Trouble For Vernon Adams

Started by J5V, August 03, 2024, 03:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Masoli here they come or MBT

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 07, 2024, 03:02:26 PMHard to say if that is true or not, coaches evaluated him at every stop along the way and decided not to invest in him long-term. Could be he's physically gifted like many QB's but not all that smart, which has always been a recipe for failure.

VAJ having many different coaches and playbooks happened. And that makes it more difficult to develop.

That's true.

Trying to claim he's not smart, especially after all his success in recent years, is simply disingenuous.
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

Quote from: The Zipp on August 07, 2024, 01:46:38 PMStrange cause in the Province article from yesterday this was Adams:

I'm feeling much better. We got better news than we expected," said Adams, who was wearing brace on his knee Tuesday. "It's not ligaments (damaged) or anything.

"So I'm just ready to attack rehab and get back better and stronger than ever. I need to stayed locked in mentally and do what I can for Jake, Brice and the team.

"The swelling has gone down. I'm just taking it day by day. You can't rush into it too much. You've got to take baby steps and slowly build that strength."

All of these things can mean the same thing.

Campbell's initial "weeks not months"; Adams' "good news"; the Lions' "foreseeable future" can all be under the exact same timeline.

We are obviously not privy to details and people are taking the same information and projecting positive or negative takes based on their interpretations.
My wife is amazing!

J5V

Quote from: Pete on August 07, 2024, 03:39:37 PMLot of truth to that, generally hes pretty accurate on his first read. And with the receivers hes had often they will be open, or will make the disputed catch (ie Mcinnis)
  We took that away last game and he struggled.
Especially when he couldn't run away from the pressure as we kept him in the pocket
My question is if your bc who would you rather have as your qb right now?  Thats playing in the cfl)
Y'mean other than Zach?  :-)
Go Bombers!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on August 07, 2024, 04:03:55 PMVAJ having many different coaches and playbooks happened. And that makes it more difficult to develop.

That's true.

Trying to claim he's not smart, especially after all his success in recent years, is simply disingenuous.

Depends how you mark success, he's won a few games but that's what he's well paid to do.  Like Fajardo, until he wins playoff games he'll always be questioned.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 07, 2024, 04:12:07 PMDepends how you mark success, he's won a few games but that's what he's well paid to do.

Since joining the Lions, he's posted a 20-10 record as the starting QB. That's more than a few games.

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 07, 2024, 04:12:07 PMLike Fajardo, until he wins playoff games he'll always be questioned.

The same could be said for any QB. That doesn't negate regular season achievements, though.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

DM83

It's tough to measure.  The knee is such a complicated joint.  But rest does work.  Hopefully he will take coaching to eat the ball, throw more swing or screens to the backs, and stop standing in the pocket taking hits.  This isn't the NFL. 

markf

Quote from: Jesse on August 07, 2024, 04:03:55 PMVAJ having many different coaches and playbooks happened. And that makes it more difficult to develop.

That's true.

Got dumped once, or maybe twice, for Johnny manziel. lol. Great decision making there.

I like VA but I think he puts himself in bad spots trying to do too much, and, I agree, he does not have the build for that.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

J5V

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on August 07, 2024, 04:53:36 PMI wonder if this injury is in any way similar (or related) to his knee injury last year: https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/bc-lions-qb-vernon-adams-jr-suffers-knee-injury-will-undergo-further-evaluation-1.1987142
It could very well be and like last year it'll affect his effectiveness.
Go Bombers!

Sir Blue and Gold

Did anyone ever find a source for this Vernon Adams health claim? I cannot see it.

Pete

i think it was taken out of context..in the article it says foreseeable future but goes on to say a few weeks https://www.cfl.ca/2024/08/06/rick-campbell-on-lions-starting-qb-jakes-going-to-be-the-guy/

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Stats Junkie on August 07, 2024, 03:59:57 PMThe Lions don't have any other QBs on their roster so I expect Adams will be listed as the #3 QB on the depth chart. Whether he dresses or not is the question.

If it's remotely medium-term you have to place him on the 6G pronto to get the relief you need to bring in a capable backup.  Haven't they place him on the 6G yet?

If they put him on the 1G for 4-5 weeks, how does that make any sense?

Rest him for 6+ and be ready for playoffs.  They're virtually assured 1st or 2nd already.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on August 07, 2024, 04:03:18 PMMasoli here they come or MBT

Masoli would be the far cheaper option.  And he's a high-risk high-reward choice, and BC braintrust seems to like that M.O..
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

That's true.

He's not.  He's not cerebral.  He's impulsive.  That's part of what makes him good, is he sees something and he slings it fast.  But it can work against him if DCs figure out how to trick him.

No doubt VAJ is athletically gifted, and he has a great fast release and arm, and no doubt he has high football IQ.  But he's about as smart as Cody... they aren't winning any mensa awards.

But do the best QBs ever have to be geniuses?  If there's a scale of brains to athleticism, which area makes the best QBs?  The middle?  I don't know.  The top CFL QBs of the last decade have been on the brainier side of the scale (Calvillo, BLM, Zach, Ray, Reilly, maybe Burris).  But Durant, Kelly and Cody aren't mental giants and they also won cups.  (I'd argue you have to win more than one lucky one to count as a "top CFL QB" though.)
Never go full Rider!