Main Training Camp News and Observations

Started by ModAdmin, May 12, 2024, 06:24:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 15, 2024, 11:25:12 PMYou make a good argument, so I hope that is the case. Bighill and Parker don't need to practice. Not sure about the deal with Hallett.  We have some other Canadian DB's fighting for spots and he wasn't exactly a lock for a spot on the AR.

I might be wrong about teams placing others on 1 game IR. Perhaps this is something new in the use of 6 game IR in TC.  We did move Demski and Oliveria to " injured veteran " earlier, so th3se definitions are a little confusing in TC.

Neufeld is another story and it's not clear whether he showed up for TC. If not they probably can't put him on the IR, so it's retire / suspension and no pay check. The pay check is only the TC daily stipend and not game checks.

It is hard to believe that Bighill could have sustained a serious injury and no info.

Pretty sure Neufeld lives year round in Wpg. now, so unlikely he would be a no-show at TC.  He even attended the CFL Combine a few months ago along with Willie and Lawler as they probably didn't have much else to do.

As for the possibility of injuries, recall how many hold-over injuries the Bombers dealt with at the start of last season from the previous year, some of those players didn't return to form until mid-season.  Note that Bighill did have a late season injury that messed him up through the playoffs, he now claims he's fine but the training staff may want to slow him down.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on May 16, 2024, 12:33:13 AMThe guys who were 6-gamed are ineligible to return for week 1 (according to Derek Taylor). So these are real injuries.

Neufeld was confirmed as just a roster move.

Well hell. And there's a bunch of articles now too.

Hallett hasn't played since 2022 so I guess that's no surprise. Parker is a big loss. I suppose Ford is all but pencilled in now at field side. Less concerned about Bighill just because we'll lose out on experience but gain athletically with whoever fills that.

ModAdmin

Quick Hits | Training Camp — Day 4

"...The Blue Bombers put LB Adam Bighill, CB Jamal Parker and DB Noah Hallett on the six-game injured list today. All three were on the field earlier in camp, but did not finish the practice Tuesday. Asked specifically about Bighill and Parker after practice, Blue Bombers head coach Mike O'Shea said, "we're still gathering information."

As well, the club released the following players to meet Tuesday night's 75-player limit (not including non-counters like draft picks): Canadian LB Jared Beeksma, defensive backs Raleigh Texada and CJ Siegel, RB Ronnie Brown, receiver Ravi Alston and DL John Waggoner...."

A good portion of this article is on Peter Afful, Jr. - his mind set and preparation for the CFL and his opportunity to make the team.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/05/15/quick-hits-training-camp-day-4-3/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

BomberFan73

Bighill not being ready could be a blessing in disguise.  If we think about the big picture, we want him healthy at the end of the year.  I could care less if he didn't play until September.  But this allows staff to get a real feel and see players in game situations to really make sure we have the best players sticking around.

Parker being hurt also is not a big deal.  Again, it really allows us to get a good look at those battling for that corner spot.

I'm excited to see who from the bunch step up to claim a spot.

Blue In BC

I suppose that Moses is the leading candidate to be our MLB in the short term. I suppose there is a chance they move Wilson over but he's a little light IMO for that role. The rookies we have in camp seem to be more suited to WIL or even SAM.

Need some feedback from practice as to who is getting the most reps at MLB and both CB's.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: BomberFan73 on May 16, 2024, 12:34:31 PMBighill not being ready could be a blessing in disguise.  If we think about the big picture, we want him healthy at the end of the year.  I could care less if he didn't play until September.  But this allows staff to get a real feel and see players in game situations to really make sure we have the best players sticking around.

Parker being hurt also is not a big deal.  Again, it really allows us to get a good look at those battling for that corner spot.

I'm excited to see who from the bunch step up to claim a spot.

Poor Parker, he ends up on the IR every time he's ready to step into the corner role, someone else plays well in his absence and he has to wait to get his job back.

Pigskin

Love this weather for the forest fires and my grass, but not for practice.

Another greasy day on our new turf. 

I was just asked who Larry Dean is playing for. Sorry, Larry has retired .

Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on May 16, 2024, 01:39:42 PMI suppose that Moses is the leading candidate to be our MLB in the short term. I suppose there is a chance they move Wilson over but he's a little light IMO for that role. The rookies we have in camp seem to be more suited to WIL or even SAM.

Need some feedback from practice as to who is getting the most reps at MLB and both CB's.

