Hometown boy playing for his hometown team as the starting running back.

Started by ModAdmin, November 15, 2023, 09:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Daddy

I'm not sure why we are looking at plan 4,5,6 right now.  Brady may, MAY try his luck in the NFL.  If he does, I truly wish him all the best and hope he can tear it up there.

We've got Augustine.  He's the best Canadian running back NOT starting in the cfl.  And if Brady does go south, JA will then be the best Canadian RB, and really has the potential to be the best in the league.

Seriously - Augustine is just waiting for his chance.  If Brady goes south, we've got the best backup waiting.  This shows the wisdom in not losing either in favor of keeping AH.  Harris means a lot to our team, it was just the right decision to go forward with BO and JA instead.

Now we just keep making the right decisions.

Jesse

Quote from: Big Daddy on November 21, 2023, 03:39:06 AM
I'm not sure why we are looking at plan 4,5,6 right now.  Brady may, MAY try his luck in the NFL.  If he does, I truly wish him all the best and hope he can tear it up there.

We've got Augustine.  He's the best Canadian running back NOT starting in the cfl.  And if Brady does go south, JA will then be the best Canadian RB, and really has the potential to be the best in the league.

Seriously - Augustine is just waiting for his chance.  If Brady goes south, we've got the best backup waiting.  This shows the wisdom in not losing either in favor of keeping AH.  Harris means a lot to our team, it was just the right decision to go forward with BO and JA instead.

I think it's very clear that this team does not see JA in that role,at all.

He never gets any playing time unless it's the last few minutes of a blow out. Last year, Brady fell down at first contact for half of the season and JA still didn't get any reps.
My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Jesse on November 21, 2023, 11:55:04 AM

He never gets any playing time unless it's the last few minutes of a blow out. Last year, Brady fell down at first contact for half of the season and JA still didn't get any reps.

Johnny is more of a scat back than a work horse and that only works well some of the time, as any team that has not upgraded to a bruising back should realize by now.  BC, Sask. Ottawa and Hamilton do not have running games they can rely on that compliment their passing game.

dd

Quote from: Jesse on November 21, 2023, 11:55:04 AM

Ya, I just don't understand this at all. Anytime I've seen JA run, he's more than faired well, yet, they don't give him any amount of reps. I kinda hope Brady does go south to try his NFL luck and JA can show us what he's made of, as I think he'll shine brightly.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Big Daddy on November 21, 2023, 03:39:06 AM

Well said and if Brady does return later in the season, we will still need someone to back him up.   Not exactly sure who that will be....hopefully a Canadian however they aren't growing on trees.
Bomber fan for life

TecnoGenius

Johnny is good, and I think fans like him.  But he's basically Brady-lite: he'll get what Brady will get, minus 2-3 yards each carry.  That makes the up-the-gut bruiser game plan harder for our O.

I think Johnny would get more Y and TDs than Brady if/when he does break out beyond the LBers, but that's a 1-ever-15-rushes scenario, and wouldn't make up for the weaker every-down lower yardage.

Would he be enough to roll with until Brady returns from an NFL look-see?  Maybe, but we'd certainly pass more on 1st down then.  The plan would have to adjust, and may not feel right to everyone who's used to our run-first team.
Never go full Rider!

dd

I would see us using JA on passes out of the backfield where he can use his speed and shiftiness to his advantage. Ya, he?s not the brawler up the middle type, but he s definitely a threat out in space

Big Daddy

Anyone else just a little disappointed with what was reported in the Sun today with Brady?  My impression is that he wants to try the nfl - fair enough, and says he wants to be here if not. 

"I want to be in Winnipeg. That being said, you never really know what's going to happen when you're a free agent. The last two seasons that I put together were good, good enough to get what I deserve. So we'll see."

Get what I deserve?  Okay he's not wrong, it's just not what you say if you want to be back and have any concern about what the fans will think.

"You never really know but I definitely want to be here if they bring the right core group back together."

That's a big caveat about wanting to be here IF they bring the right core group together.  Maybe I'm wrong, it just sounds a bit like someone who values himself more than the team.

Not unlike when AH left. 

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Big Daddy on November 22, 2023, 02:15:54 AM
Anyone else just a little disappointed with what was reported in the Sun today with Brady?  My impression is that he wants to try the nfl - fair enough, and says he wants to be here if not. 

"I want to be in Winnipeg. That being said, you never really know what's going to happen when you're a free agent. The last two seasons that I put together were good, good enough to get what I deserve. So we'll see."

Get what I deserve?  Okay he's not wrong, it's just not what you say if you want to be back and have any concern about what the fans will think.

"You never really know but I definitely want to be here if they bring the right core group back together."

That's a big caveat about wanting to be here IF they bring the right core group together.  Maybe I'm wrong, it just sounds a bit like someone who values himself more than the team.

Not unlike when AH left. 
Not loving his choice of words but that maybe is not be his specialty. It does sounded oddly like what Harris said.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Jesse

Not unlike when AH left. 

It definitely raised my eyebrow as well, but keep in mind he signed this deal prior to becoming a starter and makes the same amount that Johnny Augustine does.

I think he just means he?s outplayed his contract and deserves a new one.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

I'll chalk it up to unfortunate wording for now.

Players tend to be underpaid while rising up the ladder, and then being overpaid as they fall down the hill.  It's the nature of the game.  You need to prove your deserve the payday before you get it.  If you're on a 2 year contract, which isn't abnormal for unproven players, then you may have to put in 1-2 seasons being underpaid.  Worse yet, the better you are compared to expectations, the more you are "punished" by earning much less than your worth.

Brady will get his payday, and he has earned it, WFC will be fair.  No one is asking him to play for $120k now.  Schoen is in the exact same boat, but so far has been more quiet about it.  Smart man.

Is it just me, or is Schoen being up for contract going to help us get Lawler at a lower price for 2024?  No way we afford both at market rate.  But if you point out the reality to both, maybe you get each at 60k under asking.  That could possibly be affordable.  Maybe.  If Lawler is still under contract with a guaranteed component, and won't budge on a renegotiation, then in all likelihood Schoen will walk.  Then we have to find the next Schoen.
Never go full Rider!

wpg#1

Not unlike when AH left. 

He's a free agent ... what else is he going to say ? He's not going to say I'll sign here for whatever they offer me. He's just putting it out there that he wants to be paid fairly and there are possibly options. It's a game, he's just playing the game. In amongst the words, he said he'd like to be back here. My guess is that's really his first choice regardless what he says. Let's let it play out, and see what happens.
GO BLUE BOMBERS GO !
COOL BEANS !

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Jesse on November 22, 2023, 02:56:55 AM
It definitely raised my eyebrow as well, but keep in mind he signed this deal prior to becoming a starter and makes the same amount that Johnny Augustine does.

I think he just means he?s outplayed his contract and deserves a new one.

He absolutely deserves a shiny new contract. He's more than earned it.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず

TBURGESS

Sounds like a man who knows what he's worth to me.

Brady O is the best RB in the league and he's Canadian. He's going to double his salary next year if he's in the CFL.
Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.

Blue In BC

Quote from: TBURGESS on November 22, 2023, 01:46:18 PM
Sounds like a man who knows what he's worth to me.

Brady O is the best RB in the league and he's Canadian. He's going to double his salary next year if he's in the CFL.

He should get about another $100K over his current deal.
2019 Grey Cup Champions