BC Lions / Nathan Rourke discussion

Started by Austin85, June 26, 2022, 06:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jesse

You also want someplace that has weapons around you and isn't a complete dumpster fire. That'll bounce you out real quick.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: bomb squad on January 06, 2023, 04:51:47 PM
Cousins looks to have a solid hold on the starter's job for quite some time to come and he's very durable to boot. If I was him, I would go where the starter isn't so solid.

Could be but he's also a 34 year old QB and making a lot more than $700K. In any case I already mentioned that would allow him to move up the depth chart more quickly than some other teams.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: bomb squad on January 06, 2023, 04:51:47 PM
Cousins looks to have a solid hold on the starter's job for quite some time to come and he's very durable to boot. If I was him, I would go where the starter isn't so solid.

Yes but Cousins is also a 34 year old QB and making a lot more than $700K. The real question is could he move ahead of Mullens as the # 2 in 2023. I have no real expectation that Rourke will be the # 1 QB for any team in 2023. IMO he's looking for a chance to win the # 2 spot.

The Vikings may or may not be his best bet, that remains to be seen I suppose.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

bomb squad

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 06, 2023, 05:41:56 PM
Could be but he's also a 34 year old QB and making a lot more than $700K. In any case I already mentioned that would allow him to move up the depth chart more quickly than some other teams.

I hear you. But I would still be surprised if he signs with the Vikings for the reasons I mentioned.

Sir Blue and Gold

I doubt he'll ever be back in the CFL. He's 10x the prospect Streveler was and Strevy has managed to stay.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 06, 2023, 10:45:52 PM
I doubt he'll ever be back in the CFL. He's 10x the prospect Streveler was and Strevy has managed to stay.

But Strev wasn't signed to be a "normal #1 QB" in the NFL.  He was signed to be Strev.  Shocking, but it's worked for him.

Rourke has to prove he can be an every-down, every-game legit #1.  Yes, he might pull it off, but then again, BLM in his prime couldn't land a job in the NFL... Is Rourke better than BLM in his prime??

Who's the last CFL QB to make it as a #1 in the NFL?  Flutie?  Moon?  You have to go back quite a ways (based on my memory).  Better yet, who's the last NAT CFL QB to make it as a #1 in the NFL?  ... No one.

If after 1 year on AR @$700k he gets relegated to a PR for $350k, then it might become attractive for him to come back up and start for $600k (yes, exchange rate, mumble mumble).  Even if he makes the same or less, at least in the CFL he'll be starting, making good film, and be a superstar hero.  That counts for something.
Never go full Rider!

ichabod_crane

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 07, 2023, 12:30:58 AM
But Strev wasn't signed to be a "normal #1 QB" in the NFL.  He was signed to be Strev.  Shocking, but it's worked for him.

Rourke has to prove he can be an every-down, every-game legit #1.  Yes, he might pull it off, but then again, BLM in his prime couldn't land a job in the NFL... Is Rourke better than BLM in his prime??

Who's the last CFL QB to make it as a #1 in the NFL?  Flutie?  Moon?  You have to go back quite a ways (based on my memory).  Better yet, who's the last NAT CFL QB to make it as a #1 in the NFL?  ... No one.

If after 1 year on AR @$700k he gets relegated to a PR for $350k, then it might become attractive for him to come back up and start for $600k (yes, exchange rate, mumble mumble).  Even if he makes the same or less, at least in the CFL he'll be starting, making good film, and be a superstar hero.  That counts for something.

Jeff Garcia eventually became a #1 with San Francisco, but not right off the bat. Can?t recall any other cfl qb in the last 20 years getting a legitimate shot even at the #2 spot in the nfl.

bomb squad

Yes, he will have to prove himself to land a #1 and it remains to be seen if he will or if he will even get the chance to. As to BLM, as good as he was, he didn't have the same impact as Rourke did, even considering the short timeframe. The hype was off the charts. Bo did not get the same interest and opportunity as Rourke is getting now. Nathan got their attention, Bo didn't. Fair or not fair.

Blue In BC

Quote from: bomb squad on January 07, 2023, 02:17:30 AM
Yes, he will have to prove himself to land a #1 and it remains to be seen if he will or if he will even get the chance to. As to BLM, as good as he was, he didn't have the same impact as Rourke did, even considering the short timeframe. The hype was off the charts. Bo did not get the same interest and opportunity as Rourke is getting now. Nathan got their attention, Bo didn't. Fair or not fair.

