BC Lions / Nathan Rourke discussion

Started by Austin85, June 26, 2022, 06:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on November 15, 2022, 06:24:52 PM
Well, he is a lot better than CS was in his second year. CS has been down south for three years now.

The Strevie thing always did puzzle me.  I have no idea how he ever got a shot, and how he's survived down there.  But, unlike Rourke, Strevie was never designed to be a starter there.  I guess he found a nice niche.

Quote from: the paw on November 15, 2022, 06:26:07 PM
He won't improve his NFL interest by coming back for another year either.  Half a season was plenty to show consistency and his complete skill set.  Any NFL team that would be interested has enough data, and would prefer to develop him in their program rather than letting him gain more CFL experience.

But the NFL waited for 2 full seasons of on-off starts before they came to Strevie's door.  Why would they attack Rourke earlier than Strevie?  Because they think Rourke might be a legit NFL QB??

Here's the thing, guys: Hall destroyed Rourke in both "meaningful" games.  You don't think legit NFL players and DCs won't do the same?  Rourke looked mediocre at best, crappy at worst, in the WDF.  People still only have half a real season of film on him.  You don't think they'll learn his weaknesses soon enough?  And keep in mind Rourke looked unstoppable when he was surrounded by the best WR corps in the league...

I agree on so many fronts regarding Rourke's abilities.  But he's still a kid, still can't make the most consistent reads, still can get tricked by good DCs.

If the NFL bites on him, does this indicate that even the NFL is hard up for quality QBs for every team?
Never go full Rider!

blue_or_die

Quote from: dd on November 16, 2022, 01:47:48 AM
Ya, that was ugly. Rourke has been thrust into the TSN spotlight because he?s Canadian and no doubt he loves the camera, but nobody is going to give a roaring rip about him and his passport down south. He better man up and quick

You are such a geezer.

And yeah it?s a personal attack, but you deserve it.
#Ride?

ichabod_crane

It will all depend if he gets a legitimate shot at the second stringer job. I am pretty sure BC would renegotiate his contract to at least 500k. Bouncing around nfl practice rosters won?t quite match that plus getting little reps. Long term he may be better off seasoning another year or two. Best of luck to him in any case.

BlueInCgy

The amount of people harping on Rourke?s display of emotion is disappointing.  First off, he?s a kid who feels like he let his team down.  That certainly could be overwhelming.  And is he the first guy who cried after losing a championship?  Hardly.  Would it be better if he MBT?d Campbell and have his coordinators pull him away?  Or maybe go all Maas on some gear?  My point being is it?s a high emotion high stress situation and people are going to react.  It?s human nature.

I can just see the conversation now.  ?Remember that season where Rourke was on pace to decimate every QB stat known to man.?  ?You mean that guy that cried after losing the WDF.  He?s trash, hard pass.?

3rdand1.5

He is young and talented, shown he can compete at a high level, and regardless how he looked in the WF he put up eye watering stats over his shortened season. Apparently, he has had 2 dozen teams reach out to his camp and is starting visits on the first available window. I would think it would be very naive and biased to think he doesn't have a very, very solid chance to get some serious looks and offers. I wish him the best, I hope he gets a good payday and world class coaching.

the paw

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 16, 2022, 05:36:23 AM
The Strevie thing always did puzzle me.  I have no idea how he ever got a shot, and how he's survived down there.  But, unlike Rourke, Strevie was never designed to be a starter there.  I guess he found a nice niche.

But the NFL waited for 2 full seasons of on-off starts before they came to Strevie's door.  Why would they attack Rourke earlier than Strevie?  Because they think Rourke might be a legit NFL QB??

Here's the thing, guys: Hall destroyed Rourke in both "meaningful" games.  You don't think legit NFL players and DCs won't do the same?  Rourke looked mediocre at best, crappy at worst, in the WDF.  People still only have half a real season of film on him.  You don't think they'll learn his weaknesses soon enough?  And keep in mind Rourke looked unstoppable when he was surrounded by the best WR corps in the league...

