Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Calgary - June 29, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, June 28, 2024, 06:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slingin Sammy

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 28, 2024, 06:20:52 PMSo only 1 global player on the roster this week. IIRC Karamoko was nicked but it's a partial surprise that we didn't activate either of the 2 on the PR. Isn't that the point of keeping them around?

I'm surprised as well.  Lucky Ogbeovn was getting reps with ST and was practicing with D Lineman and O line in one on one drills during Tuesday practice. I thought they might use him on D rotationally as an edge rusher and ST...but Griffin was also getting reps on D and ST...Griffin likely gives them more bang for their buck as a gunner on ST.  Ogbeovn has quicks and a motor...but he might be a bit undersized for the D Line, not necessarily as an edge rusher but against the run...they ultimately kept Hubert on as a rotating rusher...I think the defining difference between these two 1st year players is familiarity with the Cdn game.  Hubert played at McMaster.  For me, Ogbeovn stood out because he was going 1000% in his one on one's and was just clearly energized and athletically gifted. If he continues to progress, I can see him being a Hansen type replacement.
Everyone is a genius at least once a year. The real geniuses simply have their bright ideas closer together.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Slingin Sammy on June 29, 2024, 01:48:01 PMI'm surprised as well.  Lucky Ogbeovn was getting reps with ST and was practicing with D Lineman and O line in one on one drills during Tuesday practice. I thought they might use him on D rotationally as an edge rusher and ST...but Griffin was also getting reps on D and ST...Griffin likely gives them more bang for their buck as a gunner on ST.  Ogbeovn has quicks and a motor...but he might be a bit undersized for the D Line, not necessarily as an edge rusher but against the run...they ultimately kept Hubert on as a rotating rusher...I think the defining difference between these two 1st year players is familiarity with the Cdn game.  Hubert played at McMaster.  For me, Ogbeovn stood out because he was going 1000% in his one on one's and was just clearly energized and athletically gifted. If he continues to progress, I can see him being a Hansen type replacement.

Speaking of Hansen, he was getting some significant D-line reps. last night with the Argos and making an impact, dude is incredibly strong.

Blue In BC

Ok. Time to end the cliches post game. Time to step up to the LOS on both sides of the ball and win every one on one battle.

Pre season is over. Play like it starting today. Be aggressive.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Blue in BC, I bet the entire forum agrees with you.
I apologize for asking this question but has it been announced what Schoen injury is?

I have not seen it. I heard someone say he is gone for the season.  I would speculate that it is an Achilles or an ACL.

Anyone know? Thanks

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on June 29, 2024, 03:24:22 PMBlue in BC, I bet the entire forum agrees with you.
I apologize for asking this question but has it been announced what Schoen injury is?

I have not seen it. I heard someone say he is gone for the season.  I would speculate that it is an Achilles or an ACL.

Anyone know? Thanks

Unofficially reported as a knee injury of some sort and that he's expected to be gone for the season. While that's very bad it's not as bad as an achilles might be in recovery time or risk of re-injury.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ichabod_crane

Looking out my front window in calgary this second and there is not a cloud in the sky! ☀️

Game time temp is forecast to be +22C! Let's have some football and beers and bbq's! Will need to Check out HUFF's Hut! 😎

J5V

Quote from: DM83 on June 29, 2024, 03:24:22 PMBlue in BC, I bet the entire forum agrees with you.

Anyone know? Thanks
All I've heard is that it's a knee. Whether ACL, MCL or both, I don't know. I'm still, like, you've got to be effin kidding me! I don't think I've ever seen this team suffer injuries like this but to lose Lawler and Shoen like this is unbelievable.
Go Bombers!

J5V

Quote from: TecnoGenius on June 29, 2024, 06:26:48 AMIt's always SMS concerns.  A ton of vets can (still) outperform an ELC, but they are cut because it's not an equation that just has "performance" in it.  The equation is always cost divided by performance.  Always.  And add in a third variable: hope.  The ELCs will give you the hope they are the next Schoen.  The vets are known quantities.  (Well, and the fourth variable: availability, which ELCs usually win by being young and uninjured.)

Moreso, the better the vet is, the more likely he is to be cut because he has set the tone that he's has to be highly paid.  Think Jeffcoat and D.Walker.  No one will ever call them offering $90k.

