Kenny Lawler

Started by ModAdmin, June 07, 2024, 09:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BomberFan73

Quote from: Jesse on June 08, 2024, 01:38:39 AMLawler has not been able to put together full season. He's going to see a pretty significant pay cut next season.

But knowing Kenny, he won't like that

TecnoGenius

Quote from: The Zipp on June 07, 2024, 11:40:09 PMI was at the game so didn't have a great view - what did it look like on TV?

Didn't see anything @PAS.  On TV it was very clear he took a helmet directly to the arm/wrist and 2 secs later was looking at it like something was wrong.

Kenny's body type is a lot like Nick Moore, super lanky and (relatively) skinny.  He's made for those gumby jump catches, not for taking a huge head-on hit.

I always wondered why we put our massive $$ star receiver at wide out, but this here is the reason... it's to keep him healthy since he'll really only ever get one-on-ones in space, or corner/sideline exits where you can avoid the hit.

Remember, he had a lengthy injury in EDM too, and one of his worst years.

I'm a huge Kenny fan, but the price is soooo high and clearly hurting us elsewhere, and now it'll be a repeat of 2023 where we don't see Kenny until mid-season... it really hurts our team, especially since we don't have any hot IMP receiver-in-waiting.  I'm happy Clercius may get his big shot, but he ain't the answer as a Kenny replacement.

Get better soon Kenny!!
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Depends on the fracture. Could only be a month or so if it's best case.

Blueforlife

Quote from: dd on June 07, 2024, 10:11:19 PMWe need a reliable productive #1 reciever, and we don't have one. Man would Dominique Rhymes have looked good in blue!!
Disagree all. Our receivers are exceptional, but this injury hurts. 

TecnoGenius

Rhymes has spent a lot of time in the tub too.  And many stretches where he looked totally "meh".  AND he screwed up that play that would have sent BC to the GC instead of us...

Pass on Rhymes.  You want to play woulda-coulda, how about White who was available in FA at around Kenny money...
Never go full Rider!

dd

Quote from: Blueforlife on June 08, 2024, 02:27:52 AMDisagree all. Our receivers are exceptional, but this injury hurts. 
Exceptional receivers score touchdowns....how many touchdowns did our receiving corps score last night?? Zippo. That's far far far from exceptional

ModAdmin

Quote from: dd on June 08, 2024, 02:57:08 AMExceptional receivers score touchdowns....how many touchdowns did our receiving corps score last night?? Zippo. That's far far far from exceptional

We have excellent receivers.  It was ONE game dd.  Stay calm until/unless a real storm develops!
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Blueforlife

Quote from: dd on June 08, 2024, 02:57:08 AMExceptional receivers score touchdowns....how many touchdowns did our receiving corps score last night?? Zippo. That's far far far from exceptional
Seen this sediment from you before, got the t-shirt.  Your negativity around the club has been proven incorrect many times over the past number of years (especially pre dynasty). It's one game.  Our receivers are exceptional and played a bad game and so did Zach.  As a group they have proved to be exceptional over a long time frame.  No need to panic just like Zach said. Our QB and receivers have scored countless TDs over the years. 

Quote from: ModAdmin on June 08, 2024, 02:59:09 AMWe have excellent receivers.  It was ONE game dd.  Stay calm until/unless a real storm develops!

Facts are presented above.  Just a little rain shower, hopefully clouds clear soon.  Kenny going down was a lightning strike.

dd

Yes we ve scored countless TD s in the past, but the past is the past, live in the here and now.

The grey cup ZC struggled, he was pitiful last night. Is it a boring , predictable playbook we keep running—-how many times do you run the Demski sweep?? Teams are well prepared for us now, got lots of film on what we like to do, we re not adapting, we re not changing, we re not making plays.

Exception to the above is the play of Olivera and Augustine who both ran very well last night.

