Main Training Camp News and Observations

Started by ModAdmin, May 12, 2024, 06:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobombersgo

Quote from: kkc60 on May 12, 2024, 04:19:42 PMHopefully if it was injuries for Fayad and Randolph, we see them back later. Otherwise, no big surprises

I think Fayad will be back once healthy but I'm not sure on Randolph unless the team is really high on him.

They already have some good tackle prospects like Coleman and Vanterpool in camp.

DCM

As of 12:44PM

@Wpg_BlueBombers
Not yet - we will update X when we have a confirmed time!

https://twitter.com/Wpg_BlueBombers/status/1789713342975578160
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

DCM

@DarrinBauming
Aim is 2:30 this afternoon at the stadium, while a move indoors just down the street at Winnipeg Soccer Federation South is a possibility. #Bombers

https://twitter.com/DarrinBauming/status/1789716025534996934

Expect an update from the Bombers around 1:30 apparently.

DCM

@Wpg_BlueBombers
🚨NOTICE: Training camp will open indoors at WSF South at 2:45 pm this afternoon and is open to the public.

https://twitter.com/Wpg_BlueBombers/status/1789727614489284858

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

DCM

@Wpg_BlueBombers
This afternoon's practice will now be held at Princess Auto Stadium

https://twitter.com/Wpg_BlueBombers/status/1789734647405920740

Pigskin

Surprised that Bennett was released so early in camp. But, I am not surprised the Bombers released him.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

ModAdmin

Ed Tait
@EdTaitWFC

Among the Day 1 @Wpg_BlueBombers not practising- Demski, Oliveira, Neufeld.
Still here: Ali Fayad and Kendall Randolph
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

DCM

pdirks67

Quote from: DCM on May 13, 2024, 12:02:50 AMQuick Hits | Training Camp — Day 1 Ed Tait
https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/05/12/quick-hits-training-camp-day-1-2/

Here's the deal on Anthony Bennett, from the report above:

The most notable of that group is Bennett, the Canadian DE who played in every game last year, including the playoffs. Blue Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea said the club's top pick from last year's draft came into camp with an injury and he's certainly still in the team's plans.

"He's just not healthy," said O'Shea. "He's a guy that hope would be able to rehab and we can get back in the room — we're certainly not writing him off, for sure. We picked him for a reason. We like him."

Asked later in his media session what he liked about Bennett's rookie year, O'Shea added:

"I think he did well and like every other rookie, when they come into their second year they're primed to really show a lot more. And just with the comfort level I thought he was going to come in and do great things. For that young man it's unfortunate. We give him a day to collect his thoughts and then kick him in the butt to get him going and he'll be fired up (Monday) t0 get after it and see where the rehab's going to take him."

gobombersgo

Thanks to Darrin Bauming (@DarrinBauming) for scanning the roster into X:
2024 #Bombers Training Camp Roster:

Blue In BC

Another 10 will be released by tomorrow at midnight. Probably most will be from the receiver and DB group, maybe a LB and DL.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

pdirks67

Quote from: kkc60 on May 12, 2024, 04:25:20 PMOr maybe we roll with an all canadian interior and 3 american DEs?

Jeff Hamilton speculates on the possibility of an all-Canadian interior DL in his article today:

As for Walker, there are a couple Americans vying for the spot in Miles Fox, who spent time with the B.C. Lions before being released and scooped up by the Bombers, and Jabari Ellis, whose resumé includes a brief time with the Montreal Alouettes. Don't be surprised, though, if Winnipeg considers an all-Canadian interior, with the likes of one of Cam Lawson and Tanner Schmekel pairing up with veteran Jake Thomas.

"There is a lot of competition and even those guys that were here last year, maybe they're penciled in as Day 1 starters, but I really think there are a lot of jobs up for grabs," said Thomas, who is the longest-tenured Bomber, now in his 12th training camp with the club. "I can't remember the last time we've had this many people here for training camp. The reason I've been able to play in this league so long is because I've never felt comfortable. Once you start feeling comfortable and safe, that usually doesn't work out too well for you."

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/2024/05/12/lots-of-openings-on-bombers-roster

Blue In BC

There are a few opening that will be filled by imports. Too many in competition at the moment to even guess how this will work out.

So my curiosity at the moment will be about the newer Canadians making the roster. Barring injury, this is what I'm thinking:

DB: T. Ford and Noah Hallett make the AR. It's make or break TC for Noah. Kelly and MacDougall make PR. McCarthy is released.

DE/DT: A decent chance Hubert makes the AR if not returning for school, but I'm thinking Kornelson and Samson are more likely. That makes Schmekel the odd man out depending on the whether 2 of the other 3 end up going to PR.

LB: Leroux is going back to school. I give the edge to Charbonneau to make the AR. Beeksma goes to PR but could be an actual release. A fly in the ointment is whether one of the rookie global LB's take the spot of one of the Canadian LB's on teams.

OL: Wallace has the edge. One of Kalra or Viahogiannous goes to PR. Is either returning to college?

RB/WR: Rosery might make PR until our 2024 draft choice arrives. Clercius makes the AR. Murphy makes the PR. I don't see much hope for Gassama. Too small and not likely to play teams like the other choices.

These are just idol thoughts, so we'll see if I'm close to projections.

2019 Grey Cup Champions