MBT / Edmonton rumours

Started by theaardvark, December 24, 2023, 07:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Would be a huge mistake for MBT, and Edm.

Unless someone is asking to take Ford in a trade for a big return, this makes zero sense.

Having Cornelius, MBT and Ford under contract is not optimal GMing. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

I don?t really know what?s going on with MBT. I don?t know if he?s going to just sign with any team. He seemed quite ready to retire a year ago, might just be a case of the perfect situation or nothing.

That said, why would it be a bad move for Edmonton? They are a QB away from really competing.
My wife is amazing!

dd

Quote from: theaardvark on December 24, 2023, 07:59:44 PM

Unless someone is asking to take Ford in a trade for a big return, this makes zero sense.

If elks sign MBT, I?d outright cut Cornelius, start MBT and then have Ford come in on second and short and run a high tempo offense to catch the D off guard. I can see it working

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on December 24, 2023, 10:44:02 PM
If elks sign MBT, I?d outright cut Cornelius, start MBT and then have Ford come in on second and short and run a high tempo offense to catch the D off guard. I can see it working

I agree.  But I think Corney is on some sort of guaranteed contract?  So even if cut he'll still cost them?

MBT will probably win you more games than Ford.  Ford has the same limitation as Cody: can't (reliably) throw deep.  You can still win games, but the D's don't have to take the deep threat seriously and can undercut every route.  I still want Ford to stay on the radar, but to me he needs more dev.

Glad to see MBT is still nuts though.  I don't think he has any idea what he's doing.  Probably wakes up a throws at a dartboard each morning to see what wacky decision he'll make that day.  But hey, I guess it's working for him, as he has a GC ring and seems contented in general.
Never go full Rider!

bluebeard

MBT, I believe, did not retire and played in the USFL last season.  He did very well and after his team got bounced from the playoffs he asked for his release.  Seems he realized that the league and the XFL are in trouble and may evem fold if their merger does not go through as planned.  Now he wants back in the CFL.

dd

I hope he comes back. Hamilton, Ottawa and Edmonton all need a legit #1 Qb to make them competitive.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on December 26, 2023, 03:18:50 PM
I hope he comes back. Hamilton, Ottawa and Edmonton all need a legit #1 Qb to make them competitive.

If he does come back, that makes it just that much easier to keep Dru...
Never go full Rider!

Pete

If they dont sign Mbt I wonder if Masoli would be an option?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on December 27, 2023, 02:22:16 PM
If they dont sign Mbt I wonder if Masoli would be an option?

Doubt it, Masoli likely misses half the season, can't see Jones having any interest in him.

dd

Hamilton made it pretty clear they are moving on from BLM and rightfully so, trouble is, nobody they had last year is worth starting. If I was them, I?d make a play for MBT and amp up the rivalry with the Argos.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on December 27, 2023, 11:09:07 PM
Hamilton made it pretty clear they are moving on from BLM and rightfully so, trouble is, nobody they had last year is worth starting. If I was them, I?d make a play for MBT and amp up the rivalry with the Argos.

I'll take your word for HAM/BLM... but like other teams wanting to move on, aren't they stuck with the new partially-guaranteed vet contract of the old QB?  I have no idea of the amounts or rules involved, but even if they have to pay half, that's a lot of SMS$.  Wouldn't it be better to just keep BLM around as an overpaid backup until his contract is up?
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on December 27, 2023, 11:09:07 PM

Evidence?  I watched the Scott Milanovich press conference at the time he was hired and he was not definitive on their QB situation.

dd

In their playoff game, they elected to go with Powell, who sucked big time, and let BLM sit on the sidelines and afterwards, BLM more or less stated that he'd like to remain in Hamilton but if he isn't going to play, he'll move on. Whether he does or not remains to be seen, but if it was a choice between MBT and BLM, I'd go with McLeod all the way, the guy's got an arm, BLM doesn't.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on December 28, 2023, 05:23:33 PM
In their playoff game, they elected to go with Powell, who sucked big time, and let BLM sit on the sidelines and afterwards, BLM more or less stated that he'd like to remain in Hamilton but if he isn't going to play, he'll move on. Whether he does or not remains to be seen, but if it was a choice between MBT and BLM, I'd go with McLeod all the way, the guy's got an arm, BLM doesn't.