I agree on so many fronts regarding Rourke's abilities.  But he's still a kid, still can't make the most consistent reads, still can get tricked by good DCs.

If the NFL bites on him, does this indicate that even the NFL is hard up for quality QBs for every team?

Rourke put up essentially comparable numbers of attempts and completions in his 1.5 years as Streveler did in two full seasons.  So the data for evaluation is comparable.  Moreover, they are different animals.  Streveler is a running QB whom you hope can make the throws.  Rourke can make all the throws, and can also run.  Not as much of a power runner in short yardage, but he can gallop too.

The fact that Rourke didn?t have a perfect season does not detract from his accomplishments.  His completion percentage was amazing, and it wasn?t built on short screens.  He makes quick reads and gets the ball out FAST, with accuracy.  That?s the raw material that NFL QB coaches want to work with.

Yes, he had success with some of the best receivers in the CFL.  All the receivers he will be throwing to in the NFL will be better.  I love watching Burnham, Rhymes and Whitehead, but none of them stuck in the NFL.  So that?s a specious argument.

At the end of the day two thirds of NFL teams are interested.  The last Canadian who generated that kind of interest was a medical student offensive lineman who is currently sporting a Super Bowl ring.
grab grass 'n growl

Pigskin

Quote from: BlueInCgy on November 16, 2022, 01:06:54 PM
The amount of people harping on Rourke?s display of emotion is disappointing.  First off, he?s a kid who feels like he let his team down.  That certainly could be overwhelming.  And is he the first guy who cried after losing a championship?  Hardly.  Would it be better if he MBT?d Campbell and have his coordinators pull him away?  Or maybe go all Maas on some gear?  My point being is it?s a high emotion high stress situation and people are going to react.  It?s human nature.

I can just see the conversation now.  ?Remember that season where Rourke was on pace to decimate every QB stat known to man.?  ?You mean that guy that cried after losing the WDF.  He?s trash, hard pass.?

Agree totally. I can't believe people are trashing NR12 for showing emotion. Many athletes have shown that kind of emotion after losing a championship.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

PurpleReign

Rourke has interest from several teams in the NFL at the moment and will be showcasing his talent for them. His return to the Lions is in doubt.

Horseman

Quote from: BlueInCgy on November 16, 2022, 01:06:54 PM

I personally have no problem with Rourke showing his emotions, it shows he cares and badly wants to win. I would rather have a guy like this on my team as opposed to someone who doesn't seem to care.

theaardvark

Quote from: Horseman on November 16, 2022, 02:58:21 PM
I personally have no problem with Rourke showing his emotions, it shows he cares and badly wants to win. I would rather have a guy like this on my team as opposed to someone who doesn't seem to care.

You can show emotions without blubbering... I'd prefer PO's rather than weeping.  Not MBT PO'd, but upset.

I'm not sure how many other QB's we'd tolerate weeping openly...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Waffler

I think he stayed out to feel what it is like to win the west. Campbell was talking to him the whole time. Motivation for the future, no matter how much it hurt in the moment.  
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blue In BC

I won't be surprised if Rourke gets an NFL offer. The catch is about signing bonus or guaranteed money of some sort. He needs to choose a team that gives him the best shot of not ending up riding the PR bench.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

bomb squad

The crying: Let's not forget the camera and attention is on this guy constantly. I'm not sure any other player has faced nearly as much scrutiny in recent times. With that and his youth, I'm giving him a pass. I'm sure he's a little embarrassed about it himself after the fact. Let's move on.

blue_or_die

Quote from: theaardvark on November 16, 2022, 03:25:45 PM
You can show emotions without blubbering... I'd prefer PO's rather than weeping.  Not MBT PO'd, but upset.

I'm not sure how many other QB's we'd tolerate weeping openly...

If Collaros shed a tear, I would hope MOS would kick him to the curb immediately. We don't need a bunch of babies on our team, right
#Ride?

Pete

I don't think Rourke accepts a practice roster spot, the maximum he would get I believe is around $350k . If I was BC I would offer him 3 yrs at $600k ..He's that important to their franchise and in fact the CFL