Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2021/2022 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 21, 2021, 02:56:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on February 05, 2022, 06:08:17 PM
I would think AC9 would stay with a decent offer and a shot at #2 C...

You'd be wrong. He's a pending UFA and all realistic expectations are he's going to test the waters. The Jets would need to do more than make a decent offer to even be in the conversation. And this idea of "guaranteeing" him a 2C role is ridiculous when you've got two better centres on the roster in Scheifele and Dubois, not to mention smacks of favouritism.

Quote from: Pigskin on February 05, 2022, 06:16:27 PM
Copp is one year younger then MS55. So the aging out when it comes to MS55 is another head shaker.

The narrative is comical.

Scheifele is an old man, apparently. Copp is a spring chicken by comparison despite being just a year younger. So absurd.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Pigskin

The guy just isn't a 2nd. line center on this team or many teams in the NHL.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on February 05, 2022, 06:16:39 PM
You'd be wrong. He's a pending UFA and all realistic expectations are he's going to test the waters. The Jets would need to do more than make a decent offer to even be in the conversation. And this idea of "guaranteeing" him a 2C role is ridiculous when you've got two better centres on the roster in Scheifele and Dubois, not to mention smacks of favouritism.

The narrative is comical.

Scheifele is an old man, apparently. Copp is a spring chicken by comparison despite being just a year younger. So absurd.

No guarantee of C2, and if you move MS55 (the only way you can sign him to a long term deal) he is the second best C on the team...

Just saying, today, AC( is a better 200 ft player, and from the sounds of it, a better team player. 

Who knows why MS55 is lacklustre right now.. long COVID,  disgruntled by his "cap friendly" deal, or just burnt out... but unless he gets a fire lit under him, and steps up, I'm more than comfortable moving on from him.  Reading that Lowry has benched him twice so far, I can see why watching his lack of hustle... maybe a stint in the press box wakes him up...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pigskin

Well keep dreaming Copp will be our 2nd. line C. 

blue_or_die

Copp will not be here in any scenario whether Scheif is traded or not. I guess maybe if we offered some ridiculous price for a guy who may never be a stalwart top 6.
#Ride?

DM83

Jets window/ door is shut.
Schiffle has decided to quit on the team.  He is still setting up the team's usual one goal, but he refuses to play any defence.

Cheldayoff doesn't know who to sign.
But at this point the team has so many holes, they have no hope.....as usual.

Kopp should be traded. He is not alone
Wheeler is. Done
Poink was a rediculous Signing. Tiny, Mr. Give away, move him.
Third. And fourth line guys.....will any of them score a fifth goal?  No. We should play two of the five. The rest are AHL guys.

My favourite Peter Stasny,,might be done. Great assist guy though.m he needs some guys to play with.

The team has decent defemcemen.
Hellerbuck,is,grossly overpaid. The other guy, .....well the Jets will not even play him.

The team needs. Guys that would rather win, than just skate around. Tavin, Reeves should be available.
The Jets should dump,some salaries, hellerbuck, Wheeler, Ehlers ( always hurt) Pionk, Kopp, and Shieffle while he still has some value ...but don't draft tiny slow forwards.

I get the feeling ownership, might be realizing they can't get players here,,so sign  and over pay mediocre guys and hope they improve with career years.  A seemingly consistent record of  top ten draft choices, provide a best as possible line up, but in realit know, we will never be  better than entertainment, not a contender.
So we should finish with a top ten draft choice.....we should we pick

The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB

Quote from: theaardvark on February 04, 2022, 06:38:14 PM
I've been a Scheifele fan for years, but he has lost me this year.  I've yelled at the screen too many times, and when the statement about team identity surfaced, that was the straw...
You cannot have a leader that does not think your team has an identity. 
But he's right, the team has no identity. Any other answer would be blowing smoke.
Scheifele has too much talent to write off at this point. He is a defensive black hole, but proper coaching could still salvage his career.
I'd purge most of the coaching staff in the offseason.
Wheeler is not tradeable with that albatross of a contract. Jets would have to move out assets with him to get any takers. Not worth it.
Move Copp and Stastny before the deadline for picks and clear some cap room. Same with Schmidt if there are any takers but I doubt it. Realistically I don't think much more will go down. Some fans are screaming for a scorched earth rebuild but I can't see that happening. Most sports writers picked the Jets to finish in the top 3 in the West this year.
Jets have a lot of players that are having disappointing years.

theaardvark

Quote from: The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB on February 07, 2022, 02:46:28 PM
But he's right, the team has no identity. Any other answer would be blowing smoke.
Scheifele has too much talent to write off at this point. He is a defensive black hole, but proper coaching could still salvage his career.
I'd purge most of the coaching staff in the offseason.
Wheeler is not tradeable with that albatross of a contract. Jets would have to move out assets with him to get any takers. Not worth it.
Move Copp and Stastny before the deadline for picks and clear some cap room. Same with Schmidt if there are any takers but I doubt it. Realistically I don't think much more will go down. Some fans are screaming for a scorched earth rebuild but I can't see that happening. Most sports writers picked the Jets to finish in the top 3 in the West this year.
Jets have a lot of players that are having disappointing years.

