Main Training Camp News and Observations

Started by ModAdmin, May 12, 2024, 06:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Spent a couple of hours at TC today. They had us on the east side in the shade, so it was a bit cooler.

QB: Strev17 was looking like he's game ready. Wilson was the most impressive of the three gunning for the #3 QB position. The kid has a good arm, and has some outstanding speed.

WR: DS83 looks like he has packed on a little muscle. #86 Wilson, #2 Case, #70 Martin. Case and Wilson both have the speed to run under balls. They also caught everything thrown there way. Martin run excellent routes, and has good hands.

DL: Fox, Waggoner, Ellis, and Hubert, all have good motors.

OL: Wallace is a mountain of a man. Seems to move well. Coleman looked pretty good. Has good foot work.

LB: Petrishen, and Charbonneau, stood out. Charbonneau is a big guy that seems to get to the ball quickly. Petrishen seems to have a nose for the ball and has good speed.

DB: To many a this point. But, Tyrell Ford closes on the ball quickly, he is very quick.

The bombers have Rosery lined up as a WR. Very good hands and excellent speed.

Disappointed there was no kick returns while we were there.   
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

I see we signed Chris-Ike today. Good news.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

Quote from: Pigskin on May 13, 2024, 06:38:58 PMSpent a couple of hours at TC today. They had us on the east side in the shade, so it was a bit cooler.

QB: Strev17 was looking like he's game ready. Wilson was the most impressive of the three gunning for the #3 QB position. The kid has a good arm, and has some outstanding speed.

WR: DS83 looks like he has packed on a little muscle. #86 Wilson, #2 Case, #70 Martin. Case and Wilson both have the speed to run under balls. They also caught everything thrown there way. Martin run excellent routes, and has good hands.

DL: Fox, Waggoner, Ellis, and Hubert, all have good motors.

OL: Wallace is a mountain of a man. Seems to move well. Coleman looked pretty good. Has good foot work.

LB: Petrishen, and Charbonneau, stood out. Charbonneau is a big guy that seems to get to the ball quickly. Petrishen seems to have a nose for the ball and has good speed.

DB: To many a this point. But, Tyrell Ford closes on the ball quickly, he is very quick.

The bombers have Rosery lined up as a WR. Very good hands and excellent speed.

Disappointed there was no kick returns while we were there.   
Thanks so much for putting your time into this!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: BomberFan73 on May 12, 2024, 02:22:11 PMWhat?  We released Anthony Bennett?  We drafted him 8th OA just lastyear!

He was a bit of a flyer if I recall in the draft last year. Maybe just never panned out and they cut him early to have a shot elsewhere. Faith Ekakitie was another first round bust (First overall in 2017) along with Jade Etienne (2011) as a first rounder (not 1st overall though). Tyson Pencer another first round bust in 2012.

Kito Poblah was a supplemental draft pick in 2011, but the Bombers had to give up a 2012 first round draft pick to get him.

Hmm, a lot of these first round busts seem to have occurred before Kyle Walters become the full time GM in 2014!! ;) Still he has had a few stinkers along with I am sure Mike O'Shea & other coaches and scouts with input for every CFL draft. It's not a one man show with Walters for drafting even though the BUCK STOPS WITH HIM in the end! ;)

This is not a solitary issue for the CFL, but all pro sports. Johnny "Football" Manziel. Ryan Leaf arguable the WORST EVER NFL First overall pick! Akili Smith...even stunk out the joint with the Stamps after NFL Tossed him. Brian Bosworth....Alexandre Daigle and Nail Yakupov in the NHL..Doug Wickenheiser  (1980), Pavel Brendl (was great as a Calgary Hitmen)...too big an ego though and lazy. Relied on his pure skill too much at the NHL level when you can get away with it in Junior.

Even Ryan Getzlaf I remember playing for the Hitmen. He too relied on his pure skill at the junior level, but was lazy often times in the regular season. Had a great WHL playoffs one season before he was drafted by Anaheim. Turned into a Stanley Cup winner soon after with the Ducks and Corey Perry. 

ModAdmin

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: ichabod_crane on May 14, 2024, 12:41:55 AMHe was a bit of a flyer if I recall in the draft last year. Maybe just never panned out and they cut him early to have a shot elsewhere. Faith Ekakitie was another first round bust (First overall in 2017) along with Jade Etienne (2011) as a first rounder (not 1st overall though). Tyson Pencer another first round bust in 2012.

Kito Poblah was a supplemental draft pick in 2011, but the Bombers had to give up a 2012 first round draft pick to get him.

