CFL injuries

Started by Blue In BC, July 22, 2024, 05:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

I show there were 88 players on the 6 game IR and 21 on the 1 game IR around the league before this week.

Scott Hutter in Edmonton was injured and it has been reported that it was season ending.

Erik Brooks in Calgary looked to have broken his arm yesterday but nothing confirmed yet.

Bailey Feltmate in Winnipeg also appeared to have a serious injury this week. Not confirmed yet.

There were other injuries in games around the league awaiting confirmation.

Of most interest is the status of Fajardo in Montreal.

It's been a brutal early part of the season.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Its those darned Guardian Caps. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

DM83

It's also. This two game exhibition series.  Players are rushed in to play without proper conditioning and team time to co.ordinate.

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on July 22, 2024, 09:56:41 PMIt's also. This two game exhibition series.  Players are rushed in to play without proper conditioning and team time to co.ordinate.

Well maybe. I'm not sure about that. In the old days there were 4 pre season games and 16 regular season games. The 1st pre season game was always pretty quick, so not much has changed really. There has been less desire for vets to play in at least part of the 2nd game.

Limited hitting in practice and shorter time allowed might be a factor.

I see Ottawa just added T. Harris to the 6 game IR today after injury this weekend.

Players are bigger, faster and better athletes than in the past. That's the upside. The downside is they hit faster and harder I suppose. Most grass surfaces are now replaced with carpet on concrete. Even though those surfaces have improved I'm not sure grass is more forgiving in some cases.

I'd like to see rosters increased in size by 4. That might help rotation with larger depth on the AR and prevent some over work to prevent some injuries.

Unfortunately it's the nature of the sport being so hard hitting. We see the same issue in the NFL now too.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

Most players are supreme stud athletes who train all year long and take supplements to assist in muscle growth and recovery.

100% they are bigger and faster and when big and fast hits big and fast, ligaments, tendons and bones get broken. Helmets are made better and safer than in the past and rules have changed to help protect players which is a very good thing or else there would be even more injuries.

Agree that roster size should be increased to help restock depleted rosters due to injury makes total sense.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on July 22, 2024, 11:14:30 PMMost players are supreme stud athletes who train all year long and take supplements to assist in muscle growth and recovery.

100% they are bigger and faster and when big and fast hits big and fast, ligaments, tendons and bones get broken. Helmets are made better and safer than in the past and rules have changed to help protect players which is a very good thing or else there would be even more injuries.

Agree that roster size should be increased to help restock depleted rosters due to injury makes total sense.

Just like in hockey, bigger, stronger, faster, doesn't necessarily make for better games.

dd

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 22, 2024, 11:21:42 PMJust like in hockey, bigger, stronger, faster, doesn't necessarily make for better games.
I thought this years SC final was some of the fastest, most skilled hockey I ve seen in a long long time. Think back to the lad clutch and grab , throw the goon line out to bring some 'energy' to the game. That's was sad, disgraceful hockey

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on July 23, 2024, 12:00:53 AMI thought this years SC final was some of the fastest, most skilled hockey I ve seen in a long long time. Think back to the lad clutch and grab , throw the goon line out to bring some 'energy' to the game. That's was sad, disgraceful hockey

You need to go way back beyond that time, watch the documentary "Red Army" to see the epitome of hockey skills combined with teamwork. I grew up on the WHA Jets, love hockey but not keen on the current style of play.

J5V

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 23, 2024, 02:07:17 AMYou need to go way back beyond that time, watch the documentary "Red Army" to see the epitome of hockey skills combined with teamwork. I grew up on the WHA Jets, love hockey but not keen on the current style of play.
Agree 100% The Americanisation of hockey has ruined what used to be a beautiful game.
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 22, 2024, 10:16:01 PMLimited hitting in practice and shorter time allowed might be a factor.

Players are bigger, faster and better athletes than in the past. That's the upside. The downside is they hit faster and harder I suppose. Most grass surfaces are now replaced with carpet on concrete. Even though those surfaces have improved I'm not sure grass is more forgiving in some cases.

