Official Game Day Thread - Edmonton at Winnipeg - July 20, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, July 18, 2023, 05:42:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjrocksmb

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on July 20, 2023, 02:54:34 PM
A 4-2 record would indicate this team isn't wildly inconsistent at all. Last week's collapse and OT loss isn't the trend here.

This is a team that bounces back from a loss and knows what it takes to win consistently.

Play a smart, clean, disciplined game and there's no reason to think they won't win tonight.
Facts are presented above

NewBlue

Hoping to see something more from Bennett today.  He should get lots of reps.

Blue In BC

We should find out which Bomber team we have in 2023. Stand up and be counted.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

3rdand1.5

Quote from: NewBlue on July 20, 2023, 03:12:55 PM

The glass half full concept....I will try this approach this evening with him also...let's hope we see something positive from him

Pigskin

Agree. Time to make a couple of plays.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

I just don't understand...

Why doesn't OUR team have healthy, veteran players at every starting position, with solid starter quality backups?  Is that so hard?  Surely there are lots of players who want to play for this team...

(/-sarcastica)

Every team is going to have a few spots where rookies or lesser quality players have to start.  The keys to roster management / performance is knowing where those weaknesses are and scheming to prevent other teams from taking advantage.

Pierce/Hall have been pretty effective to date in do this, last game being the glaring example of not doing so, in the second half.  They usually both protect their own weaknesses, and take advantage of the other teams soft spots.  I think last week was a combination of things, but mainly the unknown Crum upsetting that balance. 

I don't think we will have that issue with the Elks.  We've seen Corny, we've played Jones, we know what is coming to a large part.  They are dealing with a lot of issues, and there are very exploitable spots.  Ottawa's big perceived weakness was QB, and that turned out not to be the case. 

I feel sorry for Jones, as last weeks game means we cannot, ever, ever, take the foot off the gas.  Once we get a 45 point lead, we will still be going full speed on O.  The Bombers are 15.5 point fav's last I looked, take the money line, and any over you can bet for the Bombers...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

That would be awesome! Doesn't have to be a sack, but be agressive against some weaker competition and make some plays!

Pigskin

Lawson 2DTs
JT95  4DTs
Bennett 0 DTs

Not a great group so far. These guys need to bring there A game tonight.

Teams:

Cadwallader  8
Cole 7
Hallett 5
Exume 4
Kelly 4
Maruo 3
JA27 3
Kramdi 3

Cole and Exume with limited playing time, have been very good.

WJ5 leading the team with 7 sacks.

Right now RW9 carrying the load at DT with 11 DTs and 3 sacks.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: LXTSN on July 20, 2023, 04:09:39 PM
That would be awesome! Doesn't have to be a sack, but be agressive against some weaker competition and make some plays!

Bennett hasn't even got close to a QB yet other than the one RTP he took, I don't know if he lacks strength, knowledge or technique but you would hope to see some flashes of potential.  He was an older American student that came up to Sask. to play against younger Cdn. kids, sometimes playing weaker competition makes a player stand out.

Pigskin

BO20 needs 20 plus touch's tonight. When BO20 handles the ball 20 plus times this season he goes over 100 yards rushing. BO20 is also a very good receiver, would like to see more of that.

bluebeard

Still a rookie.  He needs more seasoning.

NewBlue

Quote from: bluebeard on July 20, 2023, 06:07:44 PM

I very much disagree.  If he isn't ready, don't dress him.
He is needed tonight to create some pressure when called upon. I don't think that is asking much.

Jesse

Quote from: NewBlue on July 20, 2023, 06:44:55 PM
I very much disagree.  If he isn't ready, don't dress him.
He is needed tonight to create some pressure when called upon. I don't think that is asking much.

Exactly. He should be on the roster - especially not in this important of a role - If he's not ready.
My wife is amazing!

3rdand1.5

Quote from: bluebeard on July 20, 2023, 06:07:44 PM

Seasoning usually happens on the PR or maybe slowly rotating them in....this is he is the ONLY true DE rotational guy on outside, this is not seasoning it's right into the fire. In his case so far, the seasonings haven't stuck.....

As a comparison they have 9 DL on the depth chart, we have 6, they show 5 ends, we show 3.

That means say in a perfectly balanced game each team has 30 mins possession, and each team equally rotated DE's mathematically they have 6 mins. per player, we have 10mins. per player or 67% more time per player.
Now it will never work out exact like that, but my point is with significantly less depth our guys will play more reps. More reps for a D-line is not good, think when ours was at it's best, and look at the numbers we rostered when it was at it's peak. We are currently handicapping our d-line with lack of rotational pieces, on top of featuring a first-year guy without a stat in 6 starts (other than a bad penalty) as our main rotation piece....