Bombers @ Argos

Started by Blue In BC, July 21, 2024, 03:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

An early start to the game this week.

It appears we may have lost Feltmate with an arm / shoulder injury. I'd say he's lost for this week almost certainly but it could be a 6 game IR situation.

We don't have a direct replacement with Chris-Ive already gone to 6 game IR.  Kelly and Samson  are in the 1 game IR and Charbonneau is on the PR.

The replacement doesn't have to be a FB type, but Charbonneau might be the closest in that capability. OTOH we don't really need another LB, but how do we adjust?

I'm not overly impressed with Dukes but I wasn't impressed with Patterson either. Argos gave up 2 sacks and seemed to make Dukes uncomfortable in the pocket.

Can we do the same?

If we limit the mistakes we made against the Riders, this should be an easier game and winnable.

It's another must win. We can't continue to slid before a need to airlift comes into play.

EDIT: I'm not specifically blaming Case for not a great initial showing. However was that a one game initial look and Smith returns next week. A live game experience will help case with his learning curve.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 21, 2024, 03:50:22 PMAn early start to the game this week.

It appears we may have lost Feltmate with an arm / shoulder injury. I'd say he's lost for this week almost certainly but it could be a 6 game IR situation.

We don't have a direct replacement with Chris-Ive already gone to 6 game IR.  Kelly and Samson  are in the 1 game IR and Charbonneau is on the PR.

The replacement doesn't have to be a FB type, but Charbonneau might be the closest in that capability. OTOH we don't really need another LB, but how do we adjust?

I'm not overly impressed with Dukes but I wasn't impressed with Patterson either. Argos gave up 2 sacks and seemed to make Dukes uncomfortable in the pocket.

Can we do the same?

If we limit the mistakes we made against the Riders, this should be an easier game and winnable.

It's another must win. We can't continue to slid before a need to airlift comes into play.

EDIT: I'm not specifically blaming Case for not a great initial showing. However was that a one game initial look and Smith returns next week. A live game experience will help case with his learning curve.

O'Shea mentioned somewhere last week that Case came in because he could also backup at receiver, nothing much more to it.  Now with Lucky likely playing this week, they can probably revert to Smith.

Blueforlife

Hopefully we can figure out our FB situation.  Smith will be hungry, hopefully he has a breakout game.  I would go slow with Lucky.  Sprinkle him in so we don't break him.  Will be a good game.  Dukes is decent but has weaknesses we can exploit. 

Stretch

In my uneducated opinion, it looks like Dukes will start to scramble if his first read is not open. That means we would have to A) cover receivers well right off the snap and stick with them throughout the scramble and B) spy Dukes in case he decides to take off himself.
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Stretch on July 21, 2024, 10:09:03 PMIn my uneducated opinion, it looks like Dukes will start to scramble if his first read is not open. That means we would have to A) cover receivers well right off the snap and stick with them throughout the scramble and B) spy Dukes in case he decides to take off himself.

The problem is who is going to spy him? Wilson I guess?

The Zipp

We usually seem to throw up a stinker in TO...I will be surprised if our offense can do anything against TO's defence. 

I hope we can - but what I have seen so far of this team it seems like a tall order.

3-7 is probably reality at the ten game mark

dd

Quote from: The Zipp on July 22, 2024, 02:28:48 AMWe usually seem to throw up a stinker in TO...I will be surprised if our offense can do anything against TO's defence. 

I hope we can - but what I have seen so far of this team it seems like a tall order.

Agree. We always seem to come out flat then go lay an egg in front of 5000 fans. I am hoping Lawler is back in our lineup and that injects some new life and excitement otherwise if we come out in stink mode and go 2-6, yikes, that's a deep hole to climb out of

Lincoln Locomotive

playing in Toronto seems to bring out the worst in the Bombers.....our biggest weakness is no pressure on D and if that doesn't change we can expect fewer Ws this season.    Add to this that just about any QB looks like Doug Flutie when they scramble against us.....
Bomber fan for life

Sir Blue and Gold

I'm also not really sure why anyone is worried about being down a full back. This year we've basically just used the position as a special teams opportunity. We may not have another fullback on the roster but Karamoko or even Charbonneau or Weitz can probably fill in mostly fine.

dd

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 22, 2024, 03:33:56 AMI'm also not really sure why anyone is worried about being down a full back. This year we've basically just used the position as a special teams opportunity. We may not have another fullback on the roster but Karamoko or even Charbonneau or Weitz can probably fill in mostly fine.
I d just bring in Wallace at TE and run over people. The dude is better than any fullback at blocking anyways

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 22, 2024, 12:29:37 AMThe problem is who is going to spy him? Wilson I guess?

If the RB stays in to block (and doesn't sneak out!), then Wilson can spy.  He'd be great at it.  Otherwise, ya, we don't really have the fast-type guy we can sacrifice as spy.  Maybe if Hallett is in at FS on passing downs??

What if for some passing downs we yank Biggie and put in someone faster, like Cole?  MLB is a great position to use as fast spy if we are 90% sure it's a pass (like 2nd & 8+).
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 22, 2024, 03:33:56 AMI'm also not really sure why anyone is worried about being down a full back. This year we've basically just used the position as a special teams opportunity. We may not have another fullback on the roster but Karamoko or even Charbonneau or Weitz can probably fill in mostly fine.

Not true.  Just like last season we are doing a ton of O packages with a FB, TE or extra OL(s) in.  I'm not sure what the ratio is, but maybe every other O snap (except in tempo) we have a 6th (or more) TE or half-back FB in the formation.  Especially 1st down, or when the opponent is killing us with pressure.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: dd on July 22, 2024, 04:19:23 AMI d just bring in Wallace at TE and run over people. The dude is better than any fullback at blocking anyways

Another legitimate option for sure.

Blue In BC

Is there a practice today? Waiting to see who is practising with the 1st team offence this week. Will  this be the week we see changes to the offensive roster?

It will be the 2nd game for Garbutt. He had a good 1st game and we should see improvement week to week as he gets into game speed.

I'd like to see a few more reps for Streveler besides just short yardage. Even being a 2nd QB on the field at the same time just to give the defence something else to consider.

If he caught a short pass in open field, I wouldn't want to be the DB tasked to bringing him down. It might force a LB out of the box to cover him and open up the running game a bit more.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

BBRT

Quote from: The Zipp on July 22, 2024, 02:28:48 AMWe usually seem to throw up a stinker in TO...I will be surprised if our offense can do anything against TO's defence. 

Sort of have to agree. I doubt our OLine can handle the Argo DLine and I doubt we will have much of a passing attack given Zack is long past his best before date. I see a 3-7 record at the 10 game mark as a good bet.