BC Lions / Nathan Rourke discussion

Started by Austin85, June 26, 2022, 06:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horseman

I loved Russ Jackson as a player and he is even a better person.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 07, 2023, 12:30:58 AM
But Strev wasn't signed to be a "normal #1 QB" in the NFL.  He was signed to be Strev.  Shocking, but it's worked for him.

Rourke has to prove he can be an every-down, every-game legit #1.  Yes, he might pull it off, but then again, BLM in his prime couldn't land a job in the NFL... Is Rourke better than BLM in his prime??

Who's the last CFL QB to make it as a #1 in the NFL?  Flutie?  Moon?  You have to go back quite a ways (based on my memory).  Better yet, who's the last NAT CFL QB to make it as a #1 in the NFL?  ... No one.

If after 1 year on AR @$700k he gets relegated to a PR for $350k, then it might become attractive for him to come back up and start for $600k (yes, exchange rate, mumble mumble).  Even if he makes the same or less, at least in the CFL he'll be starting, making good film, and be a superstar hero.  That counts for something.

Streveler was always signed as a "normal" QB in the NFL. Running QBs are surging in that league right now. They used to be a gimmick and now they're more common than your standard drop back prospect.

Blue In BC

Rourke has a work out with the Browns. That's about 12 teams that have expressed interest to date. It's anybody's guess how many offers he'll get or what he chooses to do. The only certainty is that he's not going to be in the CFL in 2023.

Impressive. Hopefully he lands on a good team that gives him some exposure on the field without putting too much on his shoulders too early. I'd hate to see him land on a bad team with a poor surrounding cast.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ModAdmin

Farhan Lalji
@FarhanLaljiTSN
2h
Nathan Rourke's workout tour concluded today in Cleveland. He visited 12 teams, a majority have made offers, several with meaningful guarantees. Rourke has been in regular contact with #BCLions throughout the process. A decision is imminent, I expect by the weekend. @TSN_Sports
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

TecnoGenius

Quote from: ModAdmin on January 12, 2023, 04:21:17 AM
Nathan Rourke?s workout tour concluded today in Cleveland. He visited 12 teams, a majority have made offers, several with meaningful guarantees. Rourke has been in regular contact with #BCLions throughout the process. A decision is imminent, I expect by the weekend. @TSN_Sports

Is it possible BC could outbid the NFL?  Or get within 100-200k so Rourke can justify staying?  Hey, crazier things have happened.  Remember the Rocket (ya, no SMS, yada yada).
Never go full Rider!

Blue In BC

Quote from: TecnoGenius on January 12, 2023, 07:16:42 AM
Is it possible BC could outbid the NFL?  Or get within 100-200k so Rourke can justify staying?  Hey, crazier things have happened.  Remember the Rocket (ya, no SMS, yada yada).

Not really. NFL minimum ELC is over $700K usd and he might get more than that. He might also see some NFL playoff money or potentially Super Bowl money.  What he might actually be guaranteed regarding chances to actually play is going to depend on where he signs.

I didn't realize that the Browns were his last workout. So he may be making a decision very quickly?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

$750,000 USD = Just over $1,000,000 CDN

CFL Team Salary Cap in 2023 = $5,510,000 CDN

...What do you think?

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 12, 2023, 12:58:05 PM
Not really. NFL minimum ELC is over $700K usd and he might get more than that. He might also see some NFL playoff money or potentially Super Bowl money.  What he might actually be guaranteed regarding chances to actually play is going to depend on where he signs.

I didn't realize that the Browns were his last workout. So he may be making a decision very quickly?

It has been suggested that we'll know by the weekend.
My wife is amazing!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 12, 2023, 01:02:49 PM

...What do you think?
Gone to the NFL....several teams have offered "significant guarantees" according to Farhan.    He was making entry level wages last year which allowed BC to bolster their lineup.   Meanwhile Nathan played lights out and was on pace to shatter every CFL QB stat in existence until.....well we'll never ever know will we.