Hype will only go so far for so long. I'm not saying he didn't deserve the hype, but that in itself is just a brief glimpse of his potential. BLM had a more extensive career with success and it still didn't end up with a good NFL offer.

So it comes down getting a chance to compete on a team that is struggling at the QB position where a real opening exists. If the team has good talent on offence then a new QB could do well. OTOH on a bad team he could get the hook quickly even if he was not the cause.

How would Rourke have looked in Ottawa for example?

I'm not sure why NFL teams he will consider or be the best fit.

He was going to the Bengals for a workout and I'd think that wouldn't be a great opportunity other than becoming the # 2 QB. Burrows is only 26 and considered one of he best in the NFL. He could be their starter for a long time as an example.

I guess it's point of view / perspective on what defines the best opportunity. Playing time or developing within a good system.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 07, 2023, 04:28:04 PM
Hype will only go so far for so long. I'm not saying he didn't deserve the hype, but that in itself is just a brief glimpse of his potential. BLM had a more extensive career with success and it still didn't end up with a good NFL offer.

So it comes down getting a chance to compete on a team that is struggling at the QB position where a real opening exists. If the team has good talent on offence then a new QB could do well. OTOH on a bad team he could get the hook quickly even if he was not the cause.

How would Rourke have looked in Ottawa for example?

I'm not sure why NFL teams he will consider or be the best fit.

He was going to the Bengals for a workout and I'd think that wouldn't be a great opportunity other than becoming the # 2 QB. Burrows is only 26 and considered one of he best in the NFL. He could be their starter for a long time as an example.

I guess it's point of view / perspective on what defines the best opportunity. Playing time or developing within a good system.

It wouldn't hurt Rourke's development to be #2 on a decent team, rather than #1 on a bad team.  He has lot's of time to work his way up the ladder and find his place.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 07, 2023, 09:27:32 PM
It wouldn't hurt Rourke's development to be #2 on a decent team, rather than #1 on a bad team.  He has lot's of time to work his way up the ladder and find his place.

That's what I'm thinking. The catch is that bad team could be drafting a QB in the 1st round. That will happen after he signs somewhere so there is a bit of a gamble in his choice.

Vegas was another team that he had a workout. They don't look very good today. Could be another destination for him.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Lincoln Locomotive

To my recollection there has never been a Canadian QB in the NFL who was a starter.   Russ Jackson was the exception and he might have made it down there as a starter.   How many Canadian QBs have been perennial starters in the CFL let alone the NFL?   Russ Jackson so yeah Rourke was exceptional and even on one leg he fought back hard against us in the Western final.   
Bomber fan for life

the paw

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on January 08, 2023, 05:07:28 PM
To my recollection there has never been a Canadian QB in the NFL who was a starter.   Russ Jackson was the exception and he might have made it down there as a starter.   How many Canadian QBs have been perennial starters in the CFL let alone the NFL?   Russ Jackson so yeah Rourke was exceptional and even on one leg he fought back hard against us in the Western final.   

Mark Rypien had a long NFL career, and was the primary starter for at least 5 seasons.  Jesse Palmer started 3 games out of the 5 years he played in the NFL.

As for Canadian starters in the CFL, in addition to Russ Jackson, Gerry Datillio was starting quality.  Greg Vavra was a marginal starter for a few years.  A more comprehensive list can be found at:

https://boxscorenews.com/missing-in-action-canadianborn-quarterbacks-p68559-90.htm
grab grass 'n growl

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: the paw on January 08, 2023, 05:33:57 PM
Mark Rypien had a long NFL career, and was the primary starter for at least 5 seasons.  Jesse Palmer started 3 games out of the 5 years he played in the NFL.

As for Canadian starters in the CFL, in addition to Russ Jackson, Gerry Datillio was starting quality.  Greg Vavra was a marginal starter for a few years.  A more comprehensive list can be found at:

https://boxscorenews.com/missing-in-action-canadianborn-quarterbacks-p68559-90.htm
Thanks for the update....so Rypien was a legit perennial starter.....and the rest had short appearances.    Russ Jackson was memorable and I was quite young when he was in his prime.    He was athletic and smart and could throw the ball on the run and from the pocket.   What's also memorable was that he never missed a game due to injury and was the only player to win both the Schenley for MOP and MOC.
https://cfhof.ca/members/russ-jackson/
Bomber fan for life