We need DB'S

Started by Austin85, June 22, 2024, 04:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austin85

Only Holm and Nichols and Ford IMO are worth keeping. Alexander is not the same since his ACL injury. We have to find better players. Bonds has had flashes but Bridges is not gonna cut it. Adams shredded our secondary,if we find players who can play in the secondary it will help.

Austin85

Also I only post negative comments as a per some people on the board here, but I'm a realist..

Sir Blue and Gold

There's definitely trouble on defense.

Not enough pass rush with four and we can't cover effectively when we bring pressure. 

We also seem to be having a ton of issues figuring out the proper depth of our zone coverages. We gave up a ton of easy first downs by playing safer coverages which I could live with if we weren't also getting beat 40 yards down the field a ton.

It has to be one or the other. Play a more aggressive zone and get beat over top sometimes or play safer and take away those deep balls - at least we need to be in position to make the play. We were getting beat by five yards in softer zone looks 40 yards down field.

Not going to work.

Jesse

I don't think plopping another new DB into the mix makes things better.

I think the biggest problem is there are too many new pieces trying to work as a single unit and there are communication breakdowns.
My wife is amazing!

Austin85

We need to make a trade for a veteran DB..

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Austin85 on June 22, 2024, 05:02:56 AMWe need to make a trade for a veteran DB..

I'm not advocating for a trade but if we make one to help our defense a better play would be for a productive defensive end.

Austin85

I agree on that as well , Willie tries his hardest we need a compliment on the other side

DM83

no one can cover man to man on a 65 yard wide field.  What the problem is the four guys called the (defensive) line have two responsibility.  Stop the run, and pressure the QB.

The defensive tackles have no game.  Jefferson, doesn't want to play, or even get hit, he's done, and the other end is non existent.

Check the stats. 

Vs. BC the players on the field not named, tried. Thank you for your service.
Who will go watch that by the Fall?

BBFANDM

Why would the Bombers not try and sign a FA DE vs a Trade isn't Kongbo available he is only 28 and has played in our System.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: BBFANDM on June 22, 2024, 05:54:13 AMWhy would the Bombers not try and sign a FA DE vs a Trade isn't Kongbo available he is only 28 and has played in our System.

Maybe because he hasn't had a sack in the CFL since 2021? Just a theory.

Blueforlife

Quote from: DM83 on June 22, 2024, 05:29:18 AMno one can cover man to man on a 65 yard wide field.  What the problem is the four guys called the (defensive) line have two responsibility.  Stop the run, and pressure the QB.

The defensive tackles have no game.  Jefferson, doesn't want to play, or even get hit, he's done, and the other end is non existent.

Check the stats. 

Vs. BC the players on the field not named, tried. Thank you for your service.
Who will go watch that by the Fall?
Willie is not done
DL need to get healthy and has depth issue.
Issues with deep ball yes

BBFANDM

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 22, 2024, 05:58:39 AMMaybe because he hasn't had a sack in the CFL since 2021? Just a theory.
To be fair I haven't seen him play in a while so I am not sure what his issues are, the last I heard it was more of an attitude problem when he was with BC. The Bombers clearly need help on the Dline and in particular DE their 1st Round pick from last year was a bust, if Kongbo is still wanting to play and the Bombers still like him I would bring him in for a look. I know he probably won't be a stats machine but if he is able to play within our D System he might be able to help us and allow us to play a better Player at another Position. And I know the Bombers got an extra Draft pick this year for playing the most Nationals last year but its time to just play the best players regardless of Nationality

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Austin85 on June 22, 2024, 04:44:06 AMOnly Holm and Nichols and Ford IMO are worth keeping. Alexander is not the same since his ACL injury. We have to find better players. Bonds has had flashes but Bridges is not gonna cut it. Adams shredded our secondary,if we find players who can play in the secondary it will help.

I say forget the DB corps.  Next man up.

Sir B&G is right: focus on the DL.

It's simple math: DBs are 5 guys and probably 4 starters are crap at the moment.  Sorry, but it's true.  We bring in 1 top DB, so what, who will care, it won't help anything.  They'll just throw away from him to the other 3 nobodies.

If/when Nichols/Parker come back, that math changes a little bit, but if just 1 guy comes back soon, the math is still against us.  If Ford shapes up (yes, magical thinking) and we have Nichols and Parker back (who sounds like a season-ender, so probably no), then we may have a stellar DB corps that can make plays.

You get a Jeffcoat-level DE and a Walker/Sayles-level DT and you can be back in business getting pressure, and that "for free" helps out the weak DBs.

Heck, just get Jeffcoat back.  As long as he gets a big salary and no signing bonus, who cares how long he's in the tub??  Throw him out there and he'll probably get injured too, who cares, doesn't cost us anything (SMS) but the weeks he plays.  It's sad to say, but we need cannon fodder right now.  Don't worry about going over cap, given his history and our current injury trajectory he'll never last the season anyhow.

But all this comes second to "topping up" the O.  O first, D second.  Not sure where any of this money is going to come from.  We may be doomed in 2024...
Never go full Rider!

Blitzer

Bombers need some faster DBs. Chasing the guy down the field without looking at the ball is useless. If the receiver slows down and the DB touches him it's pass interference. After the ball is caught it's pretty hard to knock it out of the receiver's hands. They should pay their DBs more and get faster Americans. Bombers are always weak in the secondary. But that's probably common around the whole league.

TecnoGenius

Kramdi was to blame for quite a few explosions.  Remember, he's responsible for a SB, usually.  He was getting badly burned, caught peeking back, letting guys get too deep on him, then not fast enough to keep up let alone catch up.

Kramdi might be smart and good at run stop or pressure, but he's proving horrifically bad on deep threats.  Teams have identified this and will continue to attack.  We may need to do a traditional IMP SAM just for the simple fact that we need more speed.

Maybe Kramdi can play some other position?  WILL?  A handy guy that could backup both WILL and SAM.
Never go full Rider!