Injury Report

Started by theaardvark, July 05, 2023, 09:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 13, 2023, 01:33:22 AM
I'd start the original guys (Rose, Parker, etc).  On the one hand, you're right in that things are clicking fairly well with the current crew, and you don't want to upset the apple cart.  But on the other hand, the "free bingo spot" OTT would make a great time to ease the original guys back into place and shake off the rust.  Or to think of it another way, it would let you try them out to see if either one stinks (like many want to believe about Rose), without any real downside, then return to a new guy for the subsequent game.

Keep in mind the BC loss was partly on the pretty lame play of the "new" DB guys.  Maybe Rose/Parker in that game makes INT-prone VAJ pay on some of those sure-thing throws.  Gotta believe Hall was keeping the new guys safely behind every single receiver, as explosion insurance.  That's part of what allowed VAJ to 10-20 yard dink & dunk us all night.

I don't know about you, but I'd rather have the original crew play against the next tough opponent (BC, TOR) instead of the rookies / depth guys.

Those two can practice this week but it's only week 6 for them. So they won't come off this week, or we'd take the SMS hit.  However, if there is a need due to injury or to ease them back in then next week ( week 7 ) against the Elks would be good timing , against a weaker opponent to do that. The week after that it's the Lions and getting game conditioned before that game would be another good reason.

I think Parker gets his spot back but Holm is getting better each week. Both CB's are playing well too, so I'm not sure what they decide there with Rose. We could DI Rose for a game to test game readiness, since he hasn't played or practised since early TC.

It's a good luxury and only injury forces a change that we might not want.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 13, 2023, 04:05:27 AM
I think Parker gets his spot back but Holm is getting better each week. Both CB's are playing well too, so I'm not sure what they decide there with Rose. We could DI Rose for a game to test game readiness, since he hasn't played or practised since early TC.

I don't see any world in which you keep Swarm out there when our normal guys are healthy.  Holm, as a sophomore, might be given a slightly longer rope.  Maybe.  But I wouldn't.  I'd still start the "real" guys and if they have 2-3 bad games, we can look at the depth guys again.  My money says the originals do well and we keep our depth as depth until the next injury.  They'll be important as we get down to playoff time.

Maybe for now it might come down to who can also return the best, and thus the "tryouts" at practice, at least while Grant is out.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 13, 2023, 05:10:15 AM
I don't see any world in which you keep Swarm out there when our normal guys are healthy.  Holm, as a sophomore, might be given a slightly longer rope.  Maybe.  But I wouldn't.  I'd still start the "real" guys and if they have 2-3 bad games, we can look at the depth guys again.  My money says the originals do well and we keep our depth as depth until the next injury.  They'll be important as we get down to playoff time.

Maybe for now it might come down to who can also return the best, and thus the "tryouts" at practice, at least while Grant is out.

It makes for an interesting discussion. I can't deny you may be right with the best plan. In the past our depth wasn't as good and it made the choices easier.  Sample sizes are still small but I'm really liking the new DB's. Keeping in mind that Parker has only started a few games as well. If Taylor didn't get injured last year, he wouldn't have got as much playing time.

Part of the issue is SMS above roster choices. If everybody is healthy then the weekly roster expense goes up.  I don't think any of these choices will be headed to the PR. So do we put healthy players on 1 game IR ( adding non sheltered SMS )?

I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks how they handle this and whether we have any new injuries.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

I'd just release Houston.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 13, 2023, 01:48:53 PM
I'd just release Houston.

LOL.

Last year and during TC many posters wanted to release Rose outright. Rumours were that he was struggling with injuries all of 2022. He ended up on the 6 game IR and is just now approaching health.

There were some that even wanted Jeffcoat released due to on going injury issues. Some were unhappy with the play of Lawrence.

Fans are fickle.

I don't have a specific trade in mind but we might see someone traded.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

LXTSN

My order of importance to keep on the active roster assuming our whole team is heathy:

1. Nichols
2. Lawrence
3. Alexander
4. Houston
5. Holm
6. Rose
7. Parker
8. ADS

I was a big fan of what Parker did for us last year but Holm has far exceeded anyones expectations and I think he deserves to stay on the roster!

kkc60

Quote from: LXTSN on July 13, 2023, 02:36:56 PM
My order of importance to keep on the active roster assuming our whole team is heathy:

1. Nichols
2. Lawrence
3. Alexander
4. Houston
5. Holm
6. Rose
7. Parker
8. ADS

I was a big fan of what Parker did for us last year but Holm has far exceeded anyones expectations and I think he deserves to stay on the roster!
Lawrence is wayyyyy too high. I would honestly put him last. He was fine last season with us and by far the weakest link in the secondary in his limited action this season.

I would go
1.Nichols
2Alexander
3.Houston
4.Holm
5.Parker
6.Rose/ADS (depends which Rose we get, last years or years priors)
7.Lawrence

The Zipp

Quote from: kkc60 on July 13, 2023, 03:00:30 PM
Lawrence is wayyyyy too high. I would honestly put him last. He was fine last season with us and by far the weakest link in the secondary in his limited action this season.