It was Shiltz not Powell, if you're trying to present an argument at least get the details right.

Pete

the point is BLM is done.
(59% completion rate ly, 67.5 efficiency, hello tsn panel)

Tiger

Quote from: theaardvark on December 24, 2023, 07:59:44 PM

You underestimate the insanity and desperation of Jones
Football is easy if you're crazy as hell
Bo Jackson

We are inclined to think that if we watch a football game or a baseball game, we have taken part in it
John Fitzgerald Kennedy

BC Sucks
Tiger

TecnoGenius

I talked with quite a few HAM fans when I was there for the GC and they were all sour on BLM and think his hiring was a bad idea.  No one hated him, but they got funny looks on their faces and had nothing but meh things to say about him.  I think all uber CFL fans know BLM's arm (and maybe eyes/brain interface) has passed its expiry date.
Never go full Rider!

Cool Spot

If MBT doesn't get hurt in the 2022 Grey Cup, the Bombers win that game.

There, I said it. Discuss.  ;D

dd

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on December 28, 2023, 07:28:08 PM
It was Shiltz not Powell, if you're trying to present an argument at least get the details right.
Oh ya, it was powerhouse Schiltz, the lifetime backup thrust into the starting Qb spot  by yet another desparate team.

Who cares who the bum of the game was under centre, bottom line is Hamilton doesn?t have a starting Qb between the 3 Qbs they have right now and would be fools not59take a run at signing MBT. But then again, who really cares !?!

Stretch

Perhaps I missed it, but what is the source of the "MBT/Edmonton" rumour?
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

DM83

I didn?t get any statement about the Edm rumour?  Was it Macleod or BLM?

Pete

https://3downnation.com/2023/12/23/edmonton-elks-pushing-to-sign-veteran-qb-mcleod-bethel-thompson/

If i was Tre Ford it would be disturbing to see Jones trying to sign a #1 qb, especially with how long it took for Jones to give him a chance. It seems like Jones really doesnt have confidence in him. You'd think that with the experience ly Ford would be only getting better.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Cool Spot on December 29, 2023, 04:09:02 AM
If MBT doesn't get hurt in the 2022 Grey Cup, the Bombers win that game.

There, I said it. Discuss.  ;D

Guaranteed.  We talked about it in the original thread, if you can dig it up.  The Kelly 2nd & 17 run is what did us in.  Kind of like the Cody 2nd & 18 run when Willie/Wilson almost had him for another sack.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on December 29, 2023, 06:50:07 PM
https://3downnation.com/2023/12/23/edmonton-elks-pushing-to-sign-veteran-qb-mcleod-bethel-thompson/

If i was Tre Ford it would be disturbing to see Jones trying to sign a #1 qb, especially with how long it took for Jones to give him a chance. It seems like Jones really doesnt have confidence in him. You'd think that with the experience ly Ford would be only getting better.

Don't put the cart before the horse.  Ford is developing and looking like he may have something, but he's still a young QB with not many years under his belt.  Less years than Dru!!  Many QBs have to wait much longer to start.  Muuuch longer.

The only reason we got any look at all at Ford is Corney was really stinking the joint out so badly that fan/pundit/board pressure forced Jones to try something, anything, new.  If EDM's QB was winning at least .400 then Ford would have never seen the field.

My point is, if I'm Ford, don't get too snooty and demanding at this critical juncture.  If I'm a desperate team's GM, I'd be picking Dru over Tre as my "gamble QB".  Patience may be the best path, and I believe Ford's future will be bright.
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on December 29, 2023, 10:14:22 PM
Don't put the cart before the horse.  Ford is developing and looking like he may have something, but he's still a young QB with not many years under his belt.  Less years than Dru!!  Many QBs have to wait much longer to start.  Muuuch longer.