Straw man.  No one is suggesting Clown Carter or anyone out of the league more than 1 whole season (the same reason I poopooed the D.Adams suggestion).

I've put up a pretty nice list of decent vets, and others have too, that if money was no object we'd love to have hired to take Bailey's place in FA.  It all boils down to money.

We don't need a franchise long-term guy right now: we need a pure mercenary.  And we shouldn't care about injury history: give the guy a big salary with no bonus and then who cares if he gets hurt.  Then if he sucks too, cut him (a la A.Bowman).
I get your point about vets that can still play but I also like the idea of bringing in fresh blood and hope to uncover a diamond in the rough. The potential payoff here is that you could get a dynamic player at a bargain price -- exactly what we need.
Go Bombers!

ichabod_crane

Bombers have money to spend, it's just fitting it into the sms cap is the issue. I don't care if they even go over $100,000 on the cap IF THEY truly think they can pull out of this slide. They can afford it. Almost chicken feed with their incoming revenue right now. GC IN Winnipeg next year is even more assured cash flow.

Going over the cap is ALLOWED within the rules, just pay $1-$1 fine UP to $100,000. Over then higher fines and lost draft picks. You don't want to go there. Not cheating to me when it's in the rules and open to see by everyone after the fact. Pathetic cats even went over the cap last year speaking of a team that  had a rash if injuries. Bombers not quite at that level yet.

Push the rules to the max if you are a winner mindset. Then it's up to scouts and coaches and gm's to get some magic rolling to get good replacements asap.

markf

Walby seems concerned...

Said the Bombers backend needs to get it together.

I hope Jake Maier and Dave Dickensen do not shred the Bombers pass defence...

I'm Not confident that the pass D is up to stopping this.

keep them off the field I guess.  Extra o lineman, run the ball.

Jesse

Quote from: markf on June 29, 2024, 09:51:59 PMWalby seems concerned...

Walby's opinion doesn't hold any more weight than anyone else's drunk uncle at this point (all due respect to the legend, but he's far removed from the game and has no connections to the team itself).

Brady is going to have a massive impact on this game. It's going to be night and day from the first 2.5 games. And I'm sure we'll give up a ton of yards on D that will keep everyone all worked up, but I don't see the Stamps scoring more than 25 points.
My wife is amazing!

J5V

Quote from: markf on June 29, 2024, 09:51:59 PMWalby seems concerned...

Calgary's pass rush scares me also. I fear for Zach and if he panics and starts throwing picks it could be a long night. Bombers need a good night from the hogs and pound the ball, keep the ball away from the Stamps offense. I do like what Younger has been doing with the D, despite the injuries, and hope that continues and that we can force 2-and-outs and get the ball back in Zach's and Brady's hands. The longer our D is on the field the higher the likelihood that Meier and his receivers have a good game.
Go Bombers!

Jesse

Quote from: J5V on June 29, 2024, 10:09:04 PMCalgary's pass rush scares me also. I fear for Zach and if he panics and starts throwing picks it could be a long night. Bombers need a good night from the hogs and pound the ball, keep the ball away from the Stamps offense. I do like what Younger has been doing with the D, despite the injuries, and hope that continues and that we can force 2-and-outs and get the ball back in Zach's and Brady's hands. The longer our D is on the field the higher the likelihood that Meier and his receivers have a good game.

With Brady comes the outlet screen.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

A good balanced offence slows down the pass rush. Can we stop running up the gut on play 1 of our 1st series please.

Oliveria is angry and I think that's a good thing. Let him loose.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

J5V

Quote from: Jesse on June 29, 2024, 10:03:19 PMWalby's opinion doesn't hold any more weight than anyone else's drunk uncle at this point (all due respect to the legend, but he's far removed from the game and has no connections to the team itself).
LOL! I think Walby understands the game a little better than any of my drunk uncles but I see you point, funny as it is.  :-)
Quote from: Jesse on June 29, 2024, 10:03:19 PMBrady is going to have a massive impact on this game. It's going to be night and day from the first 2.5 games. And I'm sure we'll give up a ton of yards on D that will keep everyone all worked up, but I don't see the Stamps scoring more than 25 points.
This is exactly the way I hope this game goes. I also want to see this team get through this game without losing any more players to injury.
Go Bombers!