MBT / Edmonton rumours

Started by theaardvark, December 24, 2023, 07:59:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Would be a huge mistake for MBT, and Edm.

Unless someone is asking to take Ford in a trade for a big return, this makes zero sense.

Having Cornelius, MBT and Ford under contract is not optimal GMing. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

I don?t really know what?s going on with MBT. I don?t know if he?s going to just sign with any team. He seemed quite ready to retire a year ago, might just be a case of the perfect situation or nothing.

That said, why would it be a bad move for Edmonton? They are a QB away from really competing.
My wife is amazing!

dd

Quote from: theaardvark on December 24, 2023, 07:59:44 PM
Would be a huge mistake for MBT, and Edm.

Unless someone is asking to take Ford in a trade for a big return, this makes zero sense.

Having Cornelius, MBT and Ford under contract is not optimal GMing. 
If elks sign MBT, I?d outright cut Cornelius, start MBT and then have Ford come in on second and short and run a high tempo offense to catch the D off guard. I can see it working

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on December 24, 2023, 10:44:02 PM
If elks sign MBT, I?d outright cut Cornelius, start MBT and then have Ford come in on second and short and run a high tempo offense to catch the D off guard. I can see it working

I agree.  But I think Corney is on some sort of guaranteed contract?  So even if cut he'll still cost them?

MBT will probably win you more games than Ford.  Ford has the same limitation as Cody: can't (reliably) throw deep.  You can still win games, but the D's don't have to take the deep threat seriously and can undercut every route.  I still want Ford to stay on the radar, but to me he needs more dev.

Glad to see MBT is still nuts though.  I don't think he has any idea what he's doing.  Probably wakes up a throws at a dartboard each morning to see what wacky decision he'll make that day.  But hey, I guess it's working for him, as he has a GC ring and seems contented in general.
Never go full Rider!

bluebeard

MBT, I believe, did not retire and played in the USFL last season.  He did very well and after his team got bounced from the playoffs he asked for his release.  Seems he realized that the league and the XFL are in trouble and may evem fold if their merger does not go through as planned.  Now he wants back in the CFL.

dd

I hope he comes back. Hamilton, Ottawa and Edmonton all need a legit #1 Qb to make them competitive.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on December 26, 2023, 03:18:50 PM
I hope he comes back. Hamilton, Ottawa and Edmonton all need a legit #1 Qb to make them competitive.

If he does come back, that makes it just that much easier to keep Dru...
Never go full Rider!

Pete

If they dont sign Mbt I wonder if Masoli would be an option?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Pete on December 27, 2023, 02:22:16 PM
If they dont sign Mbt I wonder if Masoli would be an option?

Doubt it, Masoli likely misses half the season, can't see Jones having any interest in him.

dd

Hamilton made it pretty clear they are moving on from BLM and rightfully so, trouble is, nobody they had last year is worth starting. If I was them, I?d make a play for MBT and amp up the rivalry with the Argos.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: dd on December 27, 2023, 11:09:07 PM
Hamilton made it pretty clear they are moving on from BLM and rightfully so, trouble is, nobody they had last year is worth starting. If I was them, I?d make a play for MBT and amp up the rivalry with the Argos.

I'll take your word for HAM/BLM... but like other teams wanting to move on, aren't they stuck with the new partially-guaranteed vet contract of the old QB?  I have no idea of the amounts or rules involved, but even if they have to pay half, that's a lot of SMS$.  Wouldn't it be better to just keep BLM around as an overpaid backup until his contract is up?
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on December 27, 2023, 11:09:07 PM

Evidence?  I watched the Scott Milanovich press conference at the time he was hired and he was not definitive on their QB situation.

dd

In their playoff game, they elected to go with Powell, who sucked big time, and let BLM sit on the sidelines and afterwards, BLM more or less stated that he'd like to remain in Hamilton but if he isn't going to play, he'll move on. Whether he does or not remains to be seen, but if it was a choice between MBT and BLM, I'd go with McLeod all the way, the guy's got an arm, BLM doesn't.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on December 28, 2023, 05:23:33 PM
In their playoff game, they elected to go with Powell, who sucked big time, and let BLM sit on the sidelines and afterwards, BLM more or less stated that he'd like to remain in Hamilton but if he isn't going to play, he'll move on. Whether he does or not remains to be seen, but if it was a choice between MBT and BLM, I'd go with McLeod all the way, the guy's got an arm, BLM doesn't.

It was Shiltz not Powell, if you're trying to present an argument at least get the details right.

Pete

the point is BLM is done.
(59% completion rate ly, 67.5 efficiency, hello tsn panel)