BC Lions / Nathan Rourke discussion

Started by Austin85, June 26, 2022, 06:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waffler

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 27, 2022, 10:46:23 PM

We won the '21 GC against a team that lost their starting QB in the 1st Q... did that win still not make you happy?

Of course I was happy! They went into the big game healthy at QB though and deeper than us.  Both our #1's started. Seems fair to me.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

bomb squad

Opinions on Roarkes performance last night? I didn't know what to expect, but I thought he looked quite tentative. Just didn't look comfortable physically or mentally. I was thinking they probably should have left him in a couple more series if they really are serious about starting him next week. If I'm Campbell, I don't think I do start him next week.

Jesse

Quote from: bomb squad on October 29, 2022, 05:52:12 PM
Opinions on Roarkes performance last night? I didn't know what to expect, but I thought he looked quite tentative. Just didn't look comfortable physically or mentally. I was thinking they probably should have left him in a couple more series if they really are serious about starting him next week. If I'm Campbell, I don't think I do start him next week.

Looked bad and clearly isn?t healthy.
My wife is amazing!

GOLDMEMBER

He looked stiff and immobile to me. Nice guy though. Good Canadian kid just like ol Jake Fatboy Thomas.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Waffler

Too much being made about elevating his foot. It's precautionary against swelling. He is not 100% but I think healthy enough to be their best option right now. Plenty of guys are playing hurt, our team too. There is no tomorrow.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blue In BC

Quote from: bomb squad on October 29, 2022, 05:52:12 PM

Lions have no chance of winning with Adams so Rourke will start. Unless his ankle swells up like a watermelon after playing briefly last night.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Blue In BC on October 29, 2022, 09:54:37 PM
Lions have no chance of winning with Adams so Rourke will start. Unless his ankle swells up like a watermelon after playing briefly last night.
yup Vag just does not have the football IQ. He does not see the field well to me and gets happy feet to early.

TecnoGenius

Rourke's foot looked ok.   I was watching his movement with binocs.  He was mobile, though maybe not as much as we are used to.  His arm & head were a bit off, though.

Bomb squad is right: I thought they should have left him in a lot more.  Tons of clear rust.  Needed to work it out.  What's he going to do, work it out in the WSF??  CGY will eat him alive.  Unless he's faking so CGY under-prepares... guess he could be thinking 3 moves ahead.
Never go full Rider!

Waffler

I'm thinking it was more a test of the ankle than anything else. So from that perspective it was a success. But, yes he was rusty. Still thinking it''s a last play winner in the semi.

TBURGESS

Rourke looked rusty as expected.

The two deep balls were both short, causing the receiver to slow down & allowing the DB to catch up to make the plays. He threw an easy out into the ground towards the end of his time on the field.

He wasn't moving as well as he used to either. Pre injury, he'd have easily outrun our DL & avoided the fumble.

I didn't see tentative. He was finding the right receiver on time, but he wasn't on target enough to be truly effective.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

J5V

Quote from: TBURGESS on October 30, 2022, 02:19:03 PM
Rourke looked rusty as expected.

The two deep balls were both short, causing the receiver to slow down & allowing the DB to catch up to make the plays. He threw an easy out into the ground towards the end of his time on the field.

He wasn't moving as well as he used to either. Pre injury, he'd have easily outrun our DL & avoided the fumble.

I didn't see tentative. He was finding the right receiver on time, but he wasn't on target enough to be truly effective.

Good observations but I don't know that I'd describe it as rust. That foot was busted up bad and is full of screws, pins, and a plate. No way he can play anywhere near 100% on that bad wheel. We touched him early and often and he was hurried the whole time he was in there. If he starts against Calgary they will go after him hard and he stands a very real chance of getting killed back there. Campbell is an idiot if he plays Rourke against Calgary. At least Adams is mobile and can get you something with his feet. 
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: J5V on October 30, 2022, 08:55:38 PM
If he starts against Calgary they will go after him hard and he stands a very real chance of getting killed back there. Campbell is an idiot if he plays Rourke against Calgary. At least Adams is mobile and can get you something with his feet. 

But Rourke's reads and wind-up speed and arm strength and accuracy are so much better.  So the logical choice is to play Rourke but make him a pocket passer.  Play him like Ricky Ray or BLM.  They have a great OL with the 3 IMP advantage.  Tell him to just stay put and make his reads and great passes.  If no one is open, throw it away instead of scramble.  Do a couple of bootlegs to mix things up, but throw it away if any heat follows.

The big mistake would be to play Rourke like they played week 1 Rourke.  That is what will get him killed.  I'm not sure BC (or Rourke) is smart enough to figure this out.  But Campbell is no dummy, so maybe.

If they play VAJ for any length of time they can kiss the WSF goodbye.  Even worse, they won't grind down CGY before we have to face them.  I want a very close, rough game to bruise up both teams before the WDF.  If VAJ plays more than 2 quarters, it's going to be 45 to 10.
Never go full Rider!

bluengold204

Quote from: TecnoGenius on October 30, 2022, 09:07:11 PM
But Rourke's reads and wind-up speed and arm strength and accuracy are so much better.  So the logical choice is to play Rourke but make him a pocket passer.  Play him like Ricky Ray or BLM.  They have a great OL with the 3 IMP advantage.  Tell him to just stay put and make his reads and great passes.  If no one is open, throw it away instead of scramble.  Do a couple of bootlegs to mix things up, but throw it away if any heat follows.

The big mistake would be to play Rourke like they played week 1 Rourke.  That is what will get him killed.  I'm not sure BC (or Rourke) is smart enough to figure this out.  But Campbell is no dummy, so maybe.

If they play VAJ for any length of time they can kiss the WSF goodbye.  Even worse, they won't grind down CGY before we have to face them.  I want a very close, rough game to bruise up both teams before the WDF.  If VAJ plays more than 2 quarters, it's going to be 45 to 10.

They have beaten Calgary with VAJ not sure why you think it?s a slam dunk for Calgary

dd

Calgary is definitely improving as every week goes by, but they played a dreadful Rider team, so they looked extra good last week, and BC played us, and it was Rourke's first reps in months. I don't think Rourke will be as sharp as he needs to be to beat the Stamps, and not sure if Burnham is going to be back in the lineup, but beating them isn't out of the question. Stamps have Carey, who is deadly as a runner, but Butler is no slouch either. It s going to be closer than most think

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: dd on October 31, 2022, 01:28:01 AM
Calgary is definitely improving as every week goes by, but they played a dreadful Rider team, so they looked extra good last week, and BC played us, and it was Rourke's first reps in months. I don't think Rourke will be as sharp as he needs to be to beat the Stamps, and not sure if Burnham is going to be back in the lineup, but beating them isn't out of the question. Stamps have Carey, who is deadly as a runner, but Butler is no slouch either. It s going to be closer than most think
We can agree here.