Blueforlife

Quote from: dd on June 08, 2024, 03:18:44 AMYes we ve scored countless TD s in the past, but the past is the past, live in the here and now.

The grey cup ZC struggled, he was pitiful last night. Is it a boring , predictable playbook we keep running—-how many times do you run the Demski sweep?? Teams are well prepared for us now, got lots of film on what we like to do, we re not adapting, we re not changing, we re not making plays.

Exception to the above is the play of Olivera and Augustine who both ran very well last night.
We have a very different take on things.  You look game to game I look season to season.  Buck calls a good game but yes wasn't great yesterday, generally he is a good OC.  I think you are over stating the negative on him here.  Our sweep is a key play but needs to be deployed at the right time.  I didn't like the timing of that play.  We do adapt all the time and we will learn from this loss.  Yes we made few plays yesterday.  Doesn't mean that will continue but we shall see.

Yes we live in the now but our present is guided by our past success.  I believe strongly in our offense and if our D can gel we will be ok.  I expect an average season.

We can agree on the strength of our RBs yesterday.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on June 08, 2024, 03:18:44 AMThe grey cup ZC struggled, he was pitiful last night. Is it a boring , predictable playbook we keep running—-how many times do you run the Demski sweep?? Teams are well prepared for us now, got lots of film on what we like to do, we re not adapting, we re not changing, we re not making plays.

All true.  They had 7 months and they barely tweaked the O playbook.  They trotted out the same garbage that lost us the GC.  MTL not only took the good from the GC, but studied their butts off and brought like 5-10 new plays to exploit our D tendencies.  Sad.

To be fair, we did add 1 or 2 brand new plays to specifically attack MTL's tendencies, one being that brilliant fake-Zach-scramble, Kenny double-move to get him an open corner.  That is astoundingly smart to get those pesky star MTL DBs to cheat up to the line.  Too bad Kenny whiffed and Zach overthrew by a foot.

But 1 or 2 new plays is not sufficient work for 7 months in a sets-the-tone game against the guys who hosed us in the GC.

My beef about the Demski sweep is compare it to the MTL sweep later in the game.  Demski got maybe 3?  The MTL guy got 6 or 8 on the same play.  That's inexcusable by both the O and D.  Why not use the some-other-player-sweep like we did with Lawler late in last season?  You have to do what they are not expecting, and use what they are expecting as misdirection.  That's what 7 months of OC planning is supposed to provide.
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

Johnson or Wheatfall will draw in for Lawler. Like to see the Bombers resign Cody Case or Sy, Barnett for the PR.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Blueforlife

Quote from: Pigskin on June 08, 2024, 04:43:15 AMJohnson or Wheatfall will draw in for Lawler. Like to see the Bombers resign Cody Case or Sy, Barnett for the PR.
Who is your preference to start? I don't know much about these new faces
Agree need one call back

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pigskin on June 08, 2024, 04:43:15 AMJohnson or Wheatfall will draw in for Lawler. Like to see the Bombers resign Cody Case or Sy, Barnett for the PR.

Who's the guy who had #74 and was making plays a lot in PS2.  Minus the fumble I thought he was the best.  Adams?  Get him back.
Never go full Rider!

gobombersgo

Quote from: Blue In BC on June 07, 2024, 11:52:54 PMMost unfortunate. The only positive is that we'd be saving quite a bit of SMS.

The savings wont be as much as some may think as he received a 150k signing bonus. As well, his replacement on the game roster will need to be paid.

2) Kenny Lawler, Winnipeg Blue Bombers (A)

Hard money: $285,000
Maximum value: $285,000

The two-time West Division all-star renegotiated his contract early this off-season to lower his cap hit from $310,000 to $285,000, collecting a $150,000 signing bonus in the process. He will also earn a $115,000 base salary, $13,800 in housing money, and $7,200 in travel money this season in Bomberland.

https://3downnation.com/2024/05/09/the-cfls-15-highest-paid-receivers-for-the-2024-season/