Should the overpaid stars restructure?

Started by TecnoGenius, June 14, 2024, 05:25:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the overpaid stars restructure to lower salaries so we can hire the needed players?

Yes, take a bit of a pay cut so we can win again
11 (64.7%)
No, we'll take our big cheques and to heck with our record
6 (35.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: June 18, 2024, 05:25:25 AM

TecnoGenius

I ask the superstar players: do you like losing??

It's very clear that spending all the SMS on the superstar players has hurt our team in a major way.  Not only do we have no depth, but many of the guys we are starting are nowhere near starter material.  And now the injuries to our desired starters are really piling up.

Worse than that, the overpaid superstars are not performing anywhere near their pay level.  In weeks 1 & 2:

- Zach: being beaten by QBs earning hundreds of K less!  Looking awful in the pocket.  Overthrowing, underthrowing, throwing 3 INTs to 0 TD.  Not seeing the field.

- Kenny: lost for many games early in the season, just like '22 in EDM, and '23 here.  When in the game, whiffing on the passes he's paid to make.  Rarely open.

- Schoen: rarely open.  Nothing special.  Still never a circus catch.

- Demski: only a couple of catches so far?  Open once?

- Brady: highest paid NAT RB ever, injured going into week 1, out for game 2 and who knows how long.  Was averaging maybe 3YPC for week 1?  Even ELC nobody OTT had at RB today got 6.1YPC!

- Willie: maybe 1 or 2 stats so far?

Ya, it's not all their fault, ya blame a lot on their team-mates and OC/DC, ya injuries are a thing...

BUT, we now have a great opportunity with so many injured starters to go out and stock the shelves with quality, vet guys.  Not just at the injury positions, either, but at any position, like kick returner.  Not only do we have the 6GIR SMS savings to spend, but we should/could have even more if the above guys will restructure to get us some extra relief.

But that takes them manning up and going to KW saying they want to help the team.  Now, some have already done that.  Biggie is a well-known re-structuring guy.  And I think Willie did too, recently?

But what about highest-pay-in-the-league Kenny and Schoen?  And highest-paid-NAT-WR Demski?  And most of all, highest paid Bomber: Zach.  If they each pitch in 30k or something, that plus the 6GIR $$ adds up to a lot of quality you can buy from the FA leftovers and possibly-coming-up-soon castoffs.  Might even look at some trades...

So guys, you like losing?  What's it worth to help the team improve?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on June 14, 2024, 07:13:47 AMNote Collaros lte throw to a passive Shoen at the end of the game.  Rack, come back to the under thrown ball!  Make an efffort Schoen!  Of course the shot throw by Collaros was way late, and Collaros had no zip on it. Yo, Zach, it's game time, not pre-practice walk through .

Actually, I was thinking the same thing.  As a WR you need a feel for the D pressure around you, and he should have known that DB was making a cut in front.  If Schoen does 2 steps forward on that out then he either makes the completion, or he makes the D guy run into him for DPI.

As per this thread: we can excuse 88 <forgothisnamealready> on his try because he's ELC rookie, but what's $300k Schoen's excuse?  Let alone Zach's.  He needs to speed up on every aspect.  A few tenths are costing us here, there and everywhere.

Argh, it's 2:37am the day after the game and bb.com still doens't have the chart up on their chart page!
https://www.bluebombers.com/2024-depth-position-charts/
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

The last play was a desperation pass made in a torrential downpour, chances are high it's not going to work out in their favour. 

kkc60

I think you missed a couple other names: Neufeld and Bighill

Waffler

Bombers gave the contracts and now they have to live with it.

Collaros is looking his age. He'll be 36 before Labor Day. It's the old Collaros for a while and then you say "who is this guy?" or "what is he doing?". His over all accuracy is the worst I have seen in his career. And I wonder if he can still throw the deep ball like he used to. Yes, I know it was raining but I have had the concerns a while.

My answer to this thread was a post I made in the off-season. I suggested going forward with Dru Brown at less than half the price and keep our depth elsewhere. Maybe 3 other posters thought that was a good idea, the rest said stupid. I can accept that the run may be over but I thought they would be building towards next year when we host the Cup. We might have painted ourselves into a corner on that front.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

BomberFan73

Do the players restructure their salaries after a couple good games? 
Silly thread

Jesse

Quote from: BomberFan73 on June 14, 2024, 11:51:50 AMDo the players restructure their salaries after a couple good games? 
Silly thread

And what benefit would it have? Free Agency is over.
My wife is amazing!

Road Griller

It's hard to tell without knowing the bonuses already paid. Some vets may already have a good portion for the season.

I would be shopping most of the vets if this continues but I am not sure there is much value there.  Teams generally wait for the release.

I would make Collaros the backup starting Monday and never look back. Expensive, but Streveler is on a team friendly deal so it works out and you still need a decent backup.  Which Collaros would definitely be.  Could extend his playing career as well.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 14, 2024, 05:25:25 AMI ask the superstar players: do you like losing??

It's very clear that spending all the SMS on the superstar players has hurt our team in a major way.  Not only do we have no depth, but many of the guys we are starting are nowhere near starter material.  And now the injuries to our desired starters are really piling up.

Worse than that, the overpaid superstars are not performing anywhere near their pay level.  In weeks 1 & 2:

- Zach: being beaten by QBs earning hundreds of K less!  Looking awful in the pocket.  Overthrowing, underthrowing, throwing 3 INTs to 0 TD.  Not seeing the field.

- Kenny: lost for many games early in the season, just like '22 in EDM, and '23 here.  When in the game, whiffing on the passes he's paid to make.  Rarely open.

