Main Training Camp News and Observations

Started by ModAdmin, May 12, 2024, 06:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 15, 2024, 10:54:43 PMI've noticed other teams placing players on the 1 game IR. That keeps them on the roster and they get paid.

Putting someone on the 6 game is more of an issue since we can only take 1 off each 1/2 of the season IIRC.

Neufeld on retired or suspended means no pay check. I don't know if he showed up for TC and decided he's done.

However they could have put him on the 1 game IR to continue being paid. That's if he showed up and plans to play in 2024.

At this point I'd think he didn't show up but that's only a guess.  I'd like to think the team knew what his plans were and this didn't just come up?

We need someone that was at practice that could fill us in. Like stretchered off the field for example.

Did Neufeld not extend for another year back in December or earlier this year? Something a bit odd of him retiring at the very start of camp. I'm thinking he wants to avoid training camp at his age!! :)

ichabod_crane

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 17, 2024, 02:06:10 AMNothing wrong with Wilson either!

Need Wilson's speed outside, not in the middle. MLB should be more focused on run stopping and sort of the QB of the defence. Pass coverage a bonus.

GOLDMEMBER

I'm not encouraged with Bighill this year. I think we see him struggle with nagging injuries all year and play drop off IMO.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Bomber Diehard

I agree Bighill better days are behind him.

Downtown Mikester

There is no question that Adam Bighill is a first ballot Hall of Famer. But there's also no question that his best days are behind him. He's been on the downswing these last few years, and is no longer an impact player.

You can talk all you want about leadership and experience, but the body has to be able to perform. We all saw what having an impact MLB will do for your team watching Montreal in last year's playoffs (Darnell Sankey). The Bombers' loyalty is admirable, but they should have been seriously seeking out an impact replacement in the middle these last couple of years.

MLB is far too important a position to keep hoping you'll get one more season out of an aging veteran, even if that veteran is Adam Bighill.

Pigskin

Finally a morning without rain. A little warmer and the sun is out, the boys seem to have a little more energy this morning.

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

theaardvark

Not sure the vibe I'm getting.  Can't put the finger on any one thing, but the loss of some voices in the room, Biggie's injury, Neufeld's "retirement", handing the D to Younger...

There seems to me to be a little more uncertainty.  The O looks stacked, for sure, and ST's seem to have gotten some really good new players, the D definately has some interesting prospects, but I'm just not feeling it yet.

Is it the 2 lost cups?  Maybe.  I really don't know, and I hope its nothing.  Still think we are going to lead the league in most ways, but something feels off.  Maybe it was the "Too Good To Go" breakfast today.  Hope so.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: theaardvark on May 17, 2024, 03:30:16 PMNot sure the vibe I'm getting.  Can't put the finger on any one thing, but the loss of some voices in the room, Biggie's injury, Neufeld's "retirement", handing the D to Younger...

There seems to me to be a little more uncertainty.  The O looks stacked, for sure, and ST's seem to have gotten some really good new players, the D definately has some interesting prospects, but I'm just not feeling it yet.

Is it the 2 lost cups?  Maybe.  I really don't know, and I hope its nothing.  Still think we are going to lead the league in most ways, but something feels off.  Maybe it was the "Too Good To Go" breakfast today.  Hope so.

This was always going to be a bit of a reload year. They'll still be good, we can easily win it all, but there's more problems to be solved than past years and if you ask me they're looking a bit more ahead than usual, which makes sense considering GC2025.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Downtown Mikester on May 17, 2024, 02:12:33 PMThere is no question that Adam Bighill is a first ballot Hall of Famer. But there's also no question that his best days are behind him. He's been on the downswing these last few years, and is no longer an impact player.

You can talk all you want about leadership and experience, but the body has to be able to perform. We all saw what having an impact MLB will do for your team watching Montreal in last year's playoffs (Darnell Sankey). The Bombers' loyalty is admirable, but they should have been seriously seeking out an impact replacement in the middle these last couple of years.

MLB is far too important a position to keep hoping you'll get one more season out of an aging veteran, even if that veteran is Adam Bighill.

As long as they find Bighill's future replacement and have him in house getting some game reps. this season I'm not too worried, who knows it might even be Max Charbonneau a Natl.  Biggie's physical impact may have decreased somewhat but he's far from being a liability on the field, his intelligence and hard work still make him a key leader on the team.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Downtown Mikester on May 17, 2024, 02:12:33 PMThe Bombers' loyalty is admirable, but they should have been seriously seeking out an impact replacement in the middle these last couple of years.

Who should they have targeted to replace Bighill? LBs of that calibre don't just fall into one's lap.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Downtown Mikester

Last season, I would have honestly gone hard after Sankey once he became available. And I'm not just saying this in retrospect.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Downtown Mikester on May 17, 2024, 05:03:49 PMLast season, I would have honestly gone hard after Sankey once he became available. And I'm not just saying this in retrospect.

Are you sure about that? Bighill only missed one game last season.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

Blue In BC

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on May 17, 2024, 05:08:18 PMAre you sure about that? Bighill only missed one game last season.

I wanted to acquire Sankey when he became available. IMO he would have been an upgrade to our depth, regardless of an injury issue at the time.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

bwiser

There is much more change on this years team.The last few seasons the changes have been minimal. This had to happen with a team that is aging.The Bombers may not start the season as strong as they usually do but its not how you start its how you finish and I think the team will be stronger as the season unfolds.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 17, 2024, 05:23:56 PMI wanted to acquire Sankey when he became available. IMO he would have been an upgrade to our depth, regardless of an injury issue at the time.

I'm sure I said the same thing, which is a far cry from "going hard" after him. From a SMS standpoint, I don't think it was realistic at the time.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず