CFL injuries

Started by Blue In BC, July 22, 2024, 05:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DM83

lol!

Some misconceptions from fans who have heroe worship fantasies about their football heroes.
You would be surprised how many players are not sculpted like Greek gods.

Some of these receivers haven't lifted a weight in their life.  Same with the linemen . Some are just large people I trained with a lot of people who had pro aspartions. Like I said some of the linemen were not muscle bound.  Why not check out some of your favourite big guys bi-ceps? You would've surprised at the lack of size and definition of their arms. I always thought that revealed how much a guy worked out. 

Usually linebackers and running backs were the most "cut' guys. I found that almost everyone could run there were a few of the bigger guys who were challenged. I figured they really only had to run minimally about seven yards I thought the size or at least definition equated to their workout commitment.  Of course if they couldn't be agile, they probably wouldn't put play....but looked better on the beach. Lol?

But those barrel chested guys were in a class if their own.

dd

I l, give you the linemen likely workout more that the buffet than the gym (other than Jefferson who's jacked!!, but look at receivers like begelton, rhymes, Bailey, Woli, their jacked physical specimens who obviously put the time in. Blocking takes muscles to over power your opponent, otherwise you can just try holding him!!

Blue In BC

Hmmm. B. Cole transferred to 6 game IR. M. Bridges and M. Charbonneau added to AR. Samson moved to PR from 1 game IR.

Another game and another 2 players gone to long term 6 game IR!!!

An extra DB might be useful in speed off the edge at times to contain Dukes?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on July 23, 2024, 07:28:10 PMThe expectation is that you do conditioning outside of practice. It's football practice, not track or weight training.

Ya, but football the game is 95% about what you do together as a team.  The muscles and conditioning don't win you squat.  And our issue right now is things aren't gelling as a team... So I'll stick to my point about 1.25hr practice a day being really lame.

For instance, Zach's timing to the Rs isn't going to get any better by watching film and lifting weights.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 24, 2024, 03:12:17 AMHmmm. B. Cole transferred to 6 game IR. M. Bridges and M. Charbonneau added to AR. Samson moved to PR from 1 game IR.

Cole being out is kinda medium-bad.  He's seeing more reps and is a great backup for a couple of spots.  I'm not happy about this surprising news.

If anyone would have made a perfect Dukes spy on passing downs, it's Cole.
Never go full Rider!

DM83

The concept of applying any one linebacker out of the ability to play in. Regular zone drops leaves a void. Your defence should be sound enough to account for  potentially escapable QBs. Agreed though, Dukes is awesome.

Speaking of which, what does Toronto do with Dukes when Kelly becomes available to play?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: DM83 on July 24, 2024, 08:32:49 AMThe concept of applying any one linebacker out of the ability to play in. Regular zone drops leaves a void. Your defence should be sound enough to account for  potentially escapable QBs. Agreed though, Dukes is awesome.

Speaking of which, what does Toronto do with Dukes when Kelly becomes available to play?

Is that you, MOS?!  Lol.  Besides MOS, you're the only other person I've heard say that (even though it should be true in theory).

So many other teams employ spies, at least on 2nd & long.  So there's tons of data.  Does "spying" work?  From my vantage point the answer screams "yes"!  And hey, if many think Biggie is useless out there, you put in a fast/shifty LB instead of Biggie on passing downs and boom he's your spy... there: nothing lost!

When Kelly comes back Dukes returns to the bench and maybe SY duty.  100%.  I think Dukes is overrated because TOR is still a possibly East-leading team.  If Kelly had been in all these weeks they likely have the same record as MTL.  And if Dukes had been starting for EDM or HAM they'd still be losing.  Since Dukes is clearly capable (though not world-beating) and cheap, you keep him as your spare if Kelly gets hurt.  That's the way you win GCs.

P.S. If you're in man coverage with a deep FS, or even cover-2 zone where all routes are set to clear the flat (or at least half the flat) (MTL does this a lot), then there is zero help to stop a QB run through a big gap or edge.  Assuming your 4 DL are getting molested and can't shed blocks or went too deep (etc.), of course.  As such, I'd argue a spy could be very helpful in those schemes.
Never go full Rider!

Blueforlife

AJ Ouellette will not play in the @sskroughriders' Week 8 matchup against the Montreal Alouettes.

💻: https://bit.ly/46kQ6zL | #CFL

Pete

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 24, 2024, 08:47:33 AMIs that you, MOS?!  Lol.  Besides MOS, you're the only other person I've heard say that (even though it should be true in theory).

So many other teams employ spies, at least on 2nd & long.  So there's tons of data.  Does "spying" work?  From my vantage point the answer screams "yes"!  And hey, if many think Biggie is useless out there, you put in a fast/shifty LB instead of Biggie on passing downs and boom he's your spy... there: nothing lost!

When Kelly comes back Dukes returns to the bench and maybe SY duty.  100%.  I think Dukes is overrated because TOR is still a possibly East-leading team.  If Kelly had been in all these weeks they likely have the same record as MTL.  And if Dukes had been starting for EDM or HAM they'd still be losing.  Since Dukes is clearly capable (though not world-beating) and cheap, you keep him as your spare if Kelly gets hurt.  That's the way you win GCs.

P.S. If you're in man coverage with a deep FS, or even cover-2 zone where all routes are set to clear the flat (or at least half the flat) (MTL does this a lot), then there is zero help to stop a QB run through a big gap or edge.  Assuming your 4 DL are getting molested and can't shed blocks or went too deep (etc.), of course.  As such, I'd argue a spy could be very helpful in those schemes.
What I dont understand is how a team can run the same play repeatedly and you don't adjust. Sask ran the quick slant with both Ajou and Shafer Baker repeatedly on the right side.
Do you not have a safety or lb shift to provide coverage? Or are they just too slow to get there?
Particularly when our shorter dbs are so outmatched size wise.
It seems as though opposing qbs just look at which lb is on the line to rush and simply throw there cause our backup coverage is too slow

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: DM83 on July 24, 2024, 12:49:07 AMlol!

Some misconceptions from fans who have heroe worship fantasies about their football heroes.
You would be surprised how many players are not sculpted like Greek gods.

Some of these receivers haven't lifted a weight in their life.  Same with the linemen . Some are just large people I trained with a lot of people who had pro aspartions. Like I said some of the linemen were not muscle bound.  Why not check out some of your favourite big guys bi-ceps? You would've surprised at the lack of size and definition of their arms. I always thought that revealed how much a guy worked out. 

Usually linebackers and running backs were the most "cut' guys. I found that almost everyone could run there were a few of the bigger guys who were challenged. I figured they really only had to run minimally about seven yards I thought the size or at least definition equated to their workout commitment.  Of course if they couldn't be agile, they probably wouldn't put play....but looked better on the beach. Lol?

But those barrel chested guys were in a class if their own.

I couldn't agree more.
Bighill is jacked as is Brady Shane Gauthier is a guy who looks like he works out on the reg.

Next time you see Willie check out those arms. You'd thought they'd be bigger but he is super long and lean.

Demski is my size less 5 lbs of fat but has skinnier arms than me. Same size legs.

Strevy is just a big dude at QB. Again not the biggest arms but barrel chested and big legs.

It is always interesting to see these guys up close!
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Blueforlife on July 24, 2024, 02:01:45 PMAJ Ouellette will not play in the @sskroughriders' Week 8 matchup against the Montreal Alouettes.

💻: https://bit.ly/46kQ6zL | #CFL

Kian Baker is out as well for the Riders.

Fajardo moved to 6 game IR this morning. Yikes!!! Hamstring could bother him the rest of the year. Hard to tell if he can come off early or get extended.

Kaion Grant listed as doubtful in Montreal

Brinkman and Edouard moved to 6 game IR in Toronto.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ichabod_crane

Quote from: DM83 on July 22, 2024, 09:56:41 PMIt's also. This two game exhibition series.  Players are rushed in to play without proper conditioning and team time to co.ordinate.

WAHH WAHH WAHH! 😩 How about best combined score 2 game playoffs or even best of 3 game CFL finals back in the day?! Those were true warriors! :) Sorry, but cry babies is my take on todays whiners. It's the same for all teams with a short week or two per season (or at least should be).

P.S. NFL HAS MUCH the same issue. Games Thursday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday every week almost. So not only in the CFL does this situation exist. If the CFL is bush league, then so is the "GREAT ALL BEING" NFL! :D ;)  An inferior game if you truly examine the details. KICKOFFS and PUNTS are bathroom breaks 95% of the time. Totally useless. Only more hype, money and better players, but the sport itself is uninteresting outside the top 10 teams or so. JUST MY OPINION! ;) 6-3 snoozefests are hockey scores, not for football games.

ichabod_crane

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/alouettes-place-qb-cody-fajardo-on-six-game-injured-list-ahead-of-roughriders-meeting-1.2152584

Caleb Evans the starter now. Montreal could be in a world of hurt for a while unless their defence can carry them!! OTTAWA rockets up to the top of the heap maybe now in the East! ;)

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 24, 2024, 02:43:22 PMKian Baker is out as well for the Riders.

Fajardo moved to 6 game IR this morning. Yikes!!! Hamstring could bother him the rest of the year. Hard to tell if he can come off early or get extended.

Kaion Grant listed as doubtful in Montreal

Brinkman and Edouard moved to 6 game IR in Toronto.
ouch regarding Fajardo. That could be a real issue for the Als going forward.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

DM83

;) whoa! Fajardo out could really change the world order.