Winnipeg @ Ottawa

Started by Pigskin, June 09, 2024, 04:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on June 11, 2024, 04:50:37 PMNot comparing them or saying that Clercius can carry Lawler's jockstrap based on career so far. 

Just sayin the kid did good coming in to replace our second highest paid player in his first pro game, and that it wouldn't be ridiculous to give him a shot at playing Rec #5 while Kenny is out, to see what he's got.

Abbbbbsolutely not. The only reason he is the "in-game" replacement is because the roster rules don't really allow for American backups. Canadians by necessity almost always back up American starters. If we had any one of our American receivers on the PR dressed, they would have gone in.

That's not a debate or a suggestion. It is fact.

theaardvark

Call is a greedy pleasure, but I love seeing our draft picks excel, and Canadians in general.  Wolitarsky and Demski start at WR as Nats.  Both of them broke into the starting lineup in their first year.  Not game 2, but still.

Clercius is such an intriguing player to me. I want to see more of him on the field. I know he will get plenty of reps on teams, but I really want to see what he can do in the offence.  Especially with so many other weapons opening up the field for him.

Reading his draft profile, he seems prime for doing the dirty work that Bailey did, which we do not have on the roster right now.  I wonder if Walters drafted him because he fits the O'Shea mould. 

https://3downnation.com/2024/04/07/2024-cfl-draft-profiles-uconn-rec-kevens-clercius-desire-for-dirty-work-sets-him-apart/

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on June 11, 2024, 06:13:10 PM...I love seeing our draft picks excel, and Canadians in general.

Name a CFL fan who doesn't.

That has nothing to do with making sure a young player like Clercius is put in the right situation in order to develop his skills and excel, though.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 11, 2024, 05:12:56 PMAbbbbbsolutely not. The only reason he is the "in-game" replacement is because the roster rules don't really allow for American backups. Canadians by necessity almost always back up American starters. If we had any one of our American receivers on the PR dressed, they would have gone in.

If they play a rookie Import like Wheatfall in Lawler's spot I honestly don't see much advantage over Clercius, he'll probably be just as lost and ineffective. I think Clercius should be groomed to play Bailey's spot anyway, he's got the muscle power to play inside and help out with run blocking.

If production becomes a problem at receiver they might have to call Agudosi off his couch and see if he's interested in coming back.

blue_gold_84

#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on June 11, 2024, 06:38:55 PMThat sounds like the plan: https://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/cfl/winnipeg-bluebombers/a-lebron-on-the-field-bombers-wheatfall-ready-to-go-crazy

That's good, they'll quickly figure out whether Wilson or Wheatfall is the better receiver, competing head to head. 

BBRT

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 11, 2024, 07:06:40 PMThat's good, they'll quickly figure out whether Wilson or Wheatfall is the better receiver, competing head to head. 

I am sorry but I have to ask about your handle. Does it relate to Bannatyne Street in the Peg? I have been curious for years regarding your handle and finally have the nerve to ask. My handle is easy it is just my initials with an extra "B" for Bombers - I guess I do not have much imagination.  :D

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: BBRT on June 11, 2024, 07:36:43 PMI am sorry but I have to ask about your handle. Does it relate to Bannatyne Street in the Peg? I have been curious for years regarding your handle and finally have the nerve to ask. My handle is easy it is just my initials with an extra "B" for Bombers - I guess I do not have much imagination.  :D

It is, derived from The Guess Who song, So Long Bannatyne....hello my Chevrier home.

BomberFan73

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 11, 2024, 05:12:56 PMAbbbbbsolutely not. The only reason he is the "in-game" replacement is because the roster rules don't really allow for American backups. Canadians by necessity almost always back up American starters. If we had any one of our American receivers on the PR dressed, they would have gone in.

Mitchell?  I didn't notice if he took some plays at WR

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 11, 2024, 07:06:40 PMThat's good, they'll quickly figure out whether Wilson or Wheatfall is the better receiver, competing head to head. 

Transactions show Johnson activated not Wheatfall. Did that change?

Still haven't seen the Depth Chart anywhere.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 11, 2024, 09:50:15 PMTransactions show Johnson activated not Wheatfall. Did that change?

Still haven't seen the Depth Chart anywhere.

There won't be a depth chart until tomorrow around midday and the Bombers wouldn't make moves prior to that which would telegraph their game day lineup. They'll make the roster adjustments at the same time as they reveal the game day lineup. That's standard. If they made moves today, they were required today for whatever reason. 

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 12, 2024, 01:18:11 AMThere won't be a depth chart until tomorrow around midday and the Bombers wouldn't make moves prior to that which would telegraph their game day lineup. They'll make the roster adjustments at the same time as they reveal the game day lineup. That's standard. If they made moves today, they were required today for whatever reason. 

I find it funny that they would be worried about telegraphing anything. The other teams know Lawler is on the 6 game IR and there are only 2 receivers on the PR. Both are rookies.

Not sure why they would add Johnson to the AR today if they don't plan for him to play.

I'm sure Ottawa will prepare to see Bighill playing but if he doesn't they won't lose sleep over expecting him to play.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on June 11, 2024, 06:21:52 PMIf they play a rookie Import like Wheatfall in Lawler's spot I honestly don't see much advantage over Clercius, he'll probably be just as lost and ineffective. I think Clercius should be groomed to play Bailey's spot anyway, he's got the muscle power to play inside and help out with run blocking.

If production becomes a problem at receiver they might have to call Agudosi off his couch and see if he's interested in coming back.

Clercius was drafted and projects to be a big body possession type receiver who can block. No one is thinking he's going to be a 1000 yard receiver who's going to make a living catching balls routinely 70 yards downfield. Ever.

Now you're suggesting, one game into his career, that he should fill the void of Kenny Lawler who he plays nothing like and in a role that is vastly different than he was drafted for?

That suggestion is just not understanding or appreciating the talent level of the CFL or even what is even fair to Clercius.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 12, 2024, 01:28:46 AMI find it funny that they would be worried about telegraphing anything. The other teams know Lawler is on the 6 game IR and there are only 2 receivers on the PR. Both are rookies.

Not sure why they would add Johnson to the AR today if they don't plan for him to play.

I'm sure Ottawa will prepare to see Bighill playing but if he doesn't they won't lose sleep over expecting him to play.

It's not like they're hiding a big secret. It's just a professional team following a best practice for obvious reasons.

Maybe they will play Johnson. But they didn't officially activate him a day early so Walters can have an easier day tomorrow. You follow?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on June 12, 2024, 01:35:16 AMClercius was drafted and projects to be a big body possession type receiver who can block. No one is thinking he's going to be a 1000 yard receiver who's going to make a living catching balls routinely 70 yards downfield. Ever.

Now you're suggesting, one game into his career, that he should fill the void of Kenny Lawler who he plays nothing like and in a role that is vastly different than he was drafted for?

That suggestion is just not understanding or appreciating the talent level of the CFL or even what is even fair to Clercius.

Oh, I'm sorry I meant to say Clercius should be groomed to replace Bailey and Wilson, Wheatfall and Johnson can fight for Lawlers job.