He SEALS the deal

Started by theaardvark, August 25, 2023, 04:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjrocksmb

Quote from: theaardvark on August 27, 2023, 08:23:46 PM
But is Jackson better than you backing up at those spots? 

Hence my comments about "Is 80% at three spots better than 85% at one?"
The I could backup comment is a little much.  Your math checks out imo. 

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on August 27, 2023, 08:23:46 PM
But is Jackson better than you backing up at those spots? 

Hence my comments about "Is 80% at three spots better than 85% at one?"

Well I'm 74 so sure he'd be better. When I was 30 I'd say possibly not. My point is that where is he actually effective or even most effective?  I'm open to someone showing a few clips from games.

For the sake of responding to PJ: I played in the touch league in Vancouver for 15 - 20 years. Maybe 100 games. In that time I played against current and future CFL players. I also played against 1 NFL 6 year veteran receiver.

Jim Young, Mike Strickland ( RB ), Mike Strickand ( MLB ), Pete Ohler QB ( caught a pass from him ), Walt Passaglia, receiver, Mark McDonald, Lorne Richardson.  A couple of those guys are in the Hall of Fame.

In 1990 ( IIRC the right year ) I played on a team with Vince Danielson ( all star SB ) and Shawn Graham ( Bomber and Lions in early 1990's ). Another player on that team was the DC for Vancouver Tech.

In the winter probably played 100 games ( nearly every Sunday ). Full contact, no equipment. Played several games against Dan Huckluck who was still playing FB for the Lions. And yes, I did tackle him several times and have the cleat marks to prove it. 

A funny bit, sort of playing against Dan Huckluck. I hit one of their receivers on the sideline so hard ( didn't mean to hit him that hard ) but he went to the hospital. Their team went home. Playing with no equipment can be painful.

So, I have caught a pass from a QB that threw a TD in a Grey Cup and I have tackled a CFL FB and I've had to cover Jim Young and other CFL receivers.

Does he knock down blockers on coverage or returns? He hasn't recorded an actual stat. He's not in the 1st wave and seems to get washed out quickly.

On defence his reps are in garbage time. As the other site mentioned, he's not quick off the ball and is a flat footed bull rusher with little success. No stats recorded.

He does get a few reps on offence as a blocker but I've only noticed him a significant block once. One reception for 1 yard in garbage time.

So I'm in the show something he can hang his hat on. For those that go to games perhaps more can be seen than on TV. On TV you can't always see what each player is doing or even when he goes on the field.

I've asked a few times: How many reps is he getting in any category. That might be useful along with some video " highlights ".
2019 Grey Cup Champions

RebusRankin

Quote from: theaardvark on August 27, 2023, 06:10:19 PM
Augustine does yeoman's work on teams, and is a ratio pinch sub for BO20.  He will be on the roster ahead of McCrae, IMHO.

Jackson does back up at a lot of positions, which when you have a limited number of DA's is important.  A backup is never supposed to play every down, so having a guy at 80% of 3 spots vs. a guy that is 85% of 1 spot, I know who I'm dressing.  

Haba vs. Jackson, that's not really the trade off.  When Haba becomes healthy, he dresses as part of rotation, not as a "backup".  We should dress 7 DL when possible.

If Jackson had a different passport, he's on this roster for as long as he wants.  That's a given.

As a American, he's in that gray area, and there are usually Nats that can backup at LS, FB and DE, so it is harder to dress an American for that purpose.  But, we really don't have a backup LS or DE, so he gives something we don't otherwise have, in one roster spot.    

Bennett is a back up DE. He takes regular rotational reps. He's recorded some tackles and we've seen some pressures.

Blue In BC

Quote from: RebusRankin on August 27, 2023, 09:46:01 PM
Bennett is a back up DE. He takes regular rotational reps. He's recorded some tackles and we've seen some pressures.

Bennett seems to be improving and he was our 1st choice in the draft @ # 8 this year.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

bunker

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 27, 2023, 09:07:23 PM
Well I'm 74 so sure he'd be better. When I was 30 I'd say possibly not. My point is that where is he actually effective or even most effective?  I'm open to someone showing a few clips from games.

For the sake of responding to PJ: I played in the touch league in Vancouver for 15 - 20 years. Maybe 100 games. In that time I played against current and future CFL players. I also played against 1 NFL 6 year veteran receiver.

Jim Young, Mike Strickland ( RB ), Mike Strickand ( MLB ), Pete Ohler QB ( caught a pass from him ), Walt Passaglia, receiver, Mark McDonald, Lorne Richardson.  A couple of those guys are in the Hall of Fame.

In 1990 ( IIRC the right year ) I played on a team with Vince Danielson ( all star SB ) and Shawn Graham ( Bomber and Lions in early 1990's ). Another player on that team was the DC for Vancouver Tech.

In the winter probably played 100 games ( nearly every Sunday ). Full contact, no equipment. Played several games against Dan Huckluck who was still playing FB for the Lions. And yes, I did tackle him several times and have the cleat marks to prove it. 

A funny bit, sort of playing against Dan Huckluck. I hit one of their receivers on the sideline so hard ( didn't mean to hit him that hard ) but he went to the hospital. Their team went home. Playing with no equipment can be painful.

So, I have caught a pass from a QB that threw a TD in a Grey Cup and I have tackled a CFL FB and I've had to cover Jim Young and other CFL receivers.