The only reason we got any look at all at Ford is Corney was really stinking the joint out so badly that fan/pundit/board pressure forced Jones to try something, anything, new.  If EDM's QB was winning at least .400 then Ford would have never seen the field.

My point is, if I'm Ford, don't get too snooty and demanding at this critical juncture.  If I'm a desperate team's GM, I'd be picking Dru over Tre as my "gamble QB".  Patience may be the best path, and I believe Ford's future will be bright.

I haven't re-watched a game Ford played in a few months so I may be mis-remembering, but he seems to be a one-trick-pony who can be shut down fairly easily with good containment and a zone defence.  I can understand Jones trepidation starting him as it's hard to put faith in a game plan that relies on a QB running around the backfield until he spots an open receiver.  Next season should determine if Ford can progress playing within the normal constraints a QB is expected to follow.  I think imitating Vernon Adams would be a good model for Ford to follow.

Pete

Actually Ford had a very respectable 102.5 efficiency rating, 67.8 completion rate , 12 passing tds to 6 interceptions, this on top of his "one trick" running ability. Overall for starts he was 4 and 6. Like I inferred hes only going to get better.

booch

Quote from: Pete on December 30, 2023, 03:41:54 AM
Actually Ford had a very respectable 102.5 efficiency rating, 67.8 completion rate , 12 passing tds to 6 interceptions, this on top of his "one trick" running ability. Overall for starts he was 4 and 6. Like I inferred hes only going to get better.
Proper coaching...system and right environment Ford will be very very good

theaardvark

Cornelius gone, Jones paying him $100k not to play for him.

Said to be close to signing MBT, poor Ford...

That said, if someone else signs MBT, it really solidifies Ford there.

Ham has Bo back on a team friendly deal...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

DCM

Farhan Lalji
@FarhanLaljiTSN
Hearing that McLeod Bethel Thompson has agreed to a 1 year deal with the #Elks. It?s a significant deal that could reach 500k with incentives, meaning he would be the starter.
Twitch Account: Here - Website: Here

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: DCM on January 05, 2024, 11:30:35 PM
Farhan Lalji
@FarhanLaljiTSN
Hearing that McLeod Bethel Thompson has agreed to a 1 year deal with the #Elks. It?s a significant deal that could reach 500k with incentives, meaning he would be the starter.

I could see this move vaulting the Elks past the Riders and even the Stamps if they can't escape the morass they lingered in last season.

dd

Quote from: DCM on January 05, 2024, 11:30:35 PM
Farhan Lalji
@FarhanLaljiTSN
This is the second good move by Jones, first was not signing cornelius. Why he hooked his wagon to him is beyond me, but Elks will make the west very competitive this year

Cool Spot

Quote from: Blueforlife on January 06, 2024, 12:43:24 AM
https://3downnation.com/2024/01/05/edmonton-elks-sign-veteran-qb-mcleod-bethel-thompson-report/

Good signing for EDM (probably).

Where does this leave Dru Brown?

* BC -> Vernon Adams is the starter
* EDM -> MBT is the starter
* CGY -> Jake Maier is the starter... maybe an option here?
* SASK -> Maybe an option if SASK wants to move on from an aging Trevor Harris?
* WPG -> Heir-apparent behind Collaros, but wouldn't be the starter till then
* TOR -> Chad Kelly isn't going anywhere
* HAM -> Has BLM
* MTL -> Has Grey Champion QB Cody Fajardo
* OTT -> Probably the best option for Dru Brown (other than SASK), but... Ottawa is not a good team. Without significant upgrades in multiple areas, Brown will look like a mediocre QB and that could hurt his future marketability

So, that narrows his options if he's still looking around.

theaardvark

Maybe he stays, with big playing time bonuses (if Collaros can't start due to injury, we can use the SMS savings to pay his bonuses). 