- Schoen: rarely open.  Nothing special.  Still never a circus catch.

- Demski: only a couple of catches so far?  Open once?

- Brady: highest paid NAT RB ever, injured going into week 1, out for game 2 and who knows how long.  Was averaging maybe 3YPC for week 1?  Even ELC nobody OTT had at RB today got 6.1YPC!

- Willie: maybe 1 or 2 stats so far?

Ya, it's not all their fault, ya blame a lot on their team-mates and OC/DC, ya injuries are a thing...

BUT, we now have a great opportunity with so many injured starters to go out and stock the shelves with quality, vet guys.  Not just at the injury positions, either, but at any position, like kick returner.  Not only do we have the 6GIR SMS savings to spend, but we should/could have even more if the above guys will restructure to get us some extra relief.

But that takes them manning up and going to KW saying they want to help the team.  Now, some have already done that.  Biggie is a well-known re-structuring guy.  And I think Willie did too, recently?

But what about highest-pay-in-the-league Kenny and Schoen?  And highest-paid-NAT-WR Demski?  And most of all, highest paid Bomber: Zach.  If they each pitch in 30k or something, that plus the 6GIR $$ adds up to a lot of quality you can buy from the FA leftovers and possibly-coming-up-soon castoffs.  Might even look at some trades...

So guys, you like losing?  What's it worth to help the team improve?

Where do you think these quality replacements will come from even if SMS is not an issue? If we win the next 3 games, do vets restructure for more money? That is not the way it works.

Can you blame Lawler or Oliveria for getting injured?

Where did you buy your tin hat?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Holy moly Techno. Yikes on this thread.

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

Something previously discussed / suggested, by me at least. Our ratio allows us to potentially move towards a 3 import OL.

Now I have no idea how each of our OL have graded out or whether those on the PR are better. However, it may be something to consider. Also might consider whether Eli is a better choice at either G or C.

Eli and Feltmate might see more time as a 6 OL or FB to provide better blocking?

Lots of things we might do to shake things up, but for the most part it's things that will be done in house.

Bombers pride themselves in having players capable to play at many positions in theory.

Depending on injuries in the secondary: Alexander could move up, Hallett or Kramdi to safety and Cole to SAM.

Bring back Rivers and Upshaw, activate Woods from PR to allow for a 4 man import DL. Except for those that attended TC, we don't really know how close players like Rivers or Upshaw were to making the roster.

Is C. Smith healthy and still kicking around?

Now I'm not suggesting a massive change for the next game. Just suggesting there are variations that could be make to the AR and to strategy.

Injuries may force a few changes although performance may as well result in a different look.

It starts with can Oliveria play at a peak level. His blocking as well as his running make a large difference in protection schemes.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 14, 2024, 03:14:24 PMSomething previously discussed / suggested, by me at least. Our ratio allows us to potentially move towards a 3 import OL.

Now I have no idea how each of our OL have graded out or whether those on the PR are better. However, it may be something to consider. Also might consider whether Eli is a better choice at either G or C.

Eli and Feltmate might see more time as a 6 OL or FB to provide better blocking?

Lots of things we might do to shake things up, but for the most part it's things that will be done in house.

Bombers pride themselves in having players capable to play at many positions in theory.

Depending on injuries in the secondary: Alexander could move up, Hallett or Kramdi to safety and Cole to SAM.

Bring back Rivers and Upshaw, activate Woods from PR to allow for a 4 man import DL. Except for those that attended TC, we don't really know how close players like Rivers or Upshaw were to making the roster.

Is C. Smith healthy and still kicking around?

Now I'm not suggesting a massive change for the next game. Just suggesting there are variations that could be make to the AR and to strategy.

Injuries may force a few changes although performance may as well result in a different look.

It starts with can Oliveria play at a peak level. His blocking as well as his running make a large difference in protection schemes.

I agree with that assuming we have the upgrade either on the phone or on the PR. Whatever we can do to immediately solidify the offensive line would be top priority for next week.

theaardvark

If the team thinks someone is not pulling their weight, they will get cut.  Or traded.  Or benched.

Restructuring sends all the wrong messages. 

It says "you aren't giving us what we paid you for, but we're OK with you staying for a little less".  No.  You either earn your pay, or you leave.  If we're willing to keep you on the team, it should be regardless price.

It gives permission for a player to underachieve, to stop working hard, knowing that at worst, they might take a bit of a paycut and still be on the team. 

It also gives players pause when considering signing here.  Player X signed a big deal, and was forced to re-negotiate.  Getting cut for bad play is one thing, but getting re-negotiated for m'eh play is quite another. Not a good message to send about your team.

I have no doubt that MOS does not look at paychecks and stats lines to decide a players status.  Pretty sure, to MOS every player that is on the roster is capable of earning a starting spot regardless paycheck, and also able to earn a spot on the bench.

Micro managing $SMS based on stats is not a team building practice.  Walters makes his deals based on what he expects, and overall, he usually gets what he pays for, or more.  Bad contracts you have to eat every now and then.  But messing with a deal that is in place is bad juju.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Road Griller

Great thread BTW.  In football you are only as good as your last snap.  Everyone should be looking over their shoulder after every outing.  The team needs to looking for better alternatives at every position, every game.  That's how it works.  Everyone loves football, football loves no one.  It is brutal on and off the field.

Fans need to accept their favs won't be around forever and Father Time beats them all.

Long term successful regimes know when to cut bait.  This is new and a learning curve for everyone but tough decisions need to be made.  Coaches included.