Rasheed Bailey released?

Started by VictorRomano, July 26, 2024, 05:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 03, 2024, 06:19:43 AMAgree that Lucky is the guy going forward.  He is threat at receiver and at kick returner.  He fit in immediately and was part of a great win against BC.  Hard to believe that Rasheed would be able, right now, to supplant him.

But can Sheed supplant Johnson or Case?

What would happen if one receiver gets hurt?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on August 04, 2024, 07:52:54 PMBut can Sheed supplant Johnson or Case?

What would happen if one receiver gets hurt?

He can't "supplant" anyone if he isn't on the team.

If a receiver gets hurt then we have players on the practice roster.

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 04, 2024, 08:15:05 PMHe can't "supplant" anyone if he isn't on the team.

If a receiver gets hurt then we have players on the practice roster.

PR not especially flush with WR right now...

81        Alston, Ravi    WR    A    6'3    209    25    Montana State
0       Mitchell, Myron WR    A    6'1    180    26    Alabama-Birmingham
87       Murphy, Jeremy    WR    N    6'1    191    25    Concordia

Bailey is affordable, and a far better option than any of these, and better than Johnson or Case right now.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on August 04, 2024, 08:18:22 PMPR not especially flush with WR right now...

Bailey is affordable, and a far better option than any of these, and better than Johnson or Case right now.

"We like the players we have" - O'Shea

Additionally, you have no idea if Bailey is affordable. He is certainly more expensive than any of those guys.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: theaardvark on August 04, 2024, 08:18:22 PMPR not especially flush with WR right now...

I don't think Bailey would accept a PR position and the pay that comes with it, nor should he, good chance he'll catch on elsewhere to compensate for injuries.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 04, 2024, 09:59:14 PMI don't think Bailey would accept a PR position and the pay that comes with it, nor should he, good chance he'll catch on elsewhere to compensate for injuries.

Whitehead and Grymes did. Bailey does know the playbook which is an advantage but their are already lots of receivers hitting the IR lists and nobody has called him as far as we know.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 04, 2024, 09:59:14 PMI don't think Bailey would accept a PR position and the pay that comes with it, nor should he, good chance he'll catch on elsewhere to compensate for injuries.

Bailey at $130k would be a very good deal, for both.  That's going to be $65k prorated.  Peanuts to have a solid starting WR who can block and covert 2nd downs.

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 04, 2024, 10:27:03 PMWhitehead and Grymes did. Bailey does know the playbook which is an advantage but their are already lots of receivers hitting the IR lists and nobody has called him as far as we know.

Lucky had no offers, and realized that he had a great chance to parlay PR into a contract due to all our injuries.

How Grymes ended up here, I'll never know.  IF he gets off the PR, its a great opportunity for both player and team. 

markf

The team probably also thinks about next season in deciding what to do.

Ie, new Young guys showing promise might be kept for their potential, not what they can do right now.

Four straight grey cup appearances, thirty  thousand at the last game , they do not have any serious pressure to win right now.

This is good for longer term team success. Seems smart to me.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on August 05, 2024, 03:59:04 PMBailey at $130k would be a very good deal, for both.  That's going to be $65k prorated.  Peanuts to have a solid starting WR who can block and covert 2nd downs.
Lucky had no offers, and realized that he had a great chance to parlay PR into a contract due to all our injuries.

How Grymes ended up here, I'll never know.  IF he gets off the PR, its a great opportunity for both player and team. 

Bailey has no offers that we know about either.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

J5V

Quote from: markf on August 05, 2024, 04:33:53 PMThe team probably also thinks about next season in deciding what to do.

Ie, new Young guys showing promise might be kept for their potential, not what they can do right now.

Four straight grey cup appearances, thirty  thousand at the last game , they do not have any serious pressure to win right now.

This is good for longer term team success. Seems smart to me.
I like your thinking here and I'm sure you're right, Bomber management must be thrilled with some of the talent and ability they discovered in many of these young players. The future is indeed looking bright.

Regardless of the rough start to the season, I think there is a sense of unfinished business with the last two Grey Cup losses this team has suffered. That sting is still there in many of our vets and certainly in the coaches and management. I think you're going to see a very determined Bomber team in the second half of the season and it wouldn't surprise me to see them not only make the playoffs but play in the Grey Cup.
Go Bombers!

Jesse

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 03, 2024, 06:19:43 AMAgree that Lucky is the guy going forward.  He is threat at receiver and at kick returner.  He fit in immediately and was part of a great win against BC.  Hard to believe that Rasheed would be able, right now, to supplant him.

Honestly, I'm not sure I believe this. It took an injury to Lucky on the roster and they rotated him with Case all night.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lucky came off for Lawler.
My wife is amazing!

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on August 05, 2024, 03:59:04 PMBailey at $130k would be a very good deal, for both. 

We are not going to offer Bailey that. He would already he signed up if we offered him any deal.
My wife is amazing!

J5V

I was surprised that we couldn't get a deal done with Lawler when he signed with Edmonton. We brought him back the following season. I was surprised that we couldn't get a deal done with Bailey when he signed with Toronto. Maybe we bring him back the following season too.
Go Bombers!

theaardvark

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 04, 2024, 08:33:10 PM"We like the players we have" - O'Shea

Additionally, you have no idea if Bailey is affordable. He is certainly more expensive than any of those guys.

Yes, we know that O'Shea will always "like the players we have".  But we picked up Lucky in spite of having those players.  Bailey got a contract this spring.  Lucky did not. 

He is within the budget we should have for receivers considering the 6 game IR savings we have had.  His total salary would likely be less than what we will get back from Schoen's IR $SMS recapture, guessing Lucky's contract would be more affordable, probably what we will save from Lawler's IR time.  Certainly the prorated contracts for both would be less than Schoen, Lawler and Wolitarski's 6game $SMS savings.

I get the choice to not sign him and save that $SMS, but man, he is an insurance policy beyond compare.

I'm just saying I'd rather have Bailey and not need him, than need him and not have him, should something happen.

theaardvark

Quote from: J5V on August 05, 2024, 06:18:15 PMI was surprised that we couldn't get a deal done with Lawler when he signed with Edmonton. We brought him back the following season. I was surprised that we couldn't get a deal done with Bailey when he signed with Toronto. Maybe we bring him back the following season too.

In the offseason, we signed Schoen and Oliviera, completely blowing our vet budget (with Lawler and Collaros already signed).  No one, player, fan, coach or GM would have prioritized Bailey over either of those two, no disrespect to Bailey.  Had either not signed here, Bailey would have been on the opening day roster here, and not Toronto.

Being a proven vet, Bringing him in as #5 on Collaro's checkdown and paying him proven vet $, (more than an ELC) would not have made sense.  Lawler, Schoen, Demski and Wolitarski were our starters and we were planning on a recruit being #5.  Now we are missing Lawler, Schoen and Wolitarski, so the scenario is far, far, far different today.

Wilson has stepped in for Schoen, Clercius for Wolitarski, and Lawler will be back soon we hope.  Lucky takes over the 5th "recruit receiver" with Wilson becoming a legit starter.  Would I rather have Bailey in the starting group over Clercius?  And have the versatility in case Lucky gets injured, or Lawler gets re-injured, or God forbid, we lose another receiver?  For a prorated price having saved huge $SMS with the 6 game stints, I think its a no brainer.

Unless he wants to be guaranteed playing time, and is worried that when our roster gets healthy he will be relegated to back up, I can't see why we wouldn't ensure our depth, especially being back in the hunt.