We need DB'S

Started by Austin85, June 22, 2024, 04:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: BBFANDM on June 22, 2024, 06:19:09 AMTo be fair I haven't seen him play in a while so I am not sure what his issues are, the last I heard it was more of an attitude problem when he was with BC. The Bombers clearly need help on the Dline and in particular DE their 1st Round pick from last year was a bust, if Kongbo is still wanting to play and the Bombers still like him I would bring him in for a look. I know he probably won't be a stats machine but if he is able to play within our D System he might be able to help us and allow us to play a better Player at another Position. And I know the Bombers got an extra Draft pick this year for playing the most Nationals last year but its time to just play the best players regardless of Nationality

He was bad last year in Hamilton.  You may as well go after Mason Bennett.

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: DM83 on June 22, 2024, 05:29:18 AMno one can cover man to man on a 65 yard wide field.  What the problem is the four guys called the (defensive) line have two responsibility.  Stop the run, and pressure the QB.

The defensive tackles have no game.  Jefferson, doesn't want to play, or even get hit, he's done, and the other end is non existent.

Check the stats. 

Vs. BC the players on the field not named, tried. Thank you for your service.
Who will go watch that by the Fall?

The CFL has been playing 0 coverage forever.  Of course you can play it on a 65 yard field.

Blue In BC

It's a little early to write off the new DB's. Bond was playing his 3rd game and seems to be doing well. Ford is really just a rookie starter after only starting 1 game in 2022.

Bridges making his 1st start.

My real question is Alexander done? He hasn't made a good play I can remember. Perhaps it's not his fault with so many rookies including on the DL and not much pressure.

I'm not letting Kramdi off the hook but he was limited in practice this week.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 22, 2024, 01:38:05 PMIt's a little early to write off the new DB's. Bond was playing his 3rd game and seems to be doing well. Ford is really just a rookie starter after only starting 1 game in 2022.

My real question is Alexander done? He hasn't made a good play I can remember. Perhaps it's not his fault with so many rookies including on the DL and not much pressure.

Hard to know on Alexander but he's not showing up in game like he used to. Hallett probably wouldn't be noticibly different.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Austin85 on June 22, 2024, 04:45:32 AMbut I'm a realist..

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 22, 2024, 01:59:03 PMHard to know on Alexander but he's not showing up in game like he used to. 

Is he banged up? He hasn't looked like himself out there this season.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 22, 2024, 03:37:23 PM

Is he banged up? He hasn't looked like himself out there this season.

I think he was somewhat limited in TC and certainly in pre season. That may have been more of the vet day we give to so many of our older players or he may have some medical issue.

The same can be said for Bighill to some degree.

Regardless on how the 2024 season develops: Bighill, Alexander, Thomas, Gauthier, Jefferson, Bryant and Neufeld might all be players that we consider moving on from in 2025. A combination of free agency, age, retirement and SMS hit.

Note I said " consider " not cut immediately at the end of the 2024 season. So lets not go over the edge in anyone responding.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 22, 2024, 01:38:05 PMIt's a little early to write off the new DB's. Bond was playing his 3rd game and seems to be doing well. Ford is really just a rookie starter after only starting 1 game in 2022.

Logistically it's time to move on from BA, with his speed Holm looks to be the perfect candidate to replace him. I'm hoping they can integrate BA into the coaching staff, as he indicated last week in an interview that's where he would like to end up after his playing days are done.

Blueforlife

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 22, 2024, 03:55:02 PMLogistically it's time to move on from BA, with his speed Holm looks to be the perfect candidate to replace him. I'm hoping they can integrate BA into the coaching staff, as he indicated last week in an interview that's where he would like to end up after his playing days are done.
Too early to write BA off imo.

Pigskin

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 22, 2024, 03:55:02 PMLogistically it's time to move on from BA, with his speed Holm looks to be the perfect candidate to replace him. I'm hoping they can integrate BA into the coaching staff, as he indicated last week in an interview that's where he would like to end up after his playing days are done.

