Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Ottawa - June 13, 2024

Started by ModAdmin, June 12, 2024, 05:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 12, 2024, 03:11:46 PMCanadians: Oliveria out and Feltmate in. He's listed as a FB but think he'll mostly see duty on ST's.
Imports: Lawler out and Wheatfall in. Woods out and Bighill in.

Nothing against Ayers but wouldn't another DL be more useful in rotation?  Ayers stats show 2 ST's.

Woods stats show 2 DT's but 3 TFL in his 1st game.  I don't know how that adds up to only 2 DT's. Is that 5 tackles in total?  It does show he saw reps on defence.

I'd prefer to see them stick with the 7 man D-line rotation as well, especially since 4 of the 6 are true DT's. Thomas, Schmekel, Fox, Adams, Woods, Samson are all pushing 300 lbs. Adams is a listed as a temp. DE, but he ran out of juice after the first half last weekend. Guess they'll have to wait for Garbutt to return to balance it out a bit with Haba and Jefferson.

dd

Looking forward to seeing Johnny Augustine have a big game. Biggie will get our front 7 on track and bring up the intensity, worried about our CB's though....

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 12, 2024, 05:24:02 PMI'd prefer to see them stick with the 7 man D-line rotation as well, especially since 4 of the 6 are true DT's. Thomas, Schmekel, Fox, Adams, Woods, Samson are all pushing 300 lbs. Adams is a listed as a temp. DE, but he ran out of juice after the first half last weekend. Guess they'll have to wait for Garbutt to return to balance it out a bit with Haba and Jefferson.

Another true defense end in rotation would be good. We'll see how they call things. There was a lot of week 1 variation across the league on defensive line rotation, for example:

Toronto had 8, including 2 designated national and 1 designated American
Montreal dressed 6
Calgary had 9
BC had 8

It doesn't tell the only story though because how it's called and how teams line up guys who are listed as linebackers also comes into play.

LXTSN

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 12, 2024, 05:24:02 PMI'd prefer to see them stick with the 7 man D-line rotation as well, especially since 4 of the 6 are true DT's. Thomas, Schmekel, Fox, Adams, Woods, Samson are all pushing 300 lbs. Adams is a listed as a temp. DE, but he ran out of juice after the first half last weekend. Guess they'll have to wait for Garbutt to return to balance it out a bit with Haba and Jefferson.

It would be nice to have the depth at DE, but we do also rotate our LB's (mainly Cole and Gauthier) at DE on passing downs too.
Adams seems to be a very versatile and athletic DT. He can play DE on a passing down in a pinch.

theaardvark

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Doublezero

Bombers likely come out angry but I like Redblacks chances. Losing the field position battle has been a perennial problem for Bombers lately and the 2 rooks on the corners will be schemed for. Dru Brown is a better QB than Collaros at this stage of his career. If Bighill picks up where he left off last season (even before the injury) he is a liability as is Alexander at safety. I am a big fan of Johnny Augustine, and I can see Bombers running amok with Augustine-Strev-Demski. Ottawa won't expect that with Oliveira out. But with no kick return game, couple of brand new receivers and question marks over whether we get the good or bad Zach Collaros at QB, Bombers sadly on the downswing at least for the first half of the season ...
Just gimme the rock.

Pigskin

Quote from: LXTSN on June 12, 2024, 05:54:45 PMIt would be nice to have the depth at DE, but we do also rotate our LB's (mainly Cole and Gauthier) at DE on passing downs too.
Adams seems to be a very versatile and athletic DT. He can play DE on a passing down in a pinch.

Adams is quick. Watching him at practice, he moves very well for a big guy. 
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blue In BC

I did like what I saw from the rookie imports on defence in game 1. It will help if the offence and ST's keep the opponent off the field more often and improve field position.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

peg_city

Quote from: jayrock on June 12, 2024, 04:06:35 PMCollaros is only as good as the offensive line. The last 4 years that OL has been the best in the league and so has the QB, now that it is just OK, the QB is just good.

Let's not go that far

dd

The O line had nothing to do with ZC overthrowing Lawler in the end zone for an easy TD.

Collaros needs to pull his boot straps up just like everybody else who had a sub par outting last game.

J5V

Quote from: dd on June 12, 2024, 10:22:51 PMThe O line had nothing to do with ZC overthrowing Lawler in the end zone for an easy TD.

Collaros needs to pull his boot straps up just like everybody else who had a sub par outting last game.
You'll see a better ZC next outing. He hasn't forgotten how to play. As the rust comes off this team and they get their mojo back they'll start rolling. This team has changed quite a bit and it's going to take some time for them to gel. Buck, Younger, and Miller will start figuring out what they have and how to use it. I'm not at all surprised by the slow start. I expect to see steady improvement and as long as they make the playoffs, anything can happen.
Go Bombers!

Blue In BC

Quote from: dd on June 12, 2024, 10:22:51 PMThe O line had nothing to do with ZC overthrowing Lawler in the end zone for an easy TD.

I'd debate whether it was over thrown or whether Lawler timed his jump too soon. Another 1/2 step and it's a TD. That was commented about during the broadcast.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 12, 2024, 04:31:38 PMI recall Ricky Ray in his later years getting the snot kicked out of him every game, it was painful to watch him take the punishment.

Mike Reilly as well.