Maybe Collaros takes a little haircut to keep Dru and make him the highest paid non starter.

How close to a million can Walters go on the QB corps?

Blue In BC

Quote from: Cool Spot on January 06, 2024, 04:10:17 AM
Good signing for EDM (probably).

Where does this leave Dru Brown?

* BC -> Vernon Adams is the starter
* EDM -> MBT is the starter
* CGY -> Jake Maier is the starter... maybe an option here?
* SASK -> Maybe an option if SASK wants to move on from an aging Trevor Harris?
* WPG -> Heir-apparent behind Collaros, but wouldn't be the starter till then
* TOR -> Chad Kelly isn't going anywhere
* HAM -> Has BLM
* MTL -> Has Grey Champion QB Cody Fajardo
* OTT -> Probably the best option for Dru Brown (other than SASK), but... Ottawa is not a good team. Without significant upgrades in multiple areas, Brown will look like a mediocre QB and that could hurt his future marketability

So, that narrows his options if he's still looking around.

Good analysis. The teams that may want a change at QB have other issues but Dru Brown might be a consideration. I am wondering whether Calgary and Regina stick with their current QB or decide to move on.

Overall Hamilton and Ottawa seem like the most probable to upgrade. Both might look to improve their roster elsewhere around their current QB's when spending SMS. Or do they cross their fingers and add Brown hoping to significantly and immediately improve that position? How much of an improvement both short and long term do they see Brown?

I honestly don't know how this will work out.

EDIT: Re the Elks. Adding MBT is a big change to their spend at the QB position. Add in the extra $100K they need to absorb releasing Cornelius. Will watch to see how this impacts their ability to keep or add talent.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

Ottawa and Hamilton have got to seriously take a run at signing DB, same with Saskatchewan. Both Masoli, Harris and BLM are aging and coming off of injuries and I don't like their odds of staying healthy in 2024. They would be smart to get Brown under contract and step in when the time comes which may be sooner than most think.

Pete

Quote from: Blue In BC on January 06, 2024, 02:06:42 PM
Good analysis. The teams that may want a change at QB have other issues but Dru Brown might be a consideration. I am wondering whether Calgary and Regina stick with their current QB or decide to move on.

Overall Hamilton and Ottawa seem like the most probable to upgrade. Both might look to improve their roster elsewhere around their current QB's when spending SMS. Or do they cross their fingers and add Brown hoping to significantly and immediately improve that position? How much of an improvement both short and long term do they see Brown?

I honestly don't know how this will work out.

EDIT: Re the Elks. Adding MBT is a big change to their spend at the QB position. Add in the extra $100K they need to absorb releasing Cornelius. Will watch to see how this impacts their ability to keep or add talent.
elks also released a big contract in Steve Dunbar (200k+)  so that will account for a good portion of the 100k (along with Aaron Grimes)

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on January 06, 2024, 08:40:28 PM
elks also released a big contract in Steve Dunbar (200k+)  so that will account for a good portion of the 100k (along with Aaron Grimes)

Grimes never made it off the 6 game IR so that's no SMS help. Shedding Dunbar might account for the $100K needed to pay releasing Cornelius.

In any case, MBT will be a higher SMS hit adding to the cost of the SMS for QB's.

I expect a few other vets will be released or not re-signed. Arceneaux, Gainey, Purifoy and Leonard come to mind. It's a combination of high SMS costs and need to upgrade across the board. Even Lewis could be a casualty.

Eks might see Schoen as a better alternative and a lower cost to Lewis? Just an example.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

You guys talk like Shoen was this super star.  Which in Winnipeg he was.  However, being a number one, and getting the best cover guy on him, does he excell as much?

In Winnipeg, he had four other guys that took turns taking the heat off each other.

