Winnipeg Jets Discussion - 2017/2018 Season

Started by ModAdmin, September 16, 2017, 03:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New_Earth_Mud

#35.... The Godfather of Swag

gbill2004

I'm scared of what Laine's next contract will look like.  I'd say the discussion starts at $10 million, unless he's willing to take a hometown discount and to stay with his best friend Ehlers. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on January 02, 2018, 04:53:38 PM
Thats pretty crazy

Indeed. I'd imagine a Rocket Richard Trophy is in Laine's near future.

Quote from: gbill2004 on January 02, 2018, 05:03:06 PM
I'm scared of what Laine's next contract will look like.  I'd say the discussion starts at $10 million, unless he's willing to take a hometown discount and to stay with his best friend Ehlers. 

More than Ovechkin and Stamkos...? I find that hard to believe.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 02, 2018, 05:07:51 PM
Indeed. I'd imagine a Rocket Richard Trophy is in Laine's near future.
I could see him becoming a consistent 50 goal scorer. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: gbill2004 on January 02, 2018, 05:10:04 PM
I could see him becoming a consistent 50 goal scorer. 

Oh, absolutely. He's practically a top line winger already.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

blue_or_die

What's cool about Laine is that he is actually a complementary piece that wouldn't have really fit that well with the Jets 5 years ago. We drafted/developed and nurtured so many Scheifeles and Wheelers and Littles and Perreaults, as well as other skill-guys like Ehlers who have pure speed and finesse. Laine is a pure goal scorer who will absolutely be super successful because the guys we have playing around him put him in position to do what he does best.
#Ride?

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 02, 2018, 05:07:51 PM
More than Ovechkin and Stamkos...? I find that hard to believe.
Stamkos took less than market value to stay with the Lightning, and because Florida has lower state taxes.  Ovechkin is making $10 mill per season now, even though the cap hit is slightly less.  Plus those contracts were signed a while ago, especially Ovechkin's...as the cap goes up, so do salaries...just like inflation.  

If Draisaitle is getting $8.5 per season, I can't see Laine getting less than that.  

blue_or_die

Quote from: gbill2004 on January 02, 2018, 05:18:58 PM
Stamkos took less than market value to stay with the Lightning, and because Florida has lower state taxes.  Ovechkin is making $10 mill per season now, even though the cap hit is slightly less.  Plus those contracts were signed a while ago, especially Ovechkin's...as the cap goes up, so do salaries...just like inflation.  

If Draisaitle is getting $8.5 per season, I can't see Laine getting less than that.  

Yeah I agree. The market has changed recently and we are now seeing these franchise players getting 10+. However, Chevy has been successful getting guys on very fair contracts for us. I guess there's a lot that can happen between now and then that will certainly change the scenario. This includes what other players of his calibre around the league re-sign for.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: gbill2004 on January 02, 2018, 05:18:58 PM

And like Stamkos, Laine could be willing to do the same with another young, deep team on the rise in the NHL. I'm sure Stamkos isn't losing sleep on his decision and I think his recent contract will be the most prevalent measuring stick when it comes time to negotiate a long-term deal with Laine. They're very similar players in terms of style and skill set.

As for Draisaitl, he's making more than Scheifele, Kuznetsov, and Johansen, which is ridiculous. Chiarelli overpaid for him.

8 years at $8.5-9.0M AAV is doable for the organization, IMO.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

gbill2004

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 02, 2018, 05:38:05 PM
And like Stamkos, Laine could be willing to do the same with another young, deep team on the rise in the NHL. I'm sure Stamkos isn't losing sleep on his decision and I think his recent contract will be the most prevalent measuring stick when it comes time to negotiate a long-term deal with Laine. They're very similar players in terms of style and skill set.

As for Draisaitl, he's making more than Scheifele, Kuznetsov, and Johansen, which is ridiculous. Chiarelli overpaid for him.

Chiarelli does come across as a bit of a boner. 

I'd be very happy with Laine at 8x8.5. 

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on January 02, 2018, 05:38:05 PM

This is prolly what he will get..... and he will take it.

He knows full well what our team is and has. I doubt he will want to leave. Same with Trouba IMO.
#35.... The Godfather of Swag

gbill2004

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on January 02, 2018, 07:00:21 PM

He knows full well what our team is and has. I doubt he will want to leave. Same with Trouba IMO.
I think Trouba is gone. 

blue_gold_84

Quote from: gbill2004 on January 02, 2018, 05:53:21 PM
Chiarelli does come across as a bit of a boner. 

I'd be very happy with Laine at 8x8.5. 

Without a doubt. Even 8 years at $9M per would be pretty good.

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on January 02, 2018, 07:00:21 PM

I just wish we'd hear something - anything - regarding Trouba. I guess no news is good news but still, I hope Cheveldayoff can lock him up long-term. He and Morrissey are excellent together.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Sir Blue and Gold

If I were Laine I'd be asking for a bridge deal or something semi-short term I wanted to hedge my bets (3 or 4 year deal). The guy is 19 years old and one of the youngest guys on the ice every night. He could take 8 @ 8.5 or something which would work out okay, but in a couple years, the guy will probably be worth Ovy money. 8.5 ish million is a lot but 10 million+ is a lot more. The salary cap is only going to go up.

gbill2004

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on January 02, 2018, 07:04:50 PM
If I were Laine I'd be asking for a bridge deal or something semi-short term I wanted to hedge my bets (3 or 4 year deal). The guy is 19 years old and one of the youngest guys on the ice every night. He could take 8 @ 8.5 or something which would work out okay, but in a couple years, the guy will probably be worth Ovy money. 8.5 ish million is a lot but 10 million+ is a lot more. The salary cap is only going to go up.
Trouba?s bridge deal is probably hurting him. He?s not having a great season so far.