MBT / Edmonton rumours

Started by theaardvark, December 24, 2023, 07:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

Quote from: DCM on January 05, 2024, 11:30:35 PM
Farhan Lalji
@FarhanLaljiTSN
Hearing that McLeod Bethel Thompson has agreed to a 1 year deal with the #Elks. It?s a significant deal that could reach 500k with incentives, meaning he would be the starter.
This is the second good move by Jones, first was not signing cornelius. Why he hooked his wagon to him is beyond me, but Elks will make the west very competitive this year

Cool Spot

Quote from: Blueforlife on January 06, 2024, 12:43:24 AM
https://3downnation.com/2024/01/05/edmonton-elks-sign-veteran-qb-mcleod-bethel-thompson-report/

Good signing for EDM (probably).

Where does this leave Dru Brown?

* BC -> Vernon Adams is the starter
* EDM -> MBT is the starter
* CGY -> Jake Maier is the starter... maybe an option here?
* SASK -> Maybe an option if SASK wants to move on from an aging Trevor Harris?
* WPG -> Heir-apparent behind Collaros, but wouldn't be the starter till then
* TOR -> Chad Kelly isn't going anywhere
* HAM -> Has BLM
* MTL -> Has Grey Champion QB Cody Fajardo
* OTT -> Probably the best option for Dru Brown (other than SASK), but... Ottawa is not a good team. Without significant upgrades in multiple areas, Brown will look like a mediocre QB and that could hurt his future marketability

So, that narrows his options if he's still looking around.

theaardvark

Maybe he stays, with big playing time bonuses (if Collaros can't start due to injury, we can use the SMS savings to pay his bonuses). 

Maybe Collaros takes a little haircut to keep Dru and make him the highest paid non starter.

How close to a million can Walters go on the QB corps?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

Quote from: Cool Spot on January 06, 2024, 04:10:17 AM
Good signing for EDM (probably).

Where does this leave Dru Brown?

* BC -> Vernon Adams is the starter
* EDM -> MBT is the starter
* CGY -> Jake Maier is the starter... maybe an option here?
* SASK -> Maybe an option if SASK wants to move on from an aging Trevor Harris?
* WPG -> Heir-apparent behind Collaros, but wouldn't be the starter till then
* TOR -> Chad Kelly isn't going anywhere
* HAM -> Has BLM
* MTL -> Has Grey Champion QB Cody Fajardo
* OTT -> Probably the best option for Dru Brown (other than SASK), but... Ottawa is not a good team. Without significant upgrades in multiple areas, Brown will look like a mediocre QB and that could hurt his future marketability

So, that narrows his options if he's still looking around.

Good analysis. The teams that may want a change at QB have other issues but Dru Brown might be a consideration. I am wondering whether Calgary and Regina stick with their current QB or decide to move on.

Overall Hamilton and Ottawa seem like the most probable to upgrade. Both might look to improve their roster elsewhere around their current QB's when spending SMS. Or do they cross their fingers and add Brown hoping to significantly and immediately improve that position? How much of an improvement both short and long term do they see Brown?

I honestly don't know how this will work out.

EDIT: Re the Elks. Adding MBT is a big change to their spend at the QB position. Add in the extra $100K they need to absorb releasing Cornelius. Will watch to see how this impacts their ability to keep or add talent.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

Ottawa and Hamilton have got to seriously take a run at signing DB, same with Saskatchewan. Both Masoli, Harris and BLM are aging and coming off of injuries and I don't like their odds of staying healthy in 2024. They would be smart to get Brown under contract and step in when the time comes which may be sooner than most think.

Pete

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 06, 2024, 02:06:42 PM
Good analysis. The teams that may want a change at QB have other issues but Dru Brown might be a consideration. I am wondering whether Calgary and Regina stick with their current QB or decide to move on.

Overall Hamilton and Ottawa seem like the most probable to upgrade. Both might look to improve their roster elsewhere around their current QB's when spending SMS. Or do they cross their fingers and add Brown hoping to significantly and immediately improve that position? How much of an improvement both short and long term do they see Brown?

I honestly don't know how this will work out.

EDIT: Re the Elks. Adding MBT is a big change to their spend at the QB position. Add in the extra $100K they need to absorb releasing Cornelius. Will watch to see how this impacts their ability to keep or add talent.
elks also released a big contract in Steve Dunbar (200k+)  so that will account for a good portion of the 100k (along with Aaron Grimes)

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on January 06, 2024, 08:40:28 PM
elks also released a big contract in Steve Dunbar (200k+)  so that will account for a good portion of the 100k (along with Aaron Grimes)

Grimes never made it off the 6 game IR so that's no SMS help. Shedding Dunbar might account for the $100K needed to pay releasing Cornelius.

