Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Ottawa - June 13, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, June 12, 2024, 05:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModAdmin

Do the Bombers have something to prove in this game?  Effort, injuries and opportunities all come into play in this game.  With Kenny Lawler out and opportunity opens for Keric Wheatfall.  Will Adam Bighill be able to go 100% in this game?  Will the offence come together with a statement game?

Current list of injured players and status follows:

K. Lawler    WR    Out indefinitely - Upper Body

B. Oliveira    RB    Questionable Thursday - Knee

K. Samson    DT    Out Thursday - Undisclosed

J. Kelly    DB    Out Indefinitely - Elbow

T. Garbutt    DE    Out Indefinitely - Ankle

A. Bighill      LB      Available

R. Kramdi       DB      Available

On Adam Bighill...

"...His life is a book begging to be written, with his accomplishments on the field and his knowledge of the game also meaning he could likely walk right into a professional coaching gig if he so wanted.

Still, there are still more chapters to pen for Adam Bighill about his football exploits. Now 35, the veteran Winnipeg Blue Bombers linebacker — who is expected to be activated from the injured list for Thursday's game in Ottawa against the RedBlacks — still has the competitive juices racing through him like the Red River in the spring thaw.

"This is exciting. This is what I love," began (Adam) Bighill Tuesday after the Blue Bombers closed-to-the-media practice session. "I've been loving to compete and do this my entire life and so to be able to come out here and do that and show my hard work and what I work for — that's fun. I enjoy the training, but I enjoy the training so I can enjoy playing football...

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/06/11/48-hour-primer-wpg-at-ott-3/

An important game to get back on track.  Let's go Bombers!
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

The Zipp

No Brady O - Augustine gets the start with Chris-Ike Smith backing up.

Bighill is back

Wheatfall in place of Lawler

GOLDMEMBER

The fact Brady played last week seems kind of dumb. Could not do anything in training camp, plays a game in relative poor fashion, and now is out. Seems poor injury management there.

Good to see Biggie back in there. Hopefully it is the Biggie of yesteryears and now late last year.

Zach and the OL need to step up and make plays early on. Receivers need to get open and catch the ball for Zach. Is that to much to ask?

The D, more of the same please from last week.

Sergio won't be able to use that chipped balls excuse anymore...

Hopefully improvements on ST commence.

Go Bombers
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

Canadians: Oliveria out and Feltmate in. He's listed as a FB but think he'll mostly see duty on ST's.
Imports: Lawler out and Wheatfall in. Woods out and Bighill in.

Nothing against Ayers but wouldn't another DL be more useful in rotation?  Ayers stats show 2 ST's.

Woods stats show 2 DT's but 3 TFL in his 1st game.  I don't know how that adds up to only 2 DT's. Is that 5 tackles in total?  It does show he saw reps on defence.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

This is a big game for the Bombers to get some confidence - lots of new players so winning builds the team chemistry in a positive way.  Ottawa should be a bit rusty and they haven't played a meaningful game yet so I do think the opportunity for the Bombers to win is there.

Starts and ends with QB and ZC needs to be better than last week.

Pete

If we were 100% sure Biggy could last the whole game, Woods would be better, but likely Bighill will be spelled off so Ayers is in
Don' t want a repeat of Olivera where he was put in too early and often and aggravated problems

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on June 12, 2024, 03:16:31 PMIf we were 100% sure Biggy could last the whole game, Woods would be better, but likely Bighill will be spelled off so Ayers is in
Don' t want a repeat of Olivera where he was put in too early and often and aggravated problems

Did Ayers even get any reps on defence in the last game? Wilson and Cole were all over the field. Gauthier didn't show any stats either but was listed as starting at MLB.

I think Ayers showed well in pre season but am I surprised that it was Woods that came off instead.

Going to be a real test for our OL and Augustine to play well.

Will be interesting to see if Feltmate makes an impact on ST's in his 1st game as a Bomber.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Chris-Ike listed as a running back makes way more sense. Augustine will probably dominate the carries but Chris-Ike will get some chances I am sure.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 12, 2024, 03:55:43 PMChris-Ike listed as a running back makes way more sense. Augustine will probably dominate the carries but Chris-Ike will get some chances I am sure.

Again, it would be good if we get a commanding lead to get Chris-Ike a few reps. It wouldn't entirely surprise me to see a 2 RB set just to confuse the defence or at least give them something more to think about. Chris-Ike could be used as a receiver, just like Oliveria or Augustine a couple of times a game. He just needs to catch it this time.

LOL.

We do need to be less predictable with our running game. 1st down A gap runs less often maybe. Augustine is a little quicker than Oliveria so maybe we see a couple more sweeps?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

jayrock

Quote from: The Zipp on June 12, 2024, 03:15:21 PMStarts and ends with QB and ZC needs to be better than last week.

Collaros is only as good as the offensive line. The last 4 years that OL has been the best in the league and so has the QB, now that it is just OK, the QB is just good.
RIDER PRIDE ALIVE IN THE PEG

Pigskin

Chris-Ike took a lot of reps in practice and look very good. Has good size and excellent speed.

Feltmate is what I would consider a true FB. 6'2" 240, this kid has the size.

Wheatfall looked good in practice this week. I hope ZC* can get him the ball. 

Nice having AB4 back in the middle.

This will be the second full game for our DBs so I am expecting them to play much better as a unit. Castillo has to be better, and we can't turnover the ball. I am looking for a much sharper ZC8.   
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: jayrock on June 12, 2024, 04:06:35 PMCollaros is only as good as the offensive line. The last 4 years that OL has been the best in the league and so has the QB, now that it is just OK, the QB is just good.

We'll see how the offensive line grades out after a few games. Collaros might need to play a little faster this year but it's a little pre-mature to suggest he'll regress at this point. Maybe, but if we're playing the maybe game, maybe he'll take all that experience and turn more into a cerebral pocket passer if that's what's required. Lots of QBs have done that later in their career.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 12, 2024, 04:16:50 PMA
We'll see how the offensive line grades out after a few games. Collaros might need to play a little faster this year but it's a little pre-mature to suggest he'll regress at this point. Maybe, if we're playing the maybe game, maybe he'll take all that experience and turn more into a cerebral pocket passer if that's what's required. Lots of QBs have done that later in their career.

I recall Ricky Ray in his later years getting the snot kicked out of him every game, it was painful to watch him take the punishment.