Official Game Day Thread - Winnipeg at Calgary, August 18, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, August 17, 2023, 07:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigskin

Not one of our best wins, but it's a win. Dru, took a step. Purkop, had a very rough night. SC13  rock solid. Take it. Return game, was terrible, teams in general, not good.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on August 19, 2023, 04:07:28 AM
Very much agree. McCrae is not a returner not sure why O'Shea is not seeing that. Also need to one of Fox, Haba or Garbutt need to be in the lineup to keep the DL fresh.
Need a better backup returner agree

M.O.A.B.

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 19, 2023, 04:08:06 AM
Something has to change on our kick cover teams. That was even worse than our returns. Give credit to Stamp returner but still we didn't not cover well. What key ingredient are we missing?

Gauthier and Clements?

Gauthier, Miller and Hansen.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 19, 2023, 04:08:06 AM
Something has to change on our kick cover teams. That was even worse than our returns. Give credit to Stamp returner but still we didn't not cover well. What key ingredient are we missing?

Gauthier and Clements?
Agree, big issue all year.  Both those guys will help but might be schemes too?
Quote from: M.O.A.B. on August 19, 2023, 04:10:18 AM
Good point

Blue In BC

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on August 19, 2023, 04:07:28 AM
Very much agree. McCrae is not a returner not sure why O'Shea is not seeing that. Also need to one of Fox, Haba or Garbutt need to be in the lineup to keep the DL fresh.

I think we all like McCrae if and when we can use him a bit more on offence ( swiss army knife ). But if he's being used as a returner he sees less reps on offence. Overall it doesn't seem like the best option. Now it's been mentioned their are options to have both on the AR but O'Shea has chosen not to make that decision.

Bombers seem to have totally given up using Augustine on offence.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: pjrocksmb on August 19, 2023, 04:10:47 AM
Agree, big issue all year.  Both those guys will help but might be schemes too?Good point

I'm not sure if or when we'll see Hansen or Miller. That's why I mentioned Gauthier and Clements since they MIGHT be back soon.

Actually we can't forget about getting Grant back. That alone improves field position even when you have to punt.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 19, 2023, 04:13:33 AM
I'm not sure if or when we'll see Hansen or Miller. That's why I mentioned Gauthier and Clements since they MIGHT be back soon.
True

ModAdmin

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 19, 2023, 04:11:13 AM
I think we all like McCrae if and when we can use him a bit more on offence ( swiss army knife ). But if he's being used as a returner he sees less reps on offence. Overall it doesn't seem like the best option. Now it's been mentioned their are options to have both on the AR but O'Shea has chosen not to make that decision.

Bombers seem to have totally given up using Augustine on offence.

Although Augustine has had limited opportunities, IMHO he has not taken advantage of them.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

The Zipp

Quote from: M.O.A.B. on August 19, 2023, 04:10:18 AM

The replacements aren't getting it done..exhume is not the answer.

Miller is one of the best there ever was...he is getting up there in age.  Gauthier is close to coming back.

Maybe we need to adjust something cause against really good teams we can't be losing the feild position.

dd

I just don?t get why Johnny A isn?t taking offensive reps, I just don?t get it. We need to involve him and keep developing him as if Brady goes down, there goes our ratio.

I would give Augustine reps at returner. McRae letting that missed field goal bounce cost us 15 yards on our return in a tightly fought game. You just can?t do that

Blue In BC

Will re-watch game tomorrow.

Kramdi: I think I noticed him make a couple of good plays. Also noticed a couple, including the punt block which might have been errors on his part. Another in coverage that may not have been his primary responsibility

Jackson. Only saw him a couple of times. Once he may have chosen to block an inside rusher, causing real pressure / problem for Brown etc. etc.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

bunker

On the one hand, you should never complain when you get a win on the road with your #2 QB.

On the other hand:
Kick coverage terrible, I think we are worst in league. Leake will eat us up.
McRae a disaster as a returner, bobbles, fumbles or runs 3 yards into a pile of players.  Parker should be our returner til Grant is back.
Drew is not ready for prime time. He has the best set of receivers and running back in the league, and a top 3 O-line, but offense was anemic. Brady saved the day. There is no longer a QB controversy in Winnipeg if there ever was one.
One of MOS's worst games: why take a time count penalty at the end when you have your time outs? Why not challenge the penalty on Holm?The gamble on at the end on third and 1+ also a head scratcher to me. Get Calgary deep and trust defense is playing lights out, trust them to win the game.
Calgary should have been called for no yards on the punt at the end that bounced forwards and was caught by McRae on the hop.

But no complaints... we won. :D

Blue In BC

Quote from: The Zipp on August 19, 2023, 04:15:23 AM
The replacements aren't getting it done..exhume is not the answer.

Miller is one of the best there ever was...he is getting up there in age.  Gauthier is close to coming back.

Maybe we need to adjust something cause against really good teams we can't be losing the feild position.

+1
2019 Grey Cup Champions

ichabod_crane

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on August 19, 2023, 03:13:57 AM
Is he still married to that playboy playmate?  lol

According to Wikipedia he still is with her.

Pigskin

Quote from: dd on August 19, 2023, 04:16:49 AM
I just don?t get why Johnny A isn?t taking offensive reps, I just don?t get it. We need to involve him and keep developing him as if Brady goes down, there goes our ratio.

I would give Augustine reps at returner. McRae letting that missed field goal bounce cost us 15 yards on our return in a tightly fought game. You just can?t do that

I agree, that ball should never have bounced.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.