Rasheed Bailey released?

Started by VictorRomano, July 26, 2024, 05:21:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

100% bringing Bailey back.  ELC+$20k.  He'll have to take it.  If he comes in and starts helping Zach turn it around then he could be a Winnipeg hero for life.

Pokey stays in, Bailey takes Johnson's or Clercius spot.  Lucky can fight for one of those spots too.  When Lawler is back, we pick the better of Lucky/Pokey.

Just the morale shift from bringing back a known winner, still-producing, and 2 time GC champ could shift the team into winning gear.

That said: I thought he may have been banged up last week in TOR and he was DNP?  Of course he'd have to be healthy or he'd be useless.

Does TOR have cap woes?  Or do they have a dire need at some other spot... Not like TOR has a lot of all-star Rs... they basically have no one.
Never go full Rider!

55StickCar

Yes. If he wants to return bring him back.

Big Daddy

If he's healthy bring him back.  If not, bring him back when he is.  He's part of the culture that won (I know that doesn't necessarily mean much, but it could be a shift that Zach needs).

Blueforlife

Quote from: Big Daddy on July 26, 2024, 12:58:17 PMIf he's healthy bring him back.  If not, bring him back when he is.  He's part of the culture that won (I know that doesn't necessarily mean much, but it could be a shift that Zach needs).
If he was hurt they would have had to put him on IR no? Maybe nicked or locker room issue.  Like others said maybe cap space.  Did not see this coming.

kkc60

Sir Blue and Gold

A few things about Bailey.

I didn't at all like his halftime interview a few weeks back on TSN. It was all about him, how everyone follows him and he's the leader. Leaders don't talk like that.

The Bombers left him unsigned for quite awhile the past couple off-seasons. I think with a very strong leadership group around him he can be productive and fit in (which we do have here) but there's a lot of attitude to go along with what he brings. How he would fit into a very young receiving group and a team that is probably going to be .500 (at best) the rest of the way is a wildcard.

I'd pass.

Blue In BC

I don't understand why the Argos would release him. That said, I would discuss his possible return with his agent and / or him.

He filled a valuable role with the team.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

I have no idea what Pinball is doing.  Kelly is back on their AR, its not like they have any depth at WR (only 5 on the AR after Bailey is released), why dump Bailey. 

I don't think he signed a huge contract, so its not $SMS.  He was dinged, but if it was enough to IR him, they can't release him.  Yes, he has attitude, I guess the question is whether it pushed over from inspirational to confrontational, who knows.  The Argos don't have a lot of strong personalities on their roster. 

We chose not to sign Sheed this year because we had so much tied up in Schoen and Lawler.  That wasn't the case last year when we held off to the last minute to sign him.  I don't profess to know what the good and bad are with signing him, but I do know he contributes on the field.

Rumours on twitter are that we have reached out to him, but nothing will happen until after the game.

I think, with our present situation, and the 6 game $SMS bucks we have available, its a no brainer.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

M.O.A.B.

Bailey should be on the Bombers booth / sidelines to give tips on what offensive plays Argos might call. ;D

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 26, 2024, 09:05:05 AM100% bringing Bailey back.  ELC+$20k.  He'll have to take it.  If he comes in and starts helping Zach turn it around then he could be a Winnipeg hero for life.

Pokey stays in, Bailey takes Johnson's or Clercius spot.  Lucky can fight for one of those spots too.  When Lawler is back, we pick the better of Lucky/Pokey.

Just the morale shift from bringing back a known winner, still-producing, and 2 time GC champ could shift the team into winning gear.

Suspect Kyle has nothing to offer Bailey beyond PR pay, which is also the reason Lucky continues to sit on the PR week after week earning peanuts. It's an insult to expect Bailey to play for less than $100k and don't think it will happen. Bombers are in a salary hell pickle, which is why they continue to play 3 rookie receivers even when Zach desperately needs immediate help.  O'Shea can only respond with "crisis?, what crisis?"

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 26, 2024, 03:38:09 PMSuspect Kyle has nothing to offer Bailey beyond PR pay, which is also the reason Lucky continues to sit on the PR week after week earning peanuts. It's an insult to expect Bailey to play for less than $100k and don't expect it will happen. Bombers are in a salary hell pickle, which is why they continue to play 3 rookie receivers even when Zach desperately needs immediate help.  O'Shea can only respond with "crisis?, what crisis?"

We have cap space.  The 6 game IR has a lot of cap space on it, even with bonuses.  Its all about whether he fits, and wants to come back after we snubbed him, a small snub before re-signing him last year, and not signing him this year. 

If Sheed can forgive us, I can't see not signing him.  He takes Schoen's place.  But I can see him looking for a 2 year deal that is a good value for this year, but a big second year.  That's what I would look for as his agent, to remove the re-signing issue next year.  Can't guarantee any of it, he's not re-signing here, but at least the deal is in place and we'd have to release him to get out of it.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

DM83

That's a no- brainer.  If they had some people younger or faster,  that would be understandable.  But those three new guys are 5th  string at best...Sheed at least can catch.   Sign him and Grant when available immediately.

The Zipp

He may want to sign with a Cup contender...