I agree, BA just doesn't have the closing speed anymore. I also think Holm would be an excellent replacement. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blueforlife on June 22, 2024, 06:03:57 PMToo early to write BA off imo.

Do you need to see him lope through most of this season before reaching the same conclusion? Maybe it's the assignments he's given but more times than not he's ineffective at influencing a play, be it run or pass. His best asset is now his ability to communicate.

Waffler

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 22, 2024, 03:44:25 PMRegardless on how the 2024 season develops: Bighill, Alexander, Thomas, Gauthier, Jefferson, Bryant and Neufeld might all be players that we consider moving on from in 2025. A combination of free agency, age, retirement and SMS hit.
CJOB said on the pregame that Bryant had yet to give up even one QB pressure. Raved about him.
Jefferson, still a quality player but gets no help. Not sure if they are getting value on the dollar for him.
Bighill, should already be retired.
Alexander, will have to show a lot in the remaining games. He's a vet though and right now those are in short supply in the defensive backfield.
Thomas and Gauthier I don't think are breaking the bank. If they get beat out by a rookie then so be it else they can stay.
Neufeld I would have to see more but he would be hard to replace considering the two spots we tried to fill this year.

This year I would have loved to have seen a rookie or two come in and win a job from a vet. Either MOS is too loyal or scouting is not good enough.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

Blue In BC

Quote from: Waffler on June 22, 2024, 07:21:00 PMCJOB said on the pregame that Bryant had yet to give up even one QB pressure. Raved about him.
Jefferson, still a quality player but gets no help. Not sure if they are getting value on the dollar for him.
Bighill, should already be retired.
Alexander, will have to show a lot in the remaining games. He's a vet though and right now those are in short supply in the defensive backfield.
Thomas and Gauthier I don't think are breaking the bank. If they get beat out by a rookie then so be it else they can stay.
Neufeld I would have to see more but he would be hard to replace considering the two spots we tried to fill this year.

This year I would have loved to have seen a rookie or two come in and win a job from a vet. Either MOS is too loyal or scouting is not good enough.

I only suggested they might be considered as players to move on from in 2025. I don't know who our potential free agents are going to be in 2025 but every year there are a few and they will want more money. It's the nature of the business.

The unofficial roster list includes many starters. Every team faces the same issues in the off season.

I took a quick look at the unofficial roster and we'll have another 20-25 potential free agents. Holm, Parker, Streveler, Dobson, Castillo, Sheehan, Schoen, Lawler, Bryant, Neufeld, Gauthier among others on the list.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blueforlife

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 22, 2024, 07:05:56 PMDo you need to see him lope through most of this season before reaching the same conclusion? Maybe it's the assignments he's given but more times than not he's ineffective at influencing a play, be it run or pass. His best asset is now his ability to communicate.
Half a season and at least a few games while healthy on DL and at DB.

northof30

Quote from: Blueforlife on June 22, 2024, 07:57:03 PMHalf a season and at least a few games healthy on DL and for our DB.

J5V

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 22, 2024, 04:53:11 AMThere's definitely trouble on defense.

Not enough pass rush with four and we can't cover effectively when we bring pressure. 

We also seem to be having a ton of issues figuring out the proper depth of our zone coverages. We gave up a ton of easy first downs by playing safer coverages which I could live with if we weren't also getting beat 40 yards down the field a ton.

It has to be one or the other. Play a more aggressive zone and get beat over top sometimes or play safer and take away those deep balls - at least we need to be in position to make the play. We were getting beat by five yards in softer zone looks 40 yards down field.

Not going to work.
Agree with everything you've said here. The injuries on this side of the ball really suck and to start the season we've faced 3 teams with good offensive schemes and talent that have exploited our D's weaknesses. Overall however, I feel that JY has done a decent job with what he's had to work with. In three games our D has given up 27, 23, and 26 points. That does not look like a disaster to me, in fact, with all the injuries it's pretty darn good. If our offense could have scored 30 points a game we'd be 3-0 instead of 0-3.
Go Bombers!