Bombers @ Argos

Started by Blue In BC, July 21, 2024, 03:50:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Zipp

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 22, 2024, 03:54:54 PMIs there a practice today? Waiting to see who is practising with the 1st team offence this week. Will  this be the week we see changes to the offensive roster?

It will be the 2nd game for Garbutt. He had a good 1st game and we should see improvement week to week as he gets into game speed.

I'd like to see a few more reps for Streveler besides just short yardage. Even being a 2nd QB on the field at the same time just to give the defence something else to consider.

If he caught a short pass in open field, I wouldn't want to be the DB tasked to bringing him down. It might force a LB out of the box to cover him and open up the running game a bit more.

no practice today

Pigskin

I didn't think Garbutt was any better then Fayad. 1 DT, and didn't get his hands on the QB. I hope he's better this week.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Pigskin on July 22, 2024, 04:34:50 PMI didn't think Garbutt was any better then Fayad. 1 DT, and didn't get his hands on the QB. I hope he's better this week.

I'd look beyond the stats sheet. Garbutt looked considerably faster and more agile, IMO. I can see why the team has been high on him.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Pigskin

Quote from: BBRT on July 22, 2024, 04:12:52 PMSort of have to agree. I doubt our OLine can handle the Argo DLine and I doubt we will have much of a passing attack given Zack is long past his best before date. I see a 3-7 record at the 10 game mark as a good bet.

Yes the Bombers moved on from AH33 at the right time. Unfortunately they might have waited one year to long with Bighill and ZC8. ZC8 could have been a good trade piece and we would have had our QB of the future with Dru Brown. Also around a $300K savings which would have kept Bailey, Grant, and Jeffcoat, around and got ourselves a young MLB. 

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

3rdand1.5

From what we have seen so far this season, T.O's defence should have their way with us. I don't think they have a great offence, but our offence is sooooooooooooooooooo bad they don't need much on offence to easily beat us, IMO.

dd

any word on Lawler, Lawson and Lucky, has it been confirmed that they are playing in TO??

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on July 22, 2024, 05:30:19 PMany word on Lawler, Lawson and Lucky, has it been confirmed that they are playing in TO??

Don't think Lawson is coming back for a long time, Lawler might be a few more games but no excuse for not inserting Lucky right now.

peg_city

Quote from: The Zipp on July 22, 2024, 02:28:48 AMWe usually seem to throw up a stinker in TO...I will be surprised if our offense can do anything against TO's defence. 

I hope we can - but what I have seen so far of this team it seems like a tall order.

3-7 is probably reality at the ten game mark

Probably 4-7 after our home-in-home with BC

Win against hamilton. And win/loss for banjo bowl & labour day.

Record will be 6-8 with Edmonton (home and home), Hamilton and Toronto to end the season.

Blueforlife

Quote from: Pigskin on July 22, 2024, 04:34:50 PMI didn't think Garbutt was any better then Fayad. 1 DT, and didn't get his hands on the QB. I hope he's better this week.
Disagree.
Quote from: blue_gold_84 on July 22, 2024, 04:39:20 PMI'd look beyond the stats sheet. Garbutt looked considerably faster and more agile, IMO. I can see why the team has been high on him.
I think he looked great and it's just one game
Quote from: Pigskin on July 22, 2024, 04:41:57 PMYes the Bombers moved on from AH33 at the right time. Unfortunately they might have waited one year to long with Bighill and ZC8. ZC8 could have been a good trade piece and we would have had our QB of the future with Dru Brown. Also around $300K which would have kept Bailey, Grant, and Jeffcoat, around and got ourselves a young MLB. 

The Argos are good but beatable.  We need to play our best and execute better.  Need a few new faces to shine and the vets to polish their craft.

Bighill still has value.  Zach can still be one of the best.  Dru is an unknown still, looks great at time but is still learning.  We wouldn't be any further ahead this year with Dru.  In a few years Dru will be very good.  Loosing those guys hurt yes.  Jeffcoat not as much imo. 

Argos are good but beatable.  Need some of our new faces to shine and our vets to polish their craft a bit.  Key is the run game and winning in the trenches.  Win the turn over battle and we win.  Will be  tight ball game.

DM83

;) bombers will be killed by Toronto.

Our oline will be embarrassed
Colorism wont have time  to throw anything but swing passes.
Defensively, our defe. Coordinator, will continue to play man cover coverage.  Toronto. Receivers will be open by five yards.

