Bombers Off Season

Started by bwiser, November 20, 2023, 03:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dd

Absolutely money would be better spent on Schoen, no question ther and I d argue it would be better spent retaining Bailey and BOO. He was a bust in my books and at $300 k I d out right cut him if he didn?t agree to a new contract. And that?s the problem when these guys who have 1 decent year, they command the big dollars and then go and lay a giant egg. He did nothing in Edmonton and nothing really more than Demski schoen or Bailey yet he gets the big cheese!?! I don?t think so buh bye

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: dd on November 23, 2023, 12:10:28 AM
I don't think Bailey and BOO would break the bank...my question is why resign Lawler, big ticket salary and average production...
Average production?   He had 901 yards in only 12 games, averaging 75 yds per game which is 2nd highest in the league just behind Schoen who averaged 76 YPG!    He was 12th overall just behind Demski who played 4 more games.    If you take his average YPG and project that to 18 games he would have been first overall.   He's an elite receiver and a gamer who gets after it as MOS would say!   Somehow we need to sign both Schoen and Lawler which means either Bailey or Woli are likely on the bubble.   We thought Bailey was gone last season after we signed Lawler, however he took a steep pay cut to sign with us....mainly because he wanted another shot at a cup and he really likes our locker room and our fans.
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: dd on November 23, 2023, 01:40:25 AM
Absolutely money would be better spent on Schoen, no question ther and I d argue it would be better spent retaining Bailey and BOO. He was a bust in my books and at $300 k I d out right cut him if he didn?t agree to a new contract. And that?s the problem when these guys who have 1 decent year, they command the big dollars and then go and lay a giant egg. He did nothing in Edmonton and nothing really more than Demski schoen or Bailey yet he gets the big cheese!?! I don?t think so buh bye

That's an insane price to pay for any receiver, not sure what Walters was thinking but now he's gotta pay Schoen a similar amount, which is almost impossible.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 23, 2023, 03:03:45 AM
That's an insane price to pay for any receiver, not sure what Walters was thinking but now he's gotta pay Schoen a similar amount, which is almost impossible.
You may well be right....Dalton was Zach's go to receiver however Kenny is elite as well.   Dalton will be looking for well north of 200K as will Kenny.   
Bomber fan for life

theaardvark

Lawler was $300k in Edm, but took less here...we can afford some upgrades, will lose some players, this team may look very different next year.  Like every year until now.  Our scouts bring in good players, we get a few good years out of them, and someone else pays them what they earn.  And we bring more in.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on November 23, 2023, 04:43:31 AM
Lawler was $300k in Edm, but took less here...we can afford some upgrades, will lose some players, this team may look very different next year.  Like every year until now.  Our scouts bring in good players, we get a few good years out of them, and someone else pays them what they earn.  And we bring more in.

He took less for this season, but slides back up for 2024.

With raises demanded for Brady and Dalton, something has to give somewhere. Gonna need our scouts to do a lot more heavy lifting than this past year, because we'll need some rookie minimum contracts to displace some vets.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on November 23, 2023, 11:29:41 AM
He took less for this season, but slides back up for 2024.

With raises demanded for Brady and Dalton, something has to give somewhere. Gonna need our scouts to do a lot more heavy lifting than this past year, because we'll need some rookie minimum contracts to displace some vets.

Rookies in any position are rarely good enough to start their first year, although receivers catch on quicker than most, once in a blue moon they stumble upon a rookie as talented and as smart as Schoen.  Good chance they bring Alston back next year and maybe even Agudosi if Schoen leaves.

Jesse

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 23, 2023, 03:33:51 PM
Rookies in any position are rarely good enough to start their first year, although receivers catch on quicker than most, once in a blue moon they stumble upon a rookie as talented and as smart as Schoen.  Good chance they bring Alston back next year and maybe even Agudosi if Schoen leaves.

Yes, the normal transition would have been to see a guy get some playing time at the end of this year and have his role expanded next year. Unless McCrea is that guy (doesn't seem like it), we kind of missed the boat on that opportunity.

There were a few eye brow-raising scouting/roster issues this past year.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on November 23, 2023, 03:37:51 PM
Yes, the normal transition would have been to see a guy get some playing time at the end of this year and have his role expanded next year. Unless McCrea is that guy (doesn't seem like it), we kind of missed the boat on that opportunity.

There were a few eye brow-raising scouting/roster issues this past year.

I'm guessing it's time to move on from McCrae. Seriously doubt Agudosi is brought back.  We'll see a dozen rookie receivers brought in for TC. Some will last for only a couple of days and few will make it through TC to be added to the PR.

Depending on whether we lose any or our starters, we may not see any rookie receivers make the game day roster. Who knows. Alston could be the next Schoen or Lawler. I've never seen him practice but a few 2nd year rookies take that next step to become stars.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

dd

Quote from: Pete on November 23, 2023, 12:44:05 AM
Lawler is signed for 2024 at 300k. not sure how much if any is guaranteed, but it is a good question if the money wouldn't be better spent with Schoen, likely we could save 100k for elsewhere . Its unlikely we could sign both of them.
However thuis hasnt been the M. O.  of this team to cut signed players
then trade him if it means keeping Schoen, we just can't afford to lose him to FA

Lincoln Locomotive

We are definitely in a conundrum salary cap wise as we managed to get 2 all-star seasons from Dalton in his rookie years at entry level pay.    That's why we were able to sign Lawler and albeit he took a pay cut, he was still our highest paid receiver.   Brady and Johnny were both signed for 120K and Brady will demand upwards of 200K IF he doesn't make it in the NFL and IF the Bombers keep the "right corp of players" according to Brady.

It's painfully obvious that we likely can't keep all three and Walters should be working on next season now instead of dealing with his own contract,   So yeah, we could look a lot different next season.....
Bomber fan for life

buckzumhoff

McRae is a very good player. Doesn't get the ball thrown much. But when they need a first down he usually got it.  We underused alot of players on the practice roster

Blue In BC

Quote from: Lincoln Locomotive on November 24, 2023, 05:17:20 PM
We are definitely in a conundrum salary cap wise as we managed to get 2 all-star seasons from Dalton in his rookie years at entry level pay.    That's why we were able to sign Lawler and albeit he took a pay cut, he was still our highest paid receiver.   Brady and Johnny were both signed for 120K and Brady will demand upwards of 200K IF he doesn't make it in the NFL and IF the Bombers keep the "right corp of players" according to Brady.

It's painfully obvious that we likely can't keep all three and Walters should be working on next season now instead of dealing with his own contract,   So yeah, we could look a lot different next season.....

The highest paid RB earned $170K. As a Canadian I'd think Oliveria should get about $190K. More than that is potentially an issue. Build in another $10K-$30K for games paid and or certain goal achievements.

Canadian players are worth more but even then there needs to be a limit.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: buckzumhoff on November 24, 2023, 05:31:59 PM
McRae is a very good player. Doesn't get the ball thrown much. But when they need a first down he usually got it.  We underused alot of players on the practice roster

I like McCrae but still think it's time to move on or at least have significant competition. Unless we lose Oliveria ( and Augustine ) and he has a good chance to become the starter. If he's only only to be a DI does deserve a raise, if so how much compared to a younger, less expensive player with higher upside?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 24, 2023, 05:40:16 PM
The highest paid RB earned $170K. As a Canadian I'd think Oliveria should get about $190K. More than that is potentially an issue. Build in another $10K-$30K for games paid and or certain goal achievements.

Canadian players are worth more but even then there needs to be a limit.

I'd like to see him in the 180k range.
My wife is amazing!