Trouble For Vernon Adams

Started by J5V, August 03, 2024, 03:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: ichabod_crane on August 08, 2024, 05:47:11 PMNew head coach now, new OC too I think? Getting that clown Chris Jones out of town probably made the entire locker room celebrate! :) Ford is a specific for certain....he just needs a legitimate chance and grow into the full time starting QB role. Edmonton is not really playing much for this year (Although they still have a chance to get into the playoffs). The mentality has to be for building toward next year and NO TEAM is building with Macleod Bethel Thompson. A good veteran backup for sure, but he lost EVERY GAME this year so nobody can say he deserves the starting role. Maybe not all his fault, but DEM'S DA BREAKS in football! ;)

Dumb to blame MBT for what's happened in Edmonton, he's a no nonsense competitor that would be a good addition for any team in the league.  Jarious Jackson is still the OC as he was under Jones.

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 08, 2024, 06:39:21 PMDumb to blame MBT for what's happened in Edmonton, he's a no nonsense competitor that would be a good addition for any team in the league.  Jarious Jackson is still the OC as he was under Jones.

I'm not blaming MBT at all. He was mainly caught up in a hail storm in Edmonton earlier. I will say though if you are a BUILDING team like Edmonton is, then you need a QB to build around. You are not contenders on the brink of a GC. MBT is soon getting long in the tooth to be honest, so you can't bank on him long term. A great backup and mentor maybe, but if Edmonton is going to swing fan interest around, he is not really the guy to do that.

Heck people on this forum were asking to run Zach out of town just a few games ago!! 🤔 I never advocated for that.

I think the Bombers can go at least 6-3 over the second half of the season with what is shaping up with returning vets and how very well our defence is playing and special teams is good as well (especially kicking game)...we just need a return man, but as long as you don't fumble or do stupid plays on returns that is acceptable. Turning the ball over is ALWAYS a bugaboo for a returner.

I hope Zach has found his groove finally. Getting better protection and rumbling on the ground certainly helps the overall offence.

BC in major trouble for a few games at least. Sask on a downward slide EVEN IF Trevor Harris comes back. Calgary is middle of the road. Edmonton maybe recovering, but could be too little too late. Like I have said the past few weeks, the WEST is wide open for the taking even for a 3rd place team if they get hot during the playoffs. Maybe not Calgary as they have not even won one road game yet!! :)  Mind you the Bombers are ALSO 0-4 on the road too! :( These two teams seem to only like home cooking. Winning in BC in 1.5 weeks will be a good road warrior start! :)

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 08, 2024, 06:11:26 PMFord has the natural physical ability to become a good to great QB. The problem is that many good runners use that skill too often and don't develop their passing skills. Part of the issue is that " runners " often get injured early and often.

Others like Flutie of D. Allen became good passers while being dangerous runners.

Hence why I stated "he just needs a legitimate chance and grow into the full time starting QB role". He is not quite there yet. I certainly see the potential though.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 08, 2024, 02:42:47 AMI thought DC's figured out Ford late last season, let him run around the backfield all he wants, just stick to the receivers like glue until someone catches him or he throws it up for grabs.

Yup.  Ford was shutdown pretty quick once the film came out in '23.  They'll do it again this season too.  He's not Mahomes.  He's more like Crum/Dukes, or maybe even a weaker/younger version of VAJ.

That said, Ford is probably the best thing for EDM right now because their OL is hot garbage.  When that's true, you cannot have a Ricky Ray pocket passer like MBT: he'll just get sacked all day.

Ford will do way better with the bad EDM situation until he gets injured flailing around the backfield.  If I'm EDM, I'm looking to airlift some quality OL in or it'll be another lost season.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 09, 2024, 06:38:30 AMYup.  Ford was shutdown pretty quick once the film came out in '23.  They'll do it again this season too.  He's not Mahomes.  He's more like Crum/Dukes, or maybe even a weaker/younger version of VAJ.

That said, Ford is probably the best thing for EDM right now because their OL is hot garbage.  When that's true, you cannot have a Ricky Ray pocket passer like MBT: he'll just get sacked all day.

Ford will do way better with the bad EDM situation until he gets injured flailing around the backfield.  If I'm EDM, I'm looking to airlift some quality OL in or it'll be another lost season.

Don't really understand what went wrong in Edmonton, Jones was always quite good in finding and bringing in new talent. I think he just had too much on his plate handling 3 jobs at once and didn't have a clue how to build a culture where players would want to stay long-term as they moved on from many terrific players in the last few years.  Also didn't help he surrounded himself with his buddies who ultimately became "yes men".

DM83

Jones's was horrible. Reminds me of Trump.  Not a leader in the 21st century.

ModAdmin

From 3rdDownNation...

...The B.C. Lions (5-3) will visit the Edmonton Elks (1-7) on Sunday, August 11 at 7:00 p.m. EDT. They will be without franchise quarterback Vernon Adams Jr. for that game and potentially the next several weeks due to a knee injury, with Jake Dolegala getting the start and Chase Brice backing up...

https://3downnation.com/2024/08/08/nominative-determinism-b-c-lions-sign-american-qb-brennan-armstrong/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

DM83

Did you know left handed QBs Balls come out with a different spin and provide a challenge for receivers to catch?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on August 11, 2024, 01:52:50 AMDid you know left handed QBs Balls come out with a different spin and provide a challenge for receivers to catch?

a) didn't know that, but makes sense

b) maybe it's easier for left-handed receivers?  :D  :D  :D
Never go full Rider!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 11, 2024, 02:09:50 AMa) didn't know that, but makes sense

b) maybe it's easier for left-handed receivers?  :D  :D  :D
I remember hearing this about Ken Stabler who was a great left handed NFL QB. The receivers had to get used to the reverse spin on the football.
Go Bombers!

Stats Junkie

Reverse spin really does mess with your eyes. It is more noticeable with a striped (CFL) ball vs. an unstriped (NFL) ball.

Back to the topic at hand:

Vernon Adams is listed as the 3rd string QB on the depth chart. I don't expect him to dress.
Twitter: @Stats_Junkie
Threads: statsjunkie71

ichabod_crane

Quote from: J5V on August 11, 2024, 02:13:00 AMI remember hearing this about Ken Stabler who was a great left handed NFL QB. The receivers had to get used to the reverse spin on the football.

THE ORIGINAL SNAKE!! Former Oakland Raiders QB in the 1970's with John Madden as head coach. They won a Super Bowl together in January, 1977.