Kongbo signs in BC...and traded to Hamilton

Started by Pete, May 21, 2023, 09:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

BC Lions have signed Jonathan Kongbo. I know we have cap issues but this seems like a missed opportunity to me

Jesse

This is....disappointing...
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on May 21, 2023, 09:49:49 PM
BC Lions have signed Jonathan Kongbo. I know we have cap issues but this seems like a missed opportunity to me

I didn't even know he was available, don't know how the Bombers lost out on re-signing him and I don't think he has any BC roots.

the paw

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 21, 2023, 10:45:25 PM
I didn't even know he was available, don't know how the Bombers lost out on re-signing him and I don't think he has any BC roots.

Went to high school in Surrey.

He must have come available fairly recently, there was no word he was available.  It looms like he made Lemon redundant.
grab grass 'n growl

RyGuy13

Can?t always get them all back. Maybe he sees a better chance being an every down player in BC opposed to rotational here? Or maybe we are just that up there in the cap we couldn?t afford him? Good football player regardless.
At SB, #85..MILT STEEEGAAALLLL

The Zipp

That stinks...

Desjarlais and now Kongbo...guess he doesn't want a playoff cheque.

Sir Blue and Gold

pjrocksmb

Happy to see another great athlete return to our league.  Will be a pleasure to watch.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on May 21, 2023, 11:56:19 PM
Can't afford everybody.

You're right, Walters decided to spend an excess of money on an Import receiver, in doing so he left them $$ short in an area of real need.  Maybe newly acquired Anthony Bennett will be every bit as good as Kongbo and it will be a wash, but I'd be surprised if he's able to make that level of impact this season.

Pete

Unfortunately we don't know what negotiations, if any went on with Kongbo. Signing him probably meant we had to drop someone else. Although if given a choice between jeffcoat and kongbo I would have been very tempted due to the age and injury history of Jefferson.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on May 22, 2023, 12:37:47 AM
Unfortunately we don't know what negotiations, if any went on with Kongbo. Signing him probably meant we had to drop someone else. Although if given a choice between jefferson and kongbo I would have been very tempted due to the age and injury history of Jefferson.

I honestly can't remember Willie ever missing a game due to injury, you might be referring to Jeffcoat but Kongbo is only a supplement to either Jeff's performance, not a replacement.

Pete

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 22, 2023, 01:51:56 AM
I honestly can't remember Willie ever missing a game due to injury, you might be referring to Jeffcoat but Kongbo is only a supplement to either Jeff's performance, not a replacement.
you're right - corrected it, thanks!. I think with the growth Kongbo is likely to have received with his nfl experience he could have been a replacement for Jeffcoat. If healthy Jeffcoat is a great end but like the man says one of the best abilities is availability.

BLUEBOMBER

We can't get everyone..  getting Lawler and Castillo back in the fold was way way more important.

Pigskin

BC already had a number of good Canadian DL. With Kongbo coming in, BC will  probably have to make a few roster moves to stay close to the cap.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Well that sucks. Glad to see him back in the CFL but it would have been great getting him back in Winnipeg.

It's not clear if he'll get more reps in Vancouver. They are loaded with Canadian's on defence.
2019 Grey Cup Champions