Does he knock down blockers on coverage or returns? He hasn't recorded an actual stat. He's not in the 1st wave and seems to get washed out quickly.

On defence his reps are in garbage time. As the other site mentioned, he's not quick off the ball and is a flat footed bull rusher with little success. No stats recorded.

He does get a few reps on offence as a blocker but I've only noticed him a significant block once. One reception for 1 yard in garbage time.

So I'm in the show something he can hang his hat on. For those that go to games perhaps more can be seen than on TV. On TV you can't always see what each player is doing or even when he goes on the field.

I've asked a few times: How many reps is he getting in any category. That might be useful along with some video " highlights ".

I rewatched one game focusing on Jackson only. It was pretty tedious and I won't be doing it again. Based on that one game, his blocking seemed decent, his play on special teams nothing special. Beyond that, I think its almost impossible to objectively grade him, because you'd have to watch every one of his plays, and know what his assignment is.

But they clearly have some offensive sets where a blocker/FB sets up one yard behind the line of scrimmage, outside the tackle, usually the left tackle. These are often jumbo sets where an additional O-line man is also in, positioned outside the left tackle. So Buck has clearly diagrammed some plays that require a FB in the blocking scheme, and as long as we run these sets as a main part of our offence (even if its for only 5-7 plays a game), it looks like a FB will be on the roster, and until/if Miller is back, it looks like that's going to be Jackson.

Blue In BC

Haba, Hansen and Garbutt are nearly identical size to Jackson. IIRC Jackson is new to playing FB and FB is just a title anyway. If you're going to convert a DE to FB those other guys could learn that role as well.

Hansen in particular is fearless. Haba knows how to shed or sustain blocks and he's quick. The downside is Hansen and Haba are currently injured.

Who would currently be our back up FB?
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

Nice resume blue?.the good old days.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 27, 2023, 10:24:14 PM
Haba, Hansen and Garbutt are nearly identical size to Jackson. IIRC Jackson is new to playing FB and FB is just a title anyway. If you're going to convert a DE to FB those other guys could learn that role as well.

Hansen in particular is fearless. Haba knows how to shed or sustain blocks and he's quick. The downside is Hansen and Haba are currently injured.

Good question, no idea who is our 3rd string FB.  Wade Miller? Lol

Thanks bunker for putting that work in.   Does sound boring to do!  I won't be able to watch the next game so will be interesting to see how much we used him.

Blue In BC

Quote from: DM83 on August 27, 2023, 10:33:26 PM
Nice resume blue?.the good old days.

I've got the x-ray history to back that up. lol

I never weighed more than 160 lbs @ 5'11" in those days. We played tackle in the winter to keep warmer. But I used to limp all week after playing and then was ready to go the following Sunday.

Ironically I broke my right wrist in a Touch league practice. It was a week after separating the shoulder on the same side. I continued to practice and threw my right arm up to knock down a pass and then figured it was time to go get a cast.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 27, 2023, 10:35:34 PM
Good question, no idea who is our 3rd string FB.  Wade Miller? Lol

Thanks bunker for putting that work in.   Does sound boring to do!  I won't be able to watch the next game so will be interesting to see how much we used him.

PVR. 
2019 Grey Cup Champions

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bunker on August 27, 2023, 06:53:01 PM
Its great that Jackson can be a back-up long snapper, but that's pretty low on my priority list for a DA. When''s the last time our long snapper was injured in a game?

Rempel getting trucked and concussed, and ushered in the Rempel Rule that you can't truck the LS.  I think Thomas Miles was our backup LS and finished the game and subsequent weeks.

That's not that long ago.  I does pay to have at least 1 player that can at least half-bass LS duty in a pinch.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 27, 2023, 09:07:23 PM

In prior games he seemed to whiff blocks or block the wrong guy, often left blocking air.  The last game he seemed to be better at picking up his guy.  So I think he's improving and seeing things better.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: bunker on August 27, 2023, 09:59:59 PM
So Buck has clearly diagrammed some plays that require a FB in the blocking scheme, and as long as we run these sets as a main part of our offence (even if its for only 5-7 plays a game), it looks like a FB will be on the roster, and until/if Miller is back, it looks like that's going to be Jackson.

Ya, he's like a 6th or 7th OL that can move around faster, so the D's don't quite know where he's going to attack.  He's also a great diversion, if teams want to focus on where Jackson is lead blocking, Buck can just send Brady the other way.

More importantly, we've now shown he's a sneak-out pass threat, so someone (SAM?) has to spy him.  I still want to see Eli catch a pass as TE... I'd love to see a play with both Eli and Jackson in (we have done that) and they spy Jackson but ignore Eli who goes 8 yards downfield and turns to catch a pass.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 27, 2023, 10:24:14 PM

Miller.  Or we play with no FB: didn't we do that most of the season already?  If Miller isn't back yet and Jackson gets injured then the FB is empty space.
Never go full Rider!

bunker

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 27, 2023, 11:58:05 PM
Rempel getting trucked and concussed, and ushered in the Rempel Rule that you can't truck the LS.  I think Thomas Miles was our backup LS and finished the game and subsequent weeks.

That's not that long ago.  I does pay to have at least 1 player that can at least half-bass LS duty in a pinch.
Now to that you bring it up, I recall that one.  That's 4 years ago. We could go another 10 years without a long snapper injury now that the rule has been changed. I  think you need someone designated as doing it in a pinch, but I wouldn't dedicate a roster spot for something that's very unlikely to happen.