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on January 07, 2024, 12:52:44 AM
You guys talk like Shoen was this super star.  Which in Winnipeg he was.  However, being a number one, and getting the best cover guy on him, does he excell as much?

In Winnipeg, he had four other guys that took turns taking the heat off each other.

All true. Winnipeg might be his best fit and that will determine his SMS value. Obviously it will still be a good sized raise but knowing what our limit is depends on when any re-signing takes place.

Those that sign earlier, to some degree, dictate how much is left for those that sign later as free agency nears.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: DM83 on January 07, 2024, 12:52:44 AM

Disagree, Schoen has multiple things going for him, he is in excellent physical condition and has a great work ethic, he runs every route full out even if he knows he's not the primary receiver.  He's played 1-1/2 of his two seasons without Lawler taking any of the attention off him and he's led the league in multiple receiving categories.  Not sure how much more you can expect from a receiver other than playing at the top of his game, every game.

Nic16

Quote from: dd on January 06, 2024, 05:57:43 PM
Ottawa and Hamilton have got to seriously take a run at signing DB, same with Saskatchewan. Both Masoli, Harris and BLM are aging and coming off of injuries and I don't like their odds of staying healthy in 2024. They would be smart to get Brown under contract and step in when the time comes which may be sooner than most think.

The Riders new OC has already announced their intention to go with Harris - who is very well paid. Now, whether they stick to that plan is up for debate. That said, with a new coaching staff they are not in the best position to take a gamble on Brown.

Hamilton could consider Brown, but with Powell & Shiltz behind Mitchell they may be content.

This leaves Ott as the big player for Brown. I highly doubt they would throw big money at him, but I could see an offer 6 figures larger than what the BB could offer.

Brown has been a real nice fit behind ZC, and it would suck to lose him after 2 years of development. Unless of course Walters has the Strev card in his hand.

Nic16

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on January 07, 2024, 08:24:16 PM
Disagree, Schoen has multiple things going for him, he is in excellent physical condition and has a great work ethic, he runs every route full out even if he knows he's not the primary receiver.  He's played 1-1/2 of his two seasons without Lawler taking any of the attention off him and he's led the league in multiple receiving categories.  Not sure how much more you can expect from a receiver other than playing at the top of his game, every game.

Agreed. Schoen has become a fan favourite for good reason. He will continue to put up big numbers over his CFL career.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Nic16 on January 07, 2024, 08:28:06 PM
The Riders new OC has already announced their intention to go with Harris - who is very well paid. Now, whether they stick to that plan is up for debate. That said, with a new coaching staff they are not in the best position to take a gamble on Brown.

Hamilton could consider Brown, but with Powell & Shiltz behind Mitchell they may be content.

This leaves Ott as the big player for Brown. I highly doubt they would throw big money at him, but I could see an offer 6 figures larger than what the BB could offer.

Brown has been a real nice fit behind ZC, and it would suck to lose him after 2 years of development. Unless of course Walters has the Strev card in his hand.

I'd be surprised if Shiltz didn't move on to a better opportunity in FA, with BLM and Powell under contract Ti-Cats are well set for the future at a reasonable price.  I think Schiltz will get plenty of attention from teams looking for a solid #2 option, which includes almost every team.

dd

Quote from: Nic16 on January 07, 2024, 08:28:06 PM

Teams hooking their wagon to an old injury prone vet with no proven backup in place are destined for failure. Harris gets hurt, Riders go to last place in a heartbeat. Masoli gets hurt Ottawa will remain bottom in the east. Hamilton going with Powell or Schultz and BLM will do the same thing they did this year and that?s make the playoffs and get easily tossed to the sideline.

Brown could start start for any 1 of those 3 teams and move them up the competitiveness scale and standings. Stay status quo and they?ll stay exactly where they?re at- bottom third of the league.

Pete

likely some team will sign Brown in the 225-300k range.
teams with low qb salaries include Ottawa with Crum, Hamilton with BLM and Powers, BC with Evans retired. I doubt if we could go over 150k