Blue Bombers roster - 2021-2022

Started by gobombersgo, December 14, 2021, 05:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DM83

The sky is falling.

They should bring Bob Cameron back.
Solves the punting woes and backup QB , who never plays. Bob is pretty smart, so he could figure out who to hand the ball to.

dd

The backup Qb never plays??? Did you watch the 2021 season at all?? Tell that to Lapo in Ottawa who saw his #1 and #2 go down to injury, or Khari in Montreal, or Dickensen in Calgary or Elizondo in Edmonton who is now gonzo, or Steinhauer in Hamilton, all needed their #2 Qb s for substantial time.

A backup Qb is like insurance, you don?t need it until you need it and when you do, you really do! After being one of the few teams who didn?t get their #1 Qb hurt last year, we re due, I?d be picking up someone that can move the ball for us or it?s all for nothing.

BlueInCgy

Pretty sure most of the Buck Pierce QB era was predominantly back ups, and back up back ups?..

A viable #2 is a necessity in the CFL.

dd

Quote from: BlueInCgy on February 14, 2022, 01:33:17 AM
Pretty sure most of the Buck Pierce QB era was predominantly back ups, and back up back ups?..

A viable #2 is a necessity in the CFL.
Absolutely agree 100%, and so do most teams GMs.

TBURGESS

No the sky isn't falling & we still have lots of time to plug the holes before the season starts.

Backup QB is a huge hole right now. No, we didn't need one last year, but we have needed at least one pretty much every year in the last decade or more.

Kicker is the next big hole. We have a couple of guys who have had very limited success on the roster, but do we want to have to rely on them to win games for us when they need to?

I doubt that we bring in another FA receiver. I expect we go young and cheap.

I expect we will still have the best OL in the league, but Grey is a downgrade from Eli and a big downgrade from Desjarlais. We'll use our top pick on an O Lineman.

RB, D line and Linebackers are all set and we already have enough vet DB's around.

Considering the number and calibre of players we lost, we still look like the team to beat on paper and that is very good.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

DM83

theaardvark

There will be "serviceable" QB's with CF experience out there all the time.  The fact that rosters now only have 2 protected QB's means even more will be out there, including PR bodies.

I hope we don't get to the point where we have to sign a Micheal Bishop years after he's left the game, but if Dru Brown does not grow into the position, and we have an injury at the position, I have full faith that:

a: Kyle Walters has a rollodex just for QB's and speed-dials set.  and

b: There is not a QB that has played a snap in the CFL that wouldn't immediately answer that phone call, and have a go bag ready.

There is no need to wat up SMS on an insurance policy that may never get cashed.  If we have a QB that is on the 6 game, we have a ot of money to throw at airlifting in a replacement.  If he's not on the 6 game, there is another list of affordable short term replacements *IF* Dru Brown is not the guy.

Backup QB is literally the least worrisome issue for me.  Not that we don't have a vet, seasoned backup on the roster, but that should the need arise, this management group will handle the situation with their typical competence.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

DM83

Double Dee and other fear mongers.

In Winnipeg the Backup never plays.
I Agree we need one that can play.
but why waste $70,000.  who would come to Canada for that kind of money?  Rudy?

No one.

Maybe they should sign the graduating Junior or Bison QBs. The kid could gain tons of experience and in a few years might even learn what it is they need..  At worst he would gain lots of experience to enable him to coach.

M.O.A.B.

I believe Edm and Mtl are carrying 6 QBs each at the moment, Tor has 5 QBs. They can't carry all of those, something has to give.

DM83

theaardvark

Who knows who we have on our neg list.  We have 2 QB's on the roster because we don't sign and dump guys.  MOS and Walters did not build this vaunted culture by using those kinds of tactics.  They find a player and stick with him, until either they blossom, or play themselves out of the position.  And by play themselves out of the position, it doesn't necessarily mean only live game reps.  It can be in practice, and it can be by having a new recruit take their spot...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: theaardvark on February 14, 2022, 06:03:22 PM
Who knows who we have on our neg list.  We have 2 QB's on the roster because we don't sign and dump guys.  MOS and Walters did not build this vaunted culture by using those kinds of tactics.  They find a player and stick with him, until either they blossom, or play themselves out of the position.  And by play themselves out of the position, it doesn't necessarily mean only live game reps.  It can be in practice, and it can be by having a new recruit take their spot...

Walter admitted on his presser that they prefer someone with CFL experience for a backup QB.

Throw Long Bannatyne

The Bombers can't run a TC without at least 4 QB's, right now they only have 2, so Walters isn't done yet, some patience will be required to see how this all plays out. 

I'm surprised Matt Nichols situation hasn't been updated with any news, if he hasn't recovered from his injuries by now retirement is his only option.  Seeing as LaPo has not resigned him, I think that must be the case.  Nicholls is a driven guy, I find it hard to believe he's living in limbo without the possibility of a paycheque.

the paw

Bombers will go with Dru Brown and another prospect on the PR, and use them for sneaks and maybe as a short term replacement.  If Collaros ever took a significant injury, they would engineer a trade with Montreal for Harris, same as they dis for Matt Nichols went Willy went down, or for Collaros when Nichols went down.

We would probably pay through the nose, but I would bet dollars to doughnuts that Harris and his agent accepted the Montreal deal with a clear understanding that was a distinct possibility.

I think Bombers management remembers the prospect conveyor belt of Brink-Elliot-Goltz-etc and would not look to repeat it.  I can?t think of another proven and experienced QB that a team would be willing to deal.
grab grass 'n growl

theaardvark

I guess that the main point is that we need to develop the next Collaros, or Mitchell, or Ray... and you don't do that by loading up on used backup QB's that are never going to "turn the corner".

You recruit and develop "then next guy".  Hopefully you get into the situation where you have and Evans and a Massoli, or a Mitchell and Mayer... WE have no idea at this moment if Dru Brown will learn the CFL game and be the next one.  We have no idea if there is a guy on our neg list that can do that. 

We can be assured that there will be 4 or 5 arms in TC, one probably being the Bison's QB.  There is absolutely no rush right now, as a lot of the potential recruits will be looking at other options before deciding on an entry level job in a foreign country.