I don't care how true it is, you NEVER dis your team like that, especially if you are one of the leaders.  If he said something along the lines of "there have been a lot of changes and this whole COVID thing is making it difficult right now, but as one of the leaders, I am committed to bringing the team together and building a new identity..."  TAHT would be what a leader should say.  "Nope" just did not cut it.

As to saving his career, thank you for comfirming that he sucks right now.  Do we have the time and ability to "save" him?  Do we NEED to "save" him? 

As to BE26 and his contract... everyone says what a deal MS55's contract is, so package them.  There's your "asset" it takes to move BW26.  Need to bring back a lot of cap for someone to make the deal, but there have to be a lot of expensive, top notch UFA RW we could get back...

In the meantime, make sure that Copp is signable before UFA is reached.  Trading MS55 is all contingent on being able to keep AC9.  Losing both would be disasterous, unless you can sign Khadri... ;)

Do *WE*
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB

Quote from: theaardvark on February 07, 2022, 03:46:35 PM
If he said something along the lines of "there have been a lot of changes and this whole COVID thing is making it difficult right now, but as one of the leaders, I am committed to bringing the team together and building a new identity..."  TAHT would be what a leader should say.  "Nope" just did not cut it.

I assume you only have read the click bait Tory Westwood tweet on this this issue.
This is what he actually said. It's very similar to what you think he should have said:
https://www.tsn.ca/video/do-the-jets-have-an-identity-probably-not~2371266

Quote from: theaardvark on February 07, 2022, 03:46:35 PM
you NEVER dis your team like that, especially if you are one of the leaders. 

And you want to give this guy the C?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USs9AXkGpMs

PloenFan

Copp is 27 year old, and appears to be on course for perhaps 20 goals this season.

Why not keep him as part of the core for a rebuild ?

Pigskin

Quote from: PloenFan on February 07, 2022, 07:43:11 PM
What if we keep Copp and trade Lowry and Beaulieu ?

Very hard no on Lowry. We have very little toughness as it is.

theaardvark

Quote from: The Fresh Prince Of Belair, MB on February 07, 2022, 07:19:21 PM
I assume you only have read the click bait Tory Westwood tweet on this this issue.
This is what he actually said. It's very similar to what you think he should have said:
https://www.tsn.ca/video/do-the-jets-have-an-identity-probably-not~2371266

And you want to give this guy the C?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USs9AXkGpMs

Watched the MS55 clip, a little better than what Westwood portrayed it as, but no mea culpas or taking of responsibility...  part way to what I would have wanted, sure, but far from it.

As to your clip of one shift of PD80 from his Columbus days.. really?  Have you watched him play in a Jets uniform, especially with KC81 and CP91?  Yeah, that's a guy I want the C on.  He fights hard for the puck, and gets the dirty goals, and makes hits. 

This team does need an identity.  The current "leaders" have lost the room,  Not sure BW26 is capable physically of the job he used to do, leading by hustle/example, and MS55 does not seem interested in leading anymore, has zero 200' game.  Find a clip of any of MS55 shift this year... it will look like the one PD80 shift you cherry picked...

PD80 "C". AC9 and AL17 "A".  Will give the team Identity real quick....

Pigskin

Quote from: theaardvark on February 07, 2022, 08:28:34 PM
Watched the MS55 clip, a little better than what Westwood portrayed it as, but no mea culpas or taking of responsibility...  part way to what I would have wanted, sure, but far from it.

As to your clip of one shift of PD80 from his Columbus days.. really?  Have you watched him play in a Jets uniform, especially with KC81 and CP91?  Yeah, that's a guy I want the C on.  He fights hard for the puck, and gets the dirty goals, and makes hits. 

This team does need an identity.  The current "leaders" have lost the room,  Not sure BW26 is capable physically of the job he used to do, leading by hustle/example, and MS55 does not seem interested in leading anymore, has zero 200' game.  Find a clip of any of MS55 shift this year... it will look like the one PD80 shift you cherry picked...

PD80 "C". AC9 and AL17 "A".  Will give the team Identity real quick....

Copp isn't a 2nd. line C, give it up.

blue_gold_84

Jee-zus... What happened to this thread?

Wait, nevermind. I know.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

So, COVID has caught up with us again... sigh...  Pionk, Dubois and Poganski all into protocol...