The tiny amount of practice time just blows my mind.  Often they are reporting they had a 1.25 hour practice, etc.  What the heck is that?  How does a player get conditioned or better without a "real" (i.e. long) practice?  My quip about 1 hours of milling around on field followed by calling it a day to go get slurpees at the 7-11 down the street may not be that far off.  And no one would care if they are winning: but we suck erratic rocks right now!

As for surfaces: you need to get to WPG sometime and come down on-field post-game.  Or maybe BC lets fans on-field too?  Get down on the turf.  It's like floating on the moon it's so bouncy and squishy.  I bet it hurts 1/10th as much as falling down on TOR's real mud & grass.  It's more like a yoga mat.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 22, 2024, 10:16:01 PMWell maybe. I'm not sure about that. In the old days there were 4 pre season games and 16 regular season games. The 1st pre season game was always pretty quick, so not much has changed really. There has been less desire for vets to play in at least part of the 2nd game.

Limited hitting in practice and shorter time allowed might be a factor.

I see Ottawa just added T. Harris to the 6 game IR today after injury this weekend.

I'd like to see rosters increased in size by 4. That might help rotation with larger depth on the AR and prevent some over work to prevent some injuries.

Unfortunately it's the nature of the sport being so hard hitting. We see the same issue in the NFL now too.

I'm not sure about a lot of your ideas or theories but this is a good one probably not for the reason you're assuming though. Bigger rosters would only equate to a better product on the field. More development. More in-game options and a stronger product. Whether it would lower the number of injuries or not, I'm not sure. They would likely go up just on the simple math of 8 more players per game who could be injured.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 23, 2024, 01:18:29 PMI'm not sure about a lot of your ideas or theories but this is a good one probably not for the reason you're assuming though. Bigger rosters would only equate to a better product on the field. More development. More in-game options and a stronger product. Whether it would lower the number of injuries or not, I'm not sure. They would likely go up just on the simple math of 8 more players per game who could be injured.

It might have a marginal improvement in reducing wear and tear. However, it was more about the on field product quality and having players in the development curve.

The catch 22 issue is that even on ELC @ $74K each that's costly for some teams already losing money.

Ratio is also an issue but even I would agree adding 4 more Canadians might be a good thing in the long run.

Obviously I would prefer 2 more DI's and 2 more Canadians but I wouldn't balk at restricting it to 4 Canadians choices. I've mentioned that 2 dedicated spots on the PR for globals could be eliminated. The overall PR size / cost could be reduced while the AR cost increased. Partial offsetting.

Another approach would be to eliminate the 2 global spots by just changing them to normal DI's and then adding 2 more Canadian spots.

That way, global players could still make the roster by winning their spot instead of by default.

Net result would be a smaller increase in total roster size, although I think + 4 would still be my preference.

I'm open to suggestions on which combinations others would like. Not that we get to dictate what the CFLPA does.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 23, 2024, 05:39:54 AMThe tiny amount of practice time just blows my mind.  Often they are reporting they had a 1.25 hour practice, etc.  What the heck is that?  How does a player get conditioned or better without a "real" (i.e. long) practice?  My quip about 1 hours of milling around on field followed by calling it a day to go get slurpees at the 7-11 down the street may not be that far off.  And no one would care if they are winning: but we suck erratic rocks right now!

As for surfaces: you need to get to WPG sometime and come down on-field post-game.  Or maybe BC lets fans on-field too?  Get down on the turf.  It's like floating on the moon it's so bouncy and squishy.  I bet it hurts 1/10th as much as falling down on TOR's real mud & grass.  It's more like a yoga mat.

The expectation is that you do conditioning outside of practice. It's football practice, not track or weight training.
My wife is amazing!

Pigskin

Quote from: Jesse on July 23, 2024, 07:28:10 PMThe expectation is that you do conditioning outside of practice. It's football practice, not track or weight training.

Yes, your are correct. These guy's are there for most of the day. Practice is only for 1.5 hours but, then there's strength and conditioning. Then the video room. And then for the injured, or banged up players are off to see the trainers. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

Feltmate was transferred to 6 game IR as I thought might happen. No other transactions mentioned but the alternatives were discussed earlier. Since his primary value was on ST's we'll see how they cover that role and whether we suffer any down grade. Grant is already dangerous and has a kick return TD in 3 consecutive games.
2019 Grey Cup Champions