In any case, MBT will be a higher SMS hit adding to the cost of the SMS for QB's.

I expect a few other vets will be released or not re-signed. Arceneaux, Gainey, Purifoy and Leonard come to mind. It's a combination of high SMS costs and need to upgrade across the board. Even Lewis could be a casualty.

Eks might see Schoen as a better alternative and a lower cost to Lewis? Just an example.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

You guys talk like Shoen was this super star.  Which in Winnipeg he was.  However, being a number one, and getting the best cover guy on him, does he excell as much?

In Winnipeg, he had four other guys that took turns taking the heat off each other.

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on January 07, 2024, 12:52:44 AM
You guys talk like Shoen was this super star.  Which in Winnipeg he was.  However, being a number one, and getting the best cover guy on him, does he excell as much?

In Winnipeg, he had four other guys that took turns taking the heat off each other.

All true. Winnipeg might be his best fit and that will determine his SMS value. Obviously it will still be a good sized raise but knowing what our limit is depends on when any re-signing takes place.

Those that sign earlier, to some degree, dictate how much is left for those that sign later as free agency nears.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: DM83 on January 07, 2024, 12:52:44 AM

Disagree, Schoen has multiple things going for him, he is in excellent physical condition and has a great work ethic, he runs every route full out even if he knows he's not the primary receiver.  He's played 1-1/2 of his two seasons without Lawler taking any of the attention off him and he's led the league in multiple receiving categories.  Not sure how much more you can expect from a receiver other than playing at the top of his game, every game.

Nic16

Quote from: dd on January 06, 2024, 05:57:43 PM
Ottawa and Hamilton have got to seriously take a run at signing DB, same with Saskatchewan. Both Masoli, Harris and BLM are aging and coming off of injuries and I don't like their odds of staying healthy in 2024. They would be smart to get Brown under contract and step in when the time comes which may be sooner than most think.

The Riders new OC has already announced their intention to go with Harris - who is very well paid. Now, whether they stick to that plan is up for debate. That said, with a new coaching staff they are not in the best position to take a gamble on Brown.

Hamilton could consider Brown, but with Powell & Shiltz behind Mitchell they may be content.

This leaves Ott as the big player for Brown. I highly doubt they would throw big money at him, but I could see an offer 6 figures larger than what the BB could offer.

Brown has been a real nice fit behind ZC, and it would suck to lose him after 2 years of development. Unless of course Walters has the Strev card in his hand.

Nic16

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 07, 2024, 08:24:16 PM
Disagree, Schoen has multiple things going for him, he is in excellent physical condition and has a great work ethic, he runs every route full out even if he knows he's not the primary receiver.  He's played 1-1/2 of his two seasons without Lawler taking any of the attention off him and he's led the league in multiple receiving categories.  Not sure how much more you can expect from a receiver other than playing at the top of his game, every game.

Agreed. Schoen has become a fan favourite for good reason. He will continue to put up big numbers over his CFL career.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Nic16 on January 07, 2024, 08:28:06 PM
The Riders new OC has already announced their intention to go with Harris - who is very well paid. Now, whether they stick to that plan is up for debate. That said, with a new coaching staff they are not in the best position to take a gamble on Brown.

Hamilton could consider Brown, but with Powell & Shiltz behind Mitchell they may be content.

This leaves Ott as the big player for Brown. I highly doubt they would throw big money at him, but I could see an offer 6 figures larger than what the BB could offer.

Brown has been a real nice fit behind ZC, and it would suck to lose him after 2 years of development. Unless of course Walters has the Strev card in his hand.

I'd be surprised if Shiltz didn't move on to a better opportunity in FA, with BLM and Powell under contract Ti-Cats are well set for the future at a reasonable price.  I think Schiltz will get plenty of attention from teams looking for a solid #2 option, which includes almost every team.

dd

Quote from: Nic16 on January 07, 2024, 08:28:06 PM

Teams hooking their wagon to an old injury prone vet with no proven backup in place are destined for failure. Harris gets hurt, Riders go to last place in a heartbeat. Masoli gets hurt Ottawa will remain bottom in the east. Hamilton going with Powell or Schultz and BLM will do the same thing they did this year and that?s make the playoffs and get easily tossed to the sideline.

Brown could start start for any 1 of those 3 teams and move them up the competitiveness scale and standings. Stay status quo and they?ll stay exactly where they?re at- bottom third of the league.