Good luck Nathan and stay healthy so we can follow your progress in the NFL....whenever and wherever you find your team
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Not likely, why would he sidestep a career path that could potentially earn him $35-40 million/yr. if he becomes a starter?

Sec227

...What do you think?

Unfortunate reality. I wish him the best. And I hope he gets meaningful reps in. I definitely will root for him!

Blue In BC

Copied from posts over at Lionbackers. The Notes are my comments.

I have never seen a clear explanation of how the Lions would be able to sign Roarke to a lucrative contract given the cost-controlled framework for first contracts for nationals in the CBA.

Section 9.02 of the 2019 CBA states that "All Nationals will be required to sign a minimum 2 + 1 first contract and follow the salary grid at outlined below". The salary for years 1 and 2 are determined based on draft position, with some modest optional bonus and housing amounts. The third "option" year salary is negotiable but can only be maximum 10% higher than year 2.

I am assuming that the new CBA follows the same structure.

Since year 3 is an option year, does that mean that the Lions could choose not to exercise the option and then be free to sign Roarke to a more lucrative contract? Or are they expecting the league to change the rules to allow them to make a better offer? Or do they think Roarke would come back at $85,000 CDN for 2023?

I think making an exception in the CBA for national quarterbacks would be justified based on the salary differential between QBs and other positions.

I've never seen a direct answer to your question but every indication is that first contracts can be torn up if an extension is signed before the contract expires. Farhan suggests the Lions are offering Rourke $600,000-plus for this year, likely with similar numbers for any following years. Even with an extension, Rourke would still be free to check out NFL offers after the 2023 season.

Rules are made to be broken. If Rourke is willing to play for the Lions in 2023, then Lions should ignore the rules, sign Rourke for what he is worth as a starting CFL QB, then appeal to the CFL for an exemption after the fact.

Notes:

1. It's not entirely clear whether a contact can be torn up and totally ignore the current rules. IE: Pay him the big money and apply for an exemption afterwards as suggested in the last copied comment from the Lions sight.

2. I know Rourke looked really good before his injury but does that really justify paying him $600K+ as either the highest or 2nd highest salary for a CFL QB / Player? Based on what we've read about the new CBA, he could sign a 7 year contract and still be eligible to leave at the end of any season. Something is just wrong with that idea IMO.

3. Regardless, money aside there is more to signing in the NFL than just the money aspect.

I'd like to see him back in the CFL but there has to be a line drawn somewhere IMO.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

...What do you think?

I think if Hervey could pay Mike Reilly $750k 4 years ago that BC (if they really wanted to) could afford $850k now (inflation and all) for Rourke.  $850k gets you close to the base NFL offer...

Ya, BC was dumb to pay $750k and they'd be dumb to do what I'm suggesting.  I'm just pointing out how it is possible a team could tempt a top QB to stay up north.  Especially if said QB was very loyal to Canada and the CFL.  I'm not saying this is the case, but it's not outside the realm of possibilities.
Never go full Rider!

TBURGESS

I've been having the same argument on that other site.

Naylor was tweeting a while back about the CFLPA and the CFL being on board with allowing the Lions to offer Rourke more than the mandatory $85K that's in the CBA. Contract 101: You can't ignore the clause in the CBA, but if both sides of a contract sign off, in writing, on changing a clause, then that clause can be changed. My guess is that the contract clause was changed last year when the Lions asked the league to be able to pay more in the 2nd year of the contract. The league said no, but maybe they signed off on allowing an offer in the 3rd year.

QuoteSection 9.02 Length of First Contracts (starting in 2020)
(a) National Players
All Nationals will be required to sign a minimum 2 + 1 first contract and follow the salary grid at outlined below:
1st Year - Max. - Min. Salary $65,000
2nd Year 3rd Year - Max. - Min. Salary $65,000
Option year base salary to be negotiated - not to exceed 10% more than the 2nd year base salary.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.