Kongbo signs in BC...and traded to Hamilton

Started by Pete, May 21, 2023, 09:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 05, 2023, 10:40:55 PM
Hatcher bites back.

Hatch
@keonhatcher4
But you quit? Very Pro of you my boy. And you sure them feelings wasn't hurt cuz you wasn't in rotation like that?

Bryan Burnham responded too, just with a meme, but also doubting Kongbo.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

I'll believe Kongbo over the Lions' room, who probably never liked him (evil Bomber and all that).

However, we have to temper that with the fact that even in WPG-land there are a whackton of vets taking their vet days and not doing any camp stuff, PS stuff, week 1 practice stuff... How many reports have we had of X Bomber not participating over the last 4 weeks?  I'm sure it's the same in BC.  (Remember never-ever-ever-practice Loffler anyone?)

RHIP.
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 05, 2023, 11:14:38 PM
I'll believe Kongbo over the Lions' room, who probably never liked him (evil Bomber and all that).

However, we have to temper that with the fact that even in WPG-land there are a whackton of vets taking their vet days and not doing any camp stuff, PS stuff, week 1 practice stuff... How many reports have we had of X Bomber not participating over the last 4 weeks?  I'm sure it's the same in BC.  (Remember never-ever-ever-practice Loffler anyone?)

RHIP.

The difference are that our coaches are telling guys to not practice. In Vancouver it seems players have lower work ethic as suggested by Kongbo.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

M.O.A.B.

Kongbo never had a problem rotating with the Jeffs. So I dont believe Hatcher's tweet.

ModAdmin

According to coach Rick Campbell, Kongbo was not happy with the amount of reps he was getting on D.  Seems a bit odd for a guy new to the team but maybe Kongbo was creating a negative vibe among the team as well as complaining to the coach.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

theaardvark

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on June 06, 2023, 01:48:26 AM
Kongbo never had a problem rotating with the Jeffs. So I dont believe Hatcher's tweet.

Kongbo hadn't had NFL live reps when he rotated with the Jeffs....  Muamba had a completely different attitude after his NFL stint... no doubt it can change your outlook
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Ultimately, if you are rejected by the team's leadership after a week you've done something wrong. He may have had a valid point or he may not have. Regardless he went about it the wrong way because getting called out and traded a week after signing is a bad look. Fit in first.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: NewBlue on June 06, 2023, 11:53:57 AM
FIFFO?  :D

That's exactly what he failed to do.  It should be interesting with him going to Hamilton, if anything he'll be in line for less reps and he should probably refrain from telling Ja'Gared Davis how to be a pro.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 05, 2023, 08:48:52 PM
Disagree, you don't walk into a dressing room full of vets. and start making demands, he probably doesn't know half of their names nevermind the past injuries they've suffered.  It's up to the staff to determine who practices and who is best to rest, just as the Bombers do.  It sounds like he's either exhibiting signs of ego or venting personal frustration.

What demands did he make?

It's a bad look for a team that hasn't accomplished much in recent years outside of land a phenom QB who is no longer there anymore.

This reflects poorly on the Lions and I'll gladly die on that hill.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 06, 2023, 05:08:38 PM
What demands did he make?

It's a bad look for a team that hasn't accomplished much in recent years outside of land a phenom QB who is no longer there anymore.

This reflects poorly on the Lions and I'll gladly die on that hill.

Poorly?  You are being too kind...

When a player thinks his teamates aren't giving enough effort, and the *coaches* do not agree with him, especially when that player was just signed, is a NAT, has 2 GC rings, has just come back from live reps in the NFL and his only CFL time has been spent with a team that is widely known for its work ethic.

That's a signal flare sent up that BC is not holding their players up to the standard that Kongbo was accustomed to here and in the NFL, and that is not poorly, that is alarming.

The fact that the GM traded him that quick, and that cheap says a lot as well.  You have to wonder how much the owner knew about this and if he signed off, because this clusterpooch sign and trade deal that included cutting Lemon could affect seat sales... especially if the struggle out of the gate, and if Kongbo and Lemon do well.

Not a great start to the year for BC.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

ModAdmin

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on June 06, 2023, 01:48:26 AM

Kongbo was rotating in for Jeffcoat and Jefferson for a good part of the time and who were better than him.  I'm sure he would have liked more reps but he knew the two Jeffs were better and ahead of him on the depth chart.  He was also playing for a Grey Cup calibre team, more incentive to be cooperative with the Bombers.  Merely challenging teammates to be better would not likely get him turfed from the Lions.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Pete

I am curious however what if anything was said to Kongbo when they got him to sign... for instance was he told he was expected to assume a leadership role, was he signed to be a starting end etc. If it was made clear from the start to him that he was being signed as a rotational player maybe this would have been avoided or not been a bc lion

Lincoln Locomotive

Releasing Lemon and signing Kongbo raised a lot of eyebrows and if he came into the locker room he would need to "check in" with the team who may have been affected by Lemon's release.     Tough spot for anyone to be in and obviously he didn't fit in to the locker room and was subsequently traded.    Big loss for BC and a big gain for the TiCats who already have a pretty stout Defence.    Wonder if he'll dress against his former team?
Bomber fan for life

blueraid

I wonder if the leos signed Kongbo to keep him off of our roster....Many players on our club now, have taken a discount to play here because of our successes lately ....guess Kongbo didn't quite see it that way ....went for the cash and most likely is disappointed how things have gone....I wish him well in Ham....except when they play us....We could see his return here at some point ....possibly....hopefully