He SEALS the deal

Started by theaardvark, August 25, 2023, 04:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 27, 2023, 01:41:25 PM
McCrae is still a good player to use on offence. If Oliveria gets nicked in game he might end up starting before Augustine. That would force a ratio change on offence but that's what I think would happen. He can sub in for a receiver as well and be effective because of his speed.
I would play Augustine ahead of McCrae at RB.

3rdand1.5

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 26, 2023, 06:28:09 PM
Bennett has 6 DT's and 2 ST's and he's a Canadian. Jackosn hasn't recorded a stat. So at the moment he he's not as effective as Bennett.

True...but this was the first game I saw him get D-line reps...It took Bennet weeks to get a stat other than a penalty.

Yes Bennet is CDN and has a possible bright future but today if he can contribute occasionally on the D-line to the level of Bennet it gives us roster flexibility to have him play multiple positions and not have to roster an extra D-lineman in the rotation .

The real question is....can he contribute at at least a Bennet level.....

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 27, 2023, 02:22:04 PM
I would play Augustine ahead of McCrae at RB.

I agree, time for O'Shea to give Johnny a fair shake, he's been more than patient waiting for his opportunity to play and has played well when given the chance to contribute.

Blue In BC

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on August 27, 2023, 03:32:50 PM
True...but this was the first game I saw him get D-line reps...It took Bennet weeks to get a stat other than a penalty.

Yes Bennet is CDN and has a possible bright future but today if he can contribute occasionally on the D-line to the level of Bennet it gives us roster flexibility to have him play multiple positions and not have to roster an extra D-lineman in the rotation .

The real question is....can he contribute at at least a Bennet level.....

Bennett has had 1 DT in each of the last 6 games.  He's not yet a force so it's a small sample. However he does seem to be progressing. A Canadian that can contribute on the DL would be an asset if he continues to get reps. If we're in games where we're in firm control then he'll get those reps.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 27, 2023, 03:42:48 PM
I agree, time for O'Shea to give Johnny a fair shake, he's been more than patient waiting for his opportunity to play and has played well when given the chance to contribute.

I can't totally disagree. It's strange that Augustine doesn't get a few reps on offence. That said, McCrae is getting a few reps and is productive in meaningful time. He's at a disadvantage ratio wise but that's a fact.

In the past Augustine has had some big plays as a RB and receiver. IMO he's a little more elusive and faster than Oliveria but perhaps it's a blocking issue?
OTOH, Augustine does seem to be capable when he does get those reps.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 27, 2023, 03:58:18 PM
I can't totally disagree. It's strange that Augustine doesn't get a few reps on offence. That said, McCrae is getting a few reps and is productive in meaningful time. He's at a disadvantage ratio wise but that's a fact.

In the past Augustine has had some big plays as a RB and receiver. IMO he's a little more elusive and faster than Oliveria but perhaps it's a blocking issue?
OTOH, Augustine does seem to be capable when he does get those reps.

It's mostly because a stiff breeze usually tackles Augustine. Great athlete, just not physical enough to be more than a change up at running back.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 27, 2023, 04:16:22 PM
It's mostly because a stiff breeze usually tackles Augustine. Great athlete, just not physical enough to be more than a change up at running back.

Disagree, he's smaller than Olie but much quicker, so he's not a direct substitute for the hard running, like McCrae he needs space to succeed.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 27, 2023, 05:03:29 PM
Disagree, he's smaller than Olie but much quicker, so he's not a direct substitute for the hard running, like McCrae he needs space to succeed.

Yes. That's why he's not used more.

dd

I just don?t get the whole Johnny Augustine situation. The guy is faster and more athletic than Brady yet we let him rot away on the sideline. I just don?t get it. Brady has been awesome and is an extremely physical back but why not spell in JA and  give Brady a rest and his body a rest so he can be more productive in the long run and JA s in the groove with the offense in the event of injury to BO?? It would be the smart thing to do, oh there I just answered my own question !!

theaardvark

Augustine does yeoman's work on teams, and is a ratio pinch sub for BO20.  He will be on the roster ahead of McCrae, IMHO.

Jackson does back up at a lot of positions, which when you have a limited number of DA's is important.  A backup is never supposed to play every down, so having a guy at 80% of 3 spots vs. a guy that is 85% of 1 spot, I know who I'm dressing.  

Haba vs. Jackson, that's not really the trade off.  When Haba becomes healthy, he dresses as part of rotation, not as a "backup".  We should dress 7 DL when possible.

If Jackson had a different passport, he's on this roster for as long as he wants.  That's a given.

As a American, he's in that gray area, and there are usually Nats that can backup at LS, FB and DE, so it is harder to dress an American for that purpose.  But, we really don't have a backup LS or DE, so he gives something we don't otherwise have, in one roster spot.    
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 27, 2023, 05:03:29 PM

If he was functionally equivalent to BO20, he'd be on another roster probably.

He is different, but right now, BO20 is tearing up the league.  So, lets sit him and put an inferior player in for him.  Said no coach ever.

On the other hand, if teams figure out how to scheme to stop BO20 and we need a different look, JA27 is there to come in.  He no doubt has a package in Buck's playbook that they can roll out on a moments notice id BO20 gets injured, or is not being effective.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

bunker

Its great that Jackson can be a back-up long snapper, but that's pretty low on my priority list for a DA. When''s the last time our long snapper was injured in a game? And how did we survive for several years before Jackson arrived on the scene to save the day. I think that aspect of his value is nice to have, but pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. Cole plays on teams where he's more impactful than Jackson, and can also back up at LB. And Canadian fullbacks are a dime a dozen. If he's not off the active roster once Grant, Haba and Miller are back, then I don't know what to say.

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on August 27, 2023, 06:10:19 PM
Augustine does yeoman's work on teams, and is a ratio pinch sub for BO20.  He will be on the roster ahead of McCrae, IMHO.

Jackson does back up at a lot of positions, which when you have a limited number of DA's is important.  A backup is never supposed to play every down, so having a guy at 80% of 3 spots vs. a guy that is 85% of 1 spot, I know who I'm dressing.  

Haba vs. Jackson, that's not really the trade off.  When Haba becomes healthy, he dresses as part of rotation, not as a "backup".  We should dress 7 DL when possible.

If Jackson had a different passport, he's on this roster for as long as he wants.  That's a given.

As a American, he's in that gray area, and there are usually Nats that can backup at LS, FB and DE, so it is harder to dress an American for that purpose.  But, we really don't have a backup LS or DE, so he gives something we don't otherwise have, in one roster spot.    

I could back up a bunch of positions on the roster. It doesn't mean I'd be any good at any of them.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on August 27, 2023, 04:16:22 PM

That's true but there have been more opportunities to give him some reps then he's seen. It gives Oliveria a breather and protects him from injury. If in fact he's the next man up, he needs a few reps in games we have under control. Bailey, McCrae and Demski get reps but those are in very meaningful game time. When the game is no longer on the line, I'd like to see Augustine in the game.

The downside is that when he does come in for those instances, the defence already knows we're running to run down the clock. Catch 22 for him and he often gets nailed in the backfield.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 27, 2023, 07:26:39 PM
I could back up a bunch of positions on the roster. It doesn't mean I'd be any good at any of them.

But is Jackson better than you backing up at those spots? 

Hence my comments about "Is 80% at three spots better than 85% at one?"