Hmm, a lot of these first round busts seem to have occurred before Kyle Walters become the full time GM in 2014!! ;) Still he has had a few stinkers along with I am sure Mike O'Shea & other coaches and scouts with input for every CFL draft. It's not a one man show with Walters for drafting even though the BUCK STOPS WITH HIM in the end! ;)

This is not a solitary issue for the CFL, but all pro sports. Johnny "Football" Manziel. Ryan Leaf arguable the WORST EVER NFL First overall pick! Akili Smith...even stunk out the joint with the Stamps after NFL Tossed him. Brian Bosworth....Alexandre Daigle and Nail Yakupov in the NHL..Doug Wickenheiser  (1980), Pavel Brendl (was great as a Calgary Hitmen)...too big an ego though and lazy. Relied on his pure skill too much at the NHL level when you can get away with it in Junior.

Even Ryan Getzlaf I remember playing for the Hitmen. He too relied on his pure skill at the junior level, but was lazy often times in the regular season. Had a great WHL playoffs one season before he was drafted by Anaheim. Turned into a Stanley Cup winner soon after with the Ducks and Corey Perry. 

O'Shea already clarified that Bennett has some health issue and may have failed his medical.  He said he was happy with his progress last season and looks forward to welcoming him back after he's rehabbed.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 13, 2024, 10:21:28 PMI see we signed Chris-Ike today. Good news.

I see this only on the transaction page at CFL.ca but not on 3down, from the Bombers or anywhere else. Kind of odd.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 14, 2024, 01:23:16 PMI see this only on the transaction page at CFL.ca but not on 3down, from the Bombers or anywhere else. Kind of odd.

It just showed up on 3down this morning.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

BomberFan73

More cuts coming today....doesn't it seem a bit early for cuts?  They've barely seen some of these guys practice.

ModAdmin

Quick Hits | Training Camp — Day 2

"..."It's a different mindset compared to last year," said Haba after Monday's session. "I'm more focussed, more confident, but at the same time not too confident. It's still an open competition. I just try to put my best foot forward and know that I'm competing for that spot at the end of the day."

Haba showed flashes a year ago, racking up four sacks in eight games after arriving in camp at the end of May and suiting up for a preseason game three days later and then earning a spot on the Week 1 roster. In that game he came off the bench to replace an injured Jeffcoat and racked up his first sack by bringing down Hamilton Tiger-Cats quarterback Bo Levi Mitchell. He did the same thing a week later against Saskatchewan, and the week after that against B.C.

Just imagine, then, what this guy might be able to do with a full camp under his belt and a better understanding of Winnipeg, the Blue Bombers way and the three-down game...."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/05/13/quick-hits-training-camp-day-2-3/

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: BomberFan73 on May 14, 2024, 03:10:17 PMMore cuts coming today....doesn't it seem a bit early for cuts?  They've barely seen some of these guys practice.

Yah it was always my impression that they try to process too much new information in too small a timeframe, what's the rush?  If the CFL ever becomes financially comfortable it would be nice to see them add another week or 10 days to to the TC tryouts.  Spread it out, no need to have every single player on the field every day, offence one day, defence the next, give players and coaches more time to rest, focus and absorb.

BomberFan73

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 14, 2024, 04:37:16 PMYah it was always my impression that they try to process too much new information in too small a timeframe, what's the rush?  If the CFL ever becomes financially comfortable it would be nice to see them add another week or 10 days to to the TC tryouts.  Spread it out, no need to have every single player on the field every day, offence one day, defence the next, give players and coaches more time to rest, focus and absorb.

The vets might choke hard reading that, but even a few days more for rookie camp would help, right? 

Jesse

Quote from: BomberFan73 on May 14, 2024, 03:10:17 PMMore cuts coming today....doesn't it seem a bit early for cuts?  They've barely seen some of these guys practice.

There's only cuts if you're over the roster limits.

And I guess the idea is you bring in more guys than you're able to have because there's going to be a certain number of guys who don't show up, some don't pass their physicals, others get injured, etc, etc.
My wife is amazing!

theaardvark

Quote from: BomberFan73 on May 14, 2024, 04:44:26 PMThe vets might choke hard reading that, but even a few days more for rookie camp would help, right? 

The other option would be to find some way to split up practice through the day so that each group gets a focused time for evaluation.  I know the CBA has a limit on practice time, not sure if that is changed if the groups are split up or not.  or whether the coaches have limits on their time.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.