I would go
1.Nichols
2Alexander
3.Houston
4.Holm
5.Parker
6.Rose/ADS (depends which Rose we get, last years or years priors)
7.Lawrence

hard to argue with that list...tough as we haven't seen Parker or Rose this year and Lawrence has only really shown negative in the games he has played.

Secondary is tricky as these guys need reps and they need confidence - you get on a positive roll and it's great, get beat a few times and your confidence is shaky then it is going to happen again if you don't flush it.

Blue In BC

Re Lawrence: He did struggle before he was injured in game1. Not sure if he was nursing an injury from TC that got worse in game 1. We had lost Taylor and Holm was his inside DHB through pre-season and game 1. The " lists " show him at the top and the bottom.

Rose isn't getting much love either.

Those may have been factors. Lack of DL pressure on opponents QB expose the secondary. He was covering some top receivers.

The lists are interesting but a couple only list one CB and too many DHB's. IE: Holm is currently playing DHB. He may be capable of moving him to CB but that's not a certainty.

Alexander is a given at safety. Nichols is a given at DHB and may be the best in the CFL.  Perhaps create choices based on 2 DHB and 2 CB's rather than a general ranking for the rest? That would have more value?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

With the play of our DB's on ELCs, keeping players on the 6 game until completely healed is $SMS prudent.  The savings off one vet 6game stint DB can pay the ELC DB's pay on the 1 game if we need to stash them there while we see if the injured players "Masoli". 

We have no idea if a rehabbed Rose or Parker is worse, as good, or better that the lineup we are presently winning with.  And certainly not the first game back.  Run with who brung ya...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on July 13, 2023, 03:04:53 AM
:-\

To think that a few post back, you are asking for an explanation... wow.

Wow?  I was asking for clarification as to what it issue was.  They had not said anything, or that we was away from the team, just non injury related DNP and didn't dress.  Had he been in a knife fight?  VISA issues? Some speculated hi was PO'd at losing his SY duties and had demanded a trade... it could be any of a plethora of things, "Went home to attend to a family matter" would have been all the explanation needed.  But I guess the team wanted to protect his privacy, again, classy.  Unlike me.

That said, his interview on the Bombers site was cringey, the man just lost his father, and they kept asking him "was he an influence in your paying football" or  "Tell us a funny story about your father" and such when it seemed like he wanted to move on to football... my heart goes out to him for that, and props for not popping the reporter in the nose.

Again, props to the organization, the way they have handled Bighill's and Brown's very personal losses is pure class.   
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 13, 2023, 02:23:52 PM
LOL.

Last year and during TC many posters wanted to release Rose outright. Rumours were that he was struggling with injuries all of 2022. He ended up on the 6 game IR and is just now approaching health.

There were some that even wanted Jeffcoat released due to on going injury issues. Some were unhappy with the play of Lawrence.

Fans are fickle.

I don't have a specific trade in mind but we might see someone traded.

Haha whoooppsss! I meant Rose. Not enough coffee this morning. I'd absolutely keep Houston at boundry. My bad.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 13, 2023, 04:27:16 PM
Haha whoooppsss! I meant Rose. Not enough coffee this morning. I'd absolutely keep Houston at boundry. My bad.

The coaches will have more insight what the problems were in 2022 with Rose. If in fact he was playing injured that may have been the issue. He did make some great plays as well as giving up some big ones. I don't know which version we might see in 2023. So I'm not sold one way or the other. Posters that go to practice might give more insight.

If we can get Rose from 2021, then he's starting. Based on current roster and probable availability he'll be ready before Lawrence. So it's a question of bumping Swarmy or possibly Holm.

Parker may already bump Holm in a week or two and I like what he's brought in 5 games. O'Shea likes him.

Let's see which DB's make a statement to being retained as a starter.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: LXTSN on July 13, 2023, 02:36:56 PM

1. Nichols
2. Lawrence
3. Alexander
4. Houston
5. Holm
6. Rose
7. Parker
8. ADS

List could also include.

Darby

Natls.
Exume
Hallett x 2?
Kramdi

PR
Karamoko
Muhammad
Jake Kelly

When you see them listed like this it is impressive, all deserve to play when healthy, but there are only 5 secondary spots for 8 viable starters.  I don't know if it's possible to carry them all till the end of the season or if injuries will help juggle reps. and balance contentment, but they might want to look towards making a trade for other assets, such as a Natl. DE.

Next off-season I can see losing 2-3 for better opportunities to start or better pay elsewhere, so Richie Hall might as well pick his favourites in time for the playoffs and commit to them so they are wrapped up and fully committed to coming back next season.

Jesse

My starting 5 are: Rose - Parker - Alexander - Nichols - Houston
My wife is amazing!