Hometown boy playing for his hometown team as the starting running back.

Started by ModAdmin, November 15, 2023, 09:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waffler

What I did think was funny but a low blow was when they asked Lawler if he had any advice for free agents. He said "don't go to Edmonton".
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

J5V

Quote from: Waffler on November 18, 2023, 12:18:56 AM
What I did think was funny but a low blow was when they asked Lawler if he had any advice for free agents. He said "don't go to Edmonton".
LMAO!
Go Bombers!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 17, 2023, 08:49:38 PM
"I had an interesting exchange with Oliveira this week about his future. He's on an expiring contract and while he loves his time in Winnipeg and can't imagine playing anywhere else in the CFL, his plan is to pursue the NFL next season. While that would be an awesome opportunity for Oliveira, what a loss that would be for Winnipeg, seeing how much he does for his home province both on and off the field."

Ugh.  Brady is great, he really is.  He's AH33's level for sure.  But AH never got an NFL look.  I don't think Cornish ever got an NFL look.  Maybe he's believing his own hype?  NFL is a whole different world for RBs.  And they're so common and so throw-away.

How much of Brady's success is our OL?  Our scheme?  Our run-first philosophy?  Would Brady have had even 1000 had he played for BC or MTL or SSK?

I guess he can try, but best case is he's PR'd somewhere and then likely comes back mid-season, screwing the Bombers' season up in the meantime... If he wants a headstart on NFL, then he should show us with a massive can't-stop-me performance against a good, big front 7 in the GC.
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

I was disappointed to hear Brady wants to hold off resigning here to go tryout the NFL.
Tecno is right RBs are so throw away treatment.
I do not understand some of these players point of views.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on November 19, 2023, 12:13:06 AM
I was disappointed to hear Brady wants to hold off resigning here to go tryout the NFL.
Tecno is right RBs are so throw away treatment.
I do not understand some of these players point of views.
agree with both you and Techno.....good running backs  are a disposable commodity in the NFL....I was under the impression he would be a Bomber for life.....so Im putting a hold on getting that 4th jersey until I know where he ends up playing.    The three signed jerseys I have were from players that dedicated their careers to one pro team, an admiral yet rare trait in this day and age.    Perhaps I'm old school when it comes to player loyalty however that's how I feel.   I was preparing to get AH33's autograph on a jersey however he left for greener pastures.....the same holds true for Brady.    I believe Techno is right about our O-Line paving the way for quite a few of those 1500+ yards....yet he believes in himself enough to give the NFL a shot.    I guess you can't really blame him however I can't help but feeling somewhat disappointed at the same time.
Bomber fan for life

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 19, 2023, 12:07:00 AM
Ugh.  Brady is great, he really is.  He's AH33's level for sure.  But AH never got an NFL look.  I don't think Cornish ever got an NFL look.  Maybe he's believing his own hype?  NFL is a whole different world for RBs.  And they're so common and so throw-away.

How much of Brady's success is our OL?  Our scheme?  Our run-first philosophy?  Would Brady have had even 1000 had he played for BC or MTL or SSK?

I guess he can try, but best case is he's PR'd somewhere and then likely comes back mid-season, screwing the Bombers' season up in the meantime... If he wants a headstart on NFL, then he should show us with a massive can't-stop-me performance against a good, big front 7 in the GC.

The end of this season could be the point Brady sidetracks and becomes a footnote in Bomber history, and if so any comparison to Harris and legendary status ends well short.  As far as I can recall he's been a backup on 2 GC winners, but never carried the mail in either of those victories.

Lincoln Locomotive

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on November 19, 2023, 03:16:50 AM
The end of this season could be the point Brady sidetracks and becomes a footnote in Bomber history, and if so any comparison to Harris ends well short.  As far as I can recall he's been a backup on 2 GC winners, but never carried the mail in those victories.
I hope you're wrong about this however if he has his heart set on the NFL then that's where he might and make a name for himself.    Maybe someone can talk to him.....someone like WJ who wants to be in Winnipeg because that's where he's loved.    The NFL is a big attraction for many players however few make it and really, as good as Brady has become in such a short time, I don't think he will make it down there.    There are just too many good backs to run up against.    That being said, one cannot deny his ambition and perhaps he will come back to the Peg after being cut.....which I would bet on.   
Bomber fan for life

GOLDMEMBER

I just ordered I new Brady jersey too. Ugh!
Oh well hope for the best I guess.

He already had one catastrophic injury now he plans on trying to take off?

I do not think he is fast enough for the NFL. Might be undersized for traditional power back as well. He is kinda a tweener RB style.

If he goes down there and makes squad, he will just toil on practice rosters. I can?t see this happening given his metrics.

Blue In BC

Technically he'll be one of our potential free agents. So that allows him a longer period to try and make an NFL roster. That in itself could make him unavailable for a long part of the season. That's a risk he may be willing to take. IDK.

We always wish our players well in making the NFL but it would be a loss for the Bombers if this happens.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Blue In BC on November 19, 2023, 02:34:00 PM
Technically he'll be one of our potential free agents. So that allows him a longer period to try and make an NFL roster. That in itself could make him unavailable for a long part of the season. That's a risk he may be willing to take. IDK.

We always wish our players well in making the NFL but it would be a loss for the Bombers if this happens.
Still fans do not need to like it.

TecnoGenius

If he does go down for the NFL look-see, then to start '24 do we roll with Johnny, betting on a mid-season Brady return?  Or do we go out and find another franchise guy?

I don't see any current NAT RB that can live up to AH/BO caliber.  I don't see any in the pipeline.  So that would mean IMP RB, which we haven't done a looong time.  Maybe try to get Butler?  Then dress a NAT FB instead of Jackson... problem solved?
Never go full Rider!

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: TecnoGenius on November 19, 2023, 02:53:26 PM
If he does go down for the NFL look-see, then to start '24 do we roll with Johnny, betting on a mid-season Brady return?  Or do we go out and find another franchise guy?

I don't see any current NAT RB that can live up to AH/BO caliber.  I don't see any in the pipeline.  So that would mean IMP RB, which we haven't done a looong time.  Maybe try to get Butler?  Then dress a NAT FB instead of Jackson... problem solved?
Go draft another good Canadian RB if available.

J5V

In KW we trust! He hasn't let us down yet!
Go Bombers!

Lincoln Locomotive

too bad this comes out now....legacies are built on Grey Cup performances and wins none of which Brady has acquired in his tenure with the Bombers.    If he decides to stay the Bombers will up his contract significantly especially since he was nominated MOP for the west and having a 2000+ combined yards season. 

That's  YTBD,    He would make a good living playing his entire career with us and would certainly have his number up on the ring of honour.   He would be much loved in his home town and I'm still baffled at why he would sacrifice all of that for a shot at the NFL?    He seemed like such a rational and humble person.   I mean it was early last season where in his first 6 games we were all calling for the Bombers to play Johnny instead of Brady and then he found his game and managed to crack 1000 yards on his last regular season carry.   

If he does an extended tryout session down in the US next season it will disrupt the Bombers season,  especially if he's cut and does return to Winnipeg.    I'm sure in his own mind he's not thinking about not making it, because it seems that's the way he rolls.   He has said numerous times this season that he feels he has unlimited potential to become even better than he is now, so the Bombers will undoubtedly release him and wish him well should he decide to pursue his ambitions.   IMHO it will be a Titanic mistake for him however he might prove us all wrong....however I'm not betting on that happening.
Bomber fan for life

Jesse

I would find a random import, definitely wouldn't spend money on FA for a guy.
My wife is amazing!