Will Kelly play again?

Started by TecnoGenius, May 08, 2024, 07:49:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think Chad Kelly will ever play a live snap in the CFL again?

Yes
21 (77.8%)
No
6 (22.2%)
No guess
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: May 13, 2024, 07:49:06 AM

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ichabod_crane on August 18, 2024, 10:40:55 PMSo you seem to think if this woman worked elsewhere the harassment rules and punishments would be totally different? I doubt that very much. Also two sides to every story ALWAYS and if these are the HR harassment rules in place, it is what is is. There NEVER was a trial to bare all the facts and make a complete judgment too.

Yes.  Since this isn't criminal, the standard is whatever the org's "code of conduct" says it is.  So in this case it's the CFL's harassment policy.

Which leads me to my bugbear about the whole thing:

My wife was watching the end of the @BC game and SC afterwards, when the Kelly story came on.  They showed on screen and said that Kelly violated the CFL's "gender based violence" policy.  So my wife says "this ugly QB beat up ladies?".  And I said "no, he asked for dates too much, got angry at rejection, and called her names... maybe".

Low info fans and non-fans will see this news and think Kelly beats up women.  That bugs me because it's not true.  My wife pointed out that it's a bit disingenuous to word things the way they are, as she thought from the chyron that he beat up a lady.

Not once did SC ever say "he didn't beat anybody" and just tell us what he actually did.  Because it's not a nice soundbite, and they want to vilify the guy by letting everyone believe he's a violent felon.

Crucify the dude for what he actually did, great.  But why do they need to perpetuate a lie with their spin and omissions?
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on August 18, 2024, 03:17:15 PMThe people saying that it was a "greasy" tactic by the CFL (even though we have no evidence that Kelly did not have prior knowledge of the last chance deal), are the exact same people who were defending Kelly in the first place (because we didn't have evidence of his misdeeds).

It's clear the Last Chance contract was sprung at the last second because:

a) Why not just include the Last Chance stipulation in the (public) big list of things Kelly had to do to be reinstated back when he was suspended?

b) Why would Kelly and lawyers be surprised and balk if it was known?

There really is no other conceivable scenario that explains what transpired.  Besides, who cares if the league was greasy... people in positions of power do this all the time.  I am not surprised in the slightest.  If you hold all the marbles you squeeze out everything you can (and want).  There's a saying for this: it stands to reason.

Darth Ambrosie Vader: Pray I do not alter it any further.

Quote from: Jesse on August 18, 2024, 03:17:15 PMSo when they need the evidence in one case, but do not need evidence in the second case, I think we can just go ahead and assume they're not really having this discussion in good faith.

Shots fired!  I try to always argue in good faith.  You can choose to believe so or not.  I look at all available evidence and try to infer what is occurring behind the scenes.  I try to justify my positions by sticking to what civil court judges always say: "yes it's possible, but what is probable?".  Motive is everything: if we don't have the facts on everything, look for motive.  Nothing is done for no reason.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Waffler on August 18, 2024, 03:07:13 PMIf you had a meeting with him, he had done his counseling but you still got the feeling he was just playing along, what would you do? You would want the last chance clause.

Of course he's "just playing along", because you can't force-change someone's mind.  You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Now, if he has an epiphany in all of this and sees how he can be better, then maybe he'll change of his own volition.  Otherwise he'll just keep his nature under wraps and behave.  And that should be good enough.

Even though some desperately want it to be so, there are no "thought police".  Let the dude think whatever he wants to.  To force a person to think what you want them to think is evil.
Never go full Rider!

The Zipp

Dude is starting vs the riders

Guess we cheer for him to win ??  Ugh

I know what I am thinking I want to happen but I can't post it. 

dd

Quote from: The Zipp on August 20, 2024, 05:33:25 PMDude is starting vs the riders

You're not alone in that thinking Zippy!!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: The Zipp on August 20, 2024, 05:33:25 PMDude is starting vs the riders

Here I will say it for you. I hope he throws 3 picks, gets clobbered another 5 times, gets pulled out for Dukes , Argos still manage to win the game. :)
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

The Zipp

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on August 20, 2024, 05:50:18 PMHere I will say it for you. I hope he throws 3 picks, gets clobbered another 5 times, gets pulled out for Dukes , Argos still manage to win the game. :)

Close - i was being a bit more on the mean side..but I will take your version too.

GOLDMEMBER

Kelly's first interview to me seems below par for course for me. Sure he apologizes the world away but does he really believe and conduct himself in this manner now and into the future? Hmmm, last chance Chad.

Wonder if Uncle Jim makes his trips down to the big smoke for games still?

Pretty hard to like this guy. Argo fans are put in a weird scenario.

Time will tell with this guy...
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Jesse

Gotta pull for the Argos in this one. But maybe what you're hoping for can happen too.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on August 20, 2024, 06:07:03 PMKelly's first interview to me seems below par for course for me. Sure he apologizes the world away but does he really believe and conduct himself in this manner now and into the future? Hmmm, last chance Chad.

Did you get a glimpse of his babysitter?  ;D  ;D  ;D

Was the sitter refilling Kelly's sippy cup and changing his diaper?   :D  :D  :D

In any event, GO KELLY!!
(We need a strong and good Kelly to keep the East honest and hopefully get MTL all dinged up before we face them in the GC.)
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 20, 2024, 10:42:14 PM(We need a strong and good Kelly to keep the East honest and hopefully get MTL all dinged up before we face them in the GC.)
Toronto is not the same team they were last year, even with Kelly. They certainly aren't going to scare Montreal.
Go Bombers!

dd

Quote from: The Zipp on August 20, 2024, 06:06:08 PMClose - i was being a bit more on the mean side..but I will take your version too.
I was thinking alot more on the mean side!!

Pete

The guys a jerk, best case he stinks and argos still win when arbuckle goes in to replace him cause he too "rusty"

J5V

I just listened to Kelly on TSN. The media were pretty easy on him. What he had to say sounded scripted and rehearsed. I didn't like him fishing for sympathy because he'd been forced to sit for 9 games. It sounded disingenuous to hear him refer to his victim as "the person". He was right about one thing. People are entitled to their opinion.
Go Bombers!

Big Daddy

One question - where is John Murphy in all this?  Has he just flown under the radar?

I know this is specifically about Kelly, but Murphy is a big part of this as well.