As Danny McManus explained in his recent interview with Ed Tait, the biggest hurdle for a newcomer attempting to win a job at LB is the learning curve.  The candidate must have a high football IQ and understand fully what is happening on every play and be able to communicate that info. quickly. It's a tough role for any newcomer to  step into, hopefully they keep one of these rookies around on the PR to learn the position throughout the year so they're prepared to step up next season.

kkc60

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on May 16, 2024, 03:23:51 PMAs Danny McManus explained in his recent interview with Ed Tait, the biggest hurdle for a newcomer attempting to win a job at LB is the learning curve.  The candidate must have a high football IQ and understand fully what is happening on every play and be able to communicate that info. quickly. It's a tough role for any newcomer to  step into, hopefully they keep one of these rookies around on the PR to learn the role throughout the year so they're prepared to step up next season.
It's gonna be an interesting competition. Some guys have pretty good college resumés as MLBs (one can only assume whether they quarterbacked the defence). Looking forward to seeing who comes out of this competition on top. 1 starter and one DI is the direction I would assume they'd go.

Unrelated, but would Brian Cole be eligible for the "nationalized american" label? I think that's what it's called. If so, could that explain his move to SAM?

Blue In BC

Quote from: kkc60 on May 16, 2024, 03:41:13 PMIt's gonna be an interesting competition. Some guys have pretty good college resumés as MLBs (one can only assume whether they quarterbacked the defence). Looking forward to seeing who comes out of this competition on top. 1 starter and one DI is the direction I would assume they'd go.

Unrelated, but would Brian Cole be eligible for the "nationalized american" label? I think that's what it's called. If so, could that explain his move to SAM?

I think the " nationalized american " has to have been with a team for 3 years or the CFL? This would be only his 3rd year this season. So no I don't think he'd be eligible. I think Cole is just getting more of an opportunity to be a back up at different positions. Bombers do that with many players. Versatility.

OTOH I haven't figured out what this designation purpose / value is and in 2023 I didn't see "that " player noted in the depth chart.

Bombers have several players that could technically qualify: Alexander, Nichols, Bryant, Castillo, Bighill, Wilson to name a few.

The CFL has too many different designations and exceptions IMO. I've lost track of where they are going or trying to accomplish.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

According to O'Shea Bighill and Parker's injuries are real, sounds like Parker may be gone for an extended time, so something major must have happened on the field.

ModAdmin

Quick Hits | Training Camp – Day 5

"...The big news in Bomberland broke Wednesday afternoon when the CFL transaction wire revealed the club had moved linebacker Adam Bighill, cornerback Jamal Parker and defensive back Noah Hallett to the six-game injured list.

All three injuries impact the club in various ways, but the loss of Bighill — a future Canadian Football Hall of Famer, a leader and the quarterback of the defence — could be significant.

"I don't know that he'll be on the full six (games) — it's just one of those things you have to do to manage the business properly," said head coach Mike O'Shea after Thursday's practice. "I'm hopeful it won't be the full six, but we'll see. We have a bunch of guys in camp competing because we have spots available. Obviously, Kyrie Wilson and Shayne (Gauthier) — guys we've had in our building for a long time — can play that spot...."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/05/16/quick-hits-training-camp-day-5-3/
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

kkc60

Quote from: ModAdmin on May 17, 2024, 01:02:48 AMQuick Hits | Training Camp – Day 5

"...The big news in Bomberland broke Wednesday afternoon when the CFL transaction wire revealed the club had moved linebacker Adam Bighill, cornerback Jamal Parker and defensive back Noah Hallett to the six-game injured list.

All three injuries impact the club in various ways, but the loss of Bighill — a future Canadian Football Hall of Famer, a leader and the quarterback of the defence — could be significant.

"I don't know that he'll be on the full six (games) — it's just one of those things you have to do to manage the business properly," said head coach Mike O'Shea after Thursday's practice. "I'm hopeful it won't be the full six, but we'll see. We have a bunch of guys in camp competing because we have spots available. Obviously, Kyrie Wilson and Shayne (Gauthier) — guys we've had in our building for a long time — can play that spot...."

https://www.bluebombers.com/2024/05/16/quick-hits-training-camp-day-5-3/

not very promising if the first options seem to be Wilson out of position or Gauthier

CrazyCanuck89

Quote from: kkc60 on May 17, 2024, 01:07:21 AMnot very promising if the first options seem to be Wilson out of position or Gauthier
Nothing wrong with Gauthier.

Throw Long Bannatyne