We need DB'S

Started by Austin85, June 22, 2024, 04:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rdand1.5

I think we have talent at DB, I think we are experiencing and going to experience some growing pains partially due to injuries, but our lack of talent along the d-line is making them look far worse.

It's not that I don't think some of the players on the d-line have talent, but they are decimated, exhausted, inexperienced and overall have not been good enough...week one they were pretty poor, week two they started pretty good, but poor roster choices to only have 6 dressed once a couple injuries kicked in, they quickly became exhausted and in essence left the Db's to do too much, then last week it was a rag tag group with zero chemistry and hardly any practice time, that gave VA enough time to have an espresso before he had to get rid of the ball, it was almost comical....

TecnoGenius

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on June 22, 2024, 09:22:33 PMI think we have talent at DB, I think we are experiencing and going to experience some growing pains partially due to injuries, but our lack of talent along the d-line is making them look far worse.

Normally we lose 1-2 DBs to FA every year.  We are designed to find decent replacements and get them up to speed, and you can do that when 3-4 of the unchanged DBs have become quality guys already from prior years.

The plan this year was to keep 4 of 5 vet DBs, losing only Houston:
Parker Nichols Alexander Holm Ford

But week 1 we were hoping to make the process work with only 3 of 5 vets because Parker out:
Bonds Nichols Alexander Holm Ford

And week 3 Nichols is out, so we have to try to keep continuity with only 2 of 5 vets!
Bonds Bridges Alexander Holm Ford

And that is too much of an ask.  There is no way you can ease these guys into their role as we normally do.  There is no way to pair the rookies with the vets.

Thus, the system breaks down and we give up 500Y and lose games.

That said, I still say ignore the DBs, just wait for IR returns, and focus on O and DL.  Ford is supposed to be the uber-God of NFL-land so I don't know what his excuse is for major suckage... but if he can shape up pronto I would move him to the other side so it's not 2 IMP rookies dying on the vine on weak side.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 22, 2024, 03:55:02 PMLogistically it's time to move on from BA, with his speed Holm looks to be the perfect candidate to replace him. I'm hoping they can integrate BA into the coaching staff, as he indicated last week in an interview that's where he would like to end up after his playing days are done.

Holm is "too good" to play FS.  And he'll command around the same salary as Nichols & Parker.  He is very fast, and that would really help, but I'd rather play a super fast athletic young(er) guy to roam around sniping passes.

Oh ya, and Holm is way too small/light to do the punishing run hits we've relied on with Loffler/Alexander.  We'd have to abandon that mode of use of FS, and while I'm all for that, I doubt we do it.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 22, 2024, 03:37:23 PMIs he banged up? He hasn't looked like himself out there this season.

He's much slower, even since last season.  And he's still being schemed as mostly-run-support.  But that could be a chicken & egg situation...

No way whatsoever we cut Alexander in-season after losing our #1 & #2 best DBs to IR...
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 22, 2024, 01:59:03 PMHard to know on Alexander but he's not showing up in game like he used to. Hallett probably wouldn't be noticibly different.

I disagree.  Hallett would allow us to play a completely different style of FS scheme.  He is one of the fastest people on the field.  Remember his 2022 FG block?  That was insane speed.

The only question is does Hallett have a nose for the ball and the IQ to predict the read?  He wasn't great when playing many series at FS, the few times he has.  BUT, we may have been using him like BA rather than like Dequoy.
Never go full Rider!

BomberFan73

I think BA is trying to do too much out there with 3 green guys.
If Nichols is back, I think you'll see a much improved group.  But who stays - Bonds or Bridges?

Pigskin

Bonds, he seems to understands the D much better.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Quote from: BomberFan73 on June 23, 2024, 02:07:44 PMI think BA is trying to do too much out there with 3 green guys.
If Nichols is back, I think you'll see a much improved group.  But who stays - Bonds or Bridges?

Bond was the starter so he stays. OTOH, we might end up keeping Bridges as well. We're losing imports on both sides of the ball to injury. It now becomes a numbers game and which players including on our PR would be most useful.

Even if Nichols is back starting we might still keep Bridges.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

I d be moving Holm to safety and take advantage of his speed across the field. BA is too slow now to be safety, he's always in a trail position vs breaking up plays

J5V

Quote from: dd on June 23, 2024, 04:23:57 PMI d be moving Holm to safety and take advantage of his speed across the field. BA is too slow now to be safety, he's always in a trail position vs breaking up plays
Not saying that wouldn't work, but offences are isolating BA by sending one guy deep and breaking another off intermediate. He often has to choose which one to cover. The real problem to me is that our DBs are getting beat in both scenarios. I saw him choose to cover the intermediate receiver, who was wide open, and we got beat deep by a receiver who was also wide open. I believe he made the right decision, and he did cover the guy, but it didn't matter as we got beat deep. What is he to do?
Go Bombers!

BomberFan73

Quote from: J5V on June 23, 2024, 04:29:52 PMNot saying that wouldn't work, but offences are isolating BA by sending one guy deep and breaking another off intermediate. He often has to choose which one to cover. The real problem to me is that our DBs are getting beat in both scenarios. I saw him choose to cover the intermediate receiver, who was wide open, and we got beat deep by a receiver who was also wide open. I believe he made the right decision, and he did cover the guy, but it didn't matter as we got beat deep. What is he to do?

Agree.  I think people are being to hard on BA.  What's he got to work with right now?

dd

Quote from: J5V on June 23, 2024, 04:29:52 PMNot saying that wouldn't work, but offences are isolating BA by sending one guy deep and breaking another off intermediate. He often has to choose which one to cover. The real problem to me is that our DBs are getting beat in both scenarios. I saw him choose to cover the intermediate receiver, who was wide open, and we got beat deep by a receiver who was also wide open. I believe he made the right decision, and he did cover the guy, but it didn't matter as we got beat deep. What is he to do?
We ve got to stop getting beat deep. If 2 guys are open, cover the deep guy, that's the one that's going to kill you. Intermediate routes are going to have someone in the area whereas the deep route only has safety help. What's he to do?? Cover the deep route so we quit giving up the big plays

theaardvark

Quote from: Austin85 on June 22, 2024, 05:02:56 AMWe need to make a trade for a veteran DB..

Seriously though, who would trade a workable veteran DB?  They'd have to have recruited someone better and cheaper.  The only way that happens is if the new recruit has managed to outplay the veteran, and its week 3.  That happens either by injury, or by the vet sucking.

Do we want and injured DB, or one that sucks?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.