Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2017/2018 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2017, 03:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_gold_84

Quote from: gbill2004 on January 02, 2018, 07:12:31 PM
Trouba's bridge deal is probably hurting him. He's not having a great season so far.

That could play into the Jets' hands as far as negotiating a new contract is concerned. To be honest, I expected more from him this season, at least offensively. He's been solid enough in his own end.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 02, 2018, 07:20:41 PM
That could play into the Jets' hands as far as negotiating a new contract is concerned. To be honest, I expected more from him this season, at least offensively. He's been solid enough in his own end.
Could help the Jets in contract negotiations, but could hurt the Jets in terms of Trouba's trade value. 

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: gbill2004 on January 02, 2018, 07:12:31 PM
Trouba?s bridge deal is probably hurting him. He?s not having a great season so far.

I'm not sure about Trouba mostly because I don't know if he grades out to be one of the best defenseman in the league. I think Laine grades as the premier goal scorer in the NHL. Even if Laine never gets any better he'll still be scoring goals because of that shot of his. I think it's pretty low risk for him to take a bridge. As he matures (hard to believe he's only 19 and could still be playing in the Juniors) he'll get better on the puck and be a better all-around player. Every once and awhile he flashes the Mats Sundin look with his big frame on the puck. Expect more of that as he gets older.

Some people want to compare his stats to Ovy but keep in mind in Ovy's rookie season Ovy was 20 years old. Liane won't be 20 until April so he'll have basically played two full seasons in the NHL already. There's a giant difference between having success and 20 vs 18. What Laine has done is nothing short of incredible.

gbill2004

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 02, 2018, 07:34:03 PM
I'm not sure about Trouba mostly because I don't know if he grades out to be one of the best defenseman in the league. I think Laine grades as the premier goal scorer in the NHL. Even if Laine never gets any better he'll still be scoring goals because of that shot of his. I think it's pretty low risk for him to take a bridge. As he matures (hard to believe he's only 19 and could still be playing in the Juniors) he'll get better on the puck and be a better all-around player. Every once and awhile he flashes the Mats Sundin look with his big frame on the puck. Expect more of that as he gets older. Some people want to compare him to Ovy but keep in mind in Ovy's rookie season Ovy was 20 years old. Liane won't be 20 until April so he'll have basically played two full seasons in the NHL already. There's a giant difference between having success and 20 vs 18. What Laine has done is nothing short of incredible.
Laine just needs to shave that beard...he looks like a potato farmer!  :D

blue_gold_84

Quote from: gbill2004 on January 02, 2018, 07:31:00 PM
Could help the Jets in contract negotiations, but could hurt the Jets in terms of Trouba's trade value

Very true. I just hope that isn't a reality the Jets have to consider and they can lock him up.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 02, 2018, 07:04:44 PM
Without a doubt. Even 8 years at $9M per would be pretty good.

I just wish we'd hear something - anything - regarding Trouba. I guess no news is good news but still, I hope Cheveldayoff can lock him up long-term. He and Morrissey are excellent together.

Beginnimg of the year there was a interview with Trouba.... he said he wont talk contract during the season but thinks a deal will get done at seasons end and hes got no problem staying in the peg.

As for him playing great in his own end i agree. And him and Morrissey i agree they are pretty awesome. As for his offencive game i think its mostly because our team is different then its been. We can now roll 4 lines just about all the time.... our transition game is alot different now. All 4 lines are big and faster then they have been. Our D just needs to get the puck and make a play to the forwards and they are gone. His need to get down the ice and jump into the play isnt needed as much this year as in years past.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

gbill2004

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on January 02, 2018, 08:04:29 PM

Beginnimg of the year there was a interview with Trouba.... he said he wont talk contract during the season but thinks a deal will get done at seasons end and hes got no problem staying in the peg.

As for him playing great in his own end i agree. And him and Morrissey i agree they are pretty awesome. As for his offencive game i think its mostly because our team is different then its been. We can now roll 4 lines just about all the time.... our transition game is alot different now. All 4 lines are big and faster then they have been. Our D just needs to get the puck and make a play to the forwards and they are gone. His need to get down the ice and jump into the play isnt needed as much this year as in years past.
But that's what agents and GMs use in contract negotiations...it's all about the comparables, which are largely based on points production.  I'd like to see Trouba sign long-term, but I'm not convinced he will - I think he wants to play in the US. Those pre-season comments could have just been said to kill any possible distraction. 

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: gbill2004 on January 02, 2018, 08:07:45 PM
But that's what agents and GMs use in contract negotiations...it's all about the comparables, which are largely based on points production.  I'd like to see Trouba sign long-term, but I'm not convinced he will - I think he wants to play in the US. Those pre-season comments could have just been said to kill any possible distraction. 

In a way thats true.... but is he scores 20 goals and ends the year at -30 thats not good either.

He may want to play in the US.....Butwhat if we move him or want to move him to a crap team? Or a team he has to play his offside? We wont move him to a winning team or a team he can play the side he wants. And there is nothing to say he will be signed by a winning team or a team he can play where he wants.

Hes on a pretty good young team that has potential to be very good for a very long time. Hes playing the side he wants and getting the min he wants.

Jus my 2 cents on it.

gbill2004

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on January 02, 2018, 08:18:25 PM
In a way thats true.... but is he scores 20 goals and ends the year at -30 thats not good either.

He may want to play in the US.....Butwhat if we move him or want to move him to a crap team? Or a team he has to play his offside? We wont move him to a winning team or a team he can play the side he wants. And there is nothing to say he will be signed by a winning team or a team he can play where he wants.

Hes on a pretty good young team that has potential to be very good for a very long time. Hes playing the side he wants and getting the min he wants.

Jus my 2 cents on it.
Right now he doesn't have a no-trade clause so we can trade him anywhere.  Having said that, no team is going to trade for him without some type of commitment that he is willing to sign with them long-term.  At least that's how we'd get the most in return, versus a one year rental. 

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: gbill2004 on January 02, 2018, 08:22:36 PM
Right now he doesn't have a no-trade clause so we can trade him anywhere.  Having said that, no team is going to trade for him without some type of commitment that he is willing to sign with them long-term.  At least that's how we'd get the most in return, versus a one year rental. 

Yup.... thats my point.

Same if he hits the open market....  nothing says he will get a long term deal for the money he wants and can play the side he wants and get the min he wants.

We can pretty much give him 3 of the 4 things he wants.

Good young team that will be good for years n years....... hes playing the side he wants.... hes getting the min he wants.

We arnt in the US   and we wont give him a massive payday.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on January 02, 2018, 08:32:25 PM

Yup.... thats my point.

Same if he hits the open market....  nothing says he will get a long term deal for the money he wants and can play the side he wants and get the min he wants.

We can pretty much give him 3 of the 4 things he wants.

Good young team that will be good for years n years....... hes playing the side he wants.... hes getting the min he wants.

We arnt in the US   and we wont give him a massive payday.
so 3 of 5

🙂
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

New_Earth_Mud

gbill2004

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on January 02, 2018, 09:10:13 PM
haha   yes 3 of 5....  hit the wrong **** key
And if you're Trouba, why not go for 5 out of 5? 

New_Earth_Mud

gbill2004

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on January 02, 2018, 10:35:58 PM

He will never get it.
1. Minutes
2. Long-term contract
3. Right side
4. Money he wants
5. US team

Those 5 items don?t seem all that difficult. Please explain why you don?t think he could get all 5.