The d line won't be able to catch Torontos QB, who quite possibly run for 100 yards. He will pass for 300 yards. Collaros may be interested.  We won't score more than ten points.

Afternoons in summer in Southern Ontario can be humid and different than anything we see in Winnipeg. Plus coming to the game after enjoying the exceptional entertainment unlike anywhere else in Canada. We really should just save hundreds of thousands of dollars, and mail them the two points.

Lastly,it seems like the management is not taking the season seriously. Three days off,....i guess the league policy mandates that.  Serious lack of efficiency on offence, defensive concept, and crappy play by a number of. Vets, plus incapable rookies brought in. 

The team was over the cap last year, no consequences.  So what.  The tax payers pay for the financing of the team. McManus hasn't brought anyone in that could be a difference maker, and if you want to argue that he has,then the DC,Jordan Younger looks like he is in over his head. See"hat" claybrook look.

There will be so many changes in 2025.

Bring in that former Edmonton coach as the DC
bring in Lapo as the OC.
Use a tight end and two backs out of the backfield( the team has no fast personnel, so go heavy and run the ball......we have not enuff passing game talent)

dd

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 22, 2024, 05:42:36 PMDon't think Lawson is coming back for a long time, Lawler might be a few more games but no excuse for not inserting Lucky right now.
Thanks, hopefully they put Lucky in, we need a spark on offense for sure. Demski and Oliveira can only do so much. Wilson was pretty much silent last game after having the game of his life—-maybe a flash in the pan/Agudosi V2.0??

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on July 22, 2024, 10:36:41 PM;) bombers will be killed by Toronto.

Our oline will be embarrassed
Colorism wont have time  to throw anything but swing passes.
Defensively, our defe. Coordinator, will continue to play man cover coverage.  Toronto. Receivers will be open by five yards.

The d line won't be able to catch Torontos QB, who quite possibly run for 100 yards. He will pass for 300 yards. Collaros may be interested.  We won't score more than ten points.

Afternoons in summer in Southern Ontario can be humid and different than anything we see in Winnipeg. Plus coming to the game after enjoying the exceptional entertainment unlike anywhere else in Canada. We really should just save hundreds of thousands of dollars, and mail them the two points.

Lastly,it seems like the management is not taking the season seriously. Three days off,....i guess the league policy mandates that.  Serious lack of efficiency on offence, defensive concept, and crappy play by a number of. Vets, plus incapable rookies brought in. 

The team was over the cap last year, no consequences.  So what.  The tax payers pay for the financing of the team. McManus hasn't brought anyone in that could be a difference maker, and if you want to argue that he has,then the DC,Jordan Younger looks like he is in over his head. See"hat" claybrook look.

There will be so many changes in 2025.

Bring in that former Edmonton coach as the DC
bring in Lapo as the OC.
Use a tight end and two backs out of the backfield( the team has no fast personnel, so go heavy and run the ball......we have not enuff passing game talent)

That's a pretty negative view of everything. You highlighted several issues which are definitely problems but I don't think the wheels have fallen off the wagon just yet.

I may have a different view after the back to back against the Lions. Once again there is a need to win the series against a team we want to push down the standings. Lions have the edge and so do the Riders. We've dug a giant hole.

It will snowball if we lose to the Argos this week. Win and maybe we start to turn the corner.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

Toronto gives up 58 yds a game rushing, that does not bode well for us. McManus is a beast in the middle of the field and they will shut down Brady and our running attack which means we ll have to rely more on the pass, and without Lawler, that doesn't sound like a very good game plan.

Given our past history of stinking the joint out in Toronto, I see that trend continuing

Blue In BC

Quote from: dd on July 22, 2024, 11:42:56 PMToronto gives up 58 yds a game rushing, that does not bode well for us. McManus is a beast in the middle of the field and they will shut down Brady and our running attack which means we ll have to rely more on the pass, and without Lawler, that doesn't sound like a very good game plan.

Given our past history of stinking the joint out in Toronto, I see that trend continuing

That's the thing about trends. They can change. lol

BTW: Last time we played them was Sept 17 /23 in Winnipeg. Oliveria ran for 169 yards and we beat them 31 - 21. Dukes was the QB then as well.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 22, 2024, 11:44:42 PMThat's the thing about trends. They can change. lol
I guess in theory they could, I just don't think this weekend they will