NFL cuts of CFL'ers thread

Started by theaardvark, July 31, 2023, 08:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 27, 2023, 07:36:36 PM
If we get Ford back I wonder how we handle his spot on the roster. Do they put him on the AR and who does he replace if we don't have an injury. If they try to add him to the PR he could decline leaving the door open to any CFL team or even trying to catch on elsewhere in the NFL.

At the moment he's not eligible to be picked up on waivers by another NFL team. NFL option window rule. I'm not sure they can't trade him within that rule but that seems unlikely.

Most cuts will be by Monday but PR spots may come back as they sort out whether they sign other players cut elsewhere. So could be a PR player on Tuesday and still cut before the 1st game.

Fingers crossed we get him back but I also hope he succeeds in his NFL dream.

Not sure how Ford rates as opposed to Exume, Hallett or Cadwallader, or even Jackson, Cole or Darby...  but you'd have to think its one of those guys that either goes to the 1 game, 6 game or PR...

By the time he's back, though, so many things can change... injury or otherwise.  Maybe even a trade of a spare part to make room?
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: theaardvark on August 27, 2023, 08:22:21 PM
Not sure how Ford rates as opposed to Exume, Hallett or Cadwallader, or even Jackson, Cole or Darby...  but you'd have to think its one of those guys that either goes to the 1 game, 6 game or PR...

By the time he's back, though, so many things can change... injury or otherwise.  Maybe even a trade of a spare part to make room?
Interesting debate.  Trade I wouldn't think so but maybe for a late pick in return.  Need two clubs to both have a need.

I would put Ford at 1st behind all those guys for a week one or two and then he would take priority for a roster spot as he gets in shape or learns our plays.  He would plug in faster if we had an injury.

Pete

n terms of our potential roster I would make the following decisions in OShea's place;
Clements when healthy comes in for Cole
Haba comes in for Jackson
If ford comes back i would replace Exume rather than Briggs only because of experience..however I do believe Briggs is approaching his expiry date
When Grant returns I'd love to find a way to keep Mcrae on the roster because he can change up the pace of a game as a reciever or a runner (perhaps in place of Darby if we have someone else that can back up Kramdl.

Of course i'm not a two time grey cup winning coach but it is fun to speculate

Blue In BC

Quote from: theaardvark on August 27, 2023, 08:22:21 PM

Ford was a high draft choice and got an NFL look, so that's impressive. In the one game he did play in 2022 when we played our back ups he played well. He's fast and very athletic but a raw talent.

I'd think initially he'd spend time on the 1 game IR so he could re learn the play book. Hallett is a solid back up for Alexander and great on ST's. Exume has played pretty well but he might be the one getting bumped. Wouldn't expect an import to come off for a Canadian.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: Pete on August 27, 2023, 09:02:19 PM
n terms of our potential roster I would make the following decisions in OShea's place;
If Jones comes back i would replace Exume rather than Briggs only because of experience..however I do believe Briggs is approaching his expiry date
When Grant returns I'd love to find a way to keep Mcrae on the roster because he can change up the pace of a game as a reciever or a runner (perhaps in place of Darby if we have someone else that can back up Kramdl.

Pretty much agree on those possible changes. The one I'm not sure about is whether Cole has passed Clement as a DI.

BTW you said Jones but I think you meant Ford.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

bunker

Quote from: Pete on August 27, 2023, 09:02:19 PM
If Jones comes back i would replace Exume rather than Briggs only because of experience..however I do believe Briggs is approaching his expiry date

I generally agree.  But if you have Sergio, and Grant as definite DA's, and you want Clements and Haba as DAs on defence/specials, there does not seem to be any way to find room for McRae. Unless of course we use the nationalized American in some way, but O'Shea does not seem to like doing this. (Why I do not know, since if we designated Willy as our designated Nationalized American, we could basically rotate Haba and the Jeffs at DE at will, and use the last designated American slot on McRae (or maybe more likely Jackson  :D, so maybe there's no point in it.)

Pete

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 27, 2023, 09:34:33 PM
Pretty much agree on those possible changes. The one I'm not sure about is whether Cole has passed Clement as a DI.

BTW you said Jones but I think you meant Ford.
Clements was playing very well prior to his injury while Cole gets very few reps  ..mainly on plays to rush the qb so I think he was ahead of Cole prior to and still is (and thanks for the correction for some reason i always get ford and jones mixed up)

Blue In BC

Quote from: bunker on August 27, 2023, 09:52:46 PM
I generally agree.  But if you have Sergio, and Grant as definite DA's, and you want Clements and Haba as DAs on defence/specials, there does not seem to be any way to find room for McRae. Unless of course we use the nationalized American in some way, but O'Shea does not seem to like doing this. (Why I do not know, since if we designated Willy as our designated Nationalized American, we could basically rotate Haba and the Jeffs at DE at will, and use the last designated American slot on McRae (or maybe more likely Jackson  :D, so maybe there's no point in it.)

The Nationalized American doesn't help McCrae per se. You still are limited to the same number of imports on the roster.

However, as mentioned a few times, is that we are starting 8 Canadians. Darby is a non starting import but he's also not a DI. As an example if we get Ford back that might free up moving Darby off the AR as a choice to keep McCrae when Grant returns.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

DM83

I would hope they would. Keep McRae.  He is a significant contributor on offence.

pjrocksmb

Agree with everyone's take on roster selections above.

bunker

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 27, 2023, 10:16:08 PM
The Nationalized American doesn't help McCrae per se. You still are limited to the same number of imports on the roster.

However, as mentioned a few times, is that we are starting 8 Canadians. Darby is a non starting import but he's also not a DI. As an example if we get Ford back that might free up moving Darby off the AR as a choice to keep McCrae when Grant returns.
I think I would probably favour McRae over Darby if it works, once Grant is back. At least McRae adds an additional element to the offense and gives you options at RB if Brady is injured.

Blue In BC

Quote from: bunker on August 27, 2023, 10:37:56 PM
I think I would probably favour McRae over Darby if it works, once Grant is back. At least McRae adds an additional element to the offense and gives you options at RB if Brady is injured.

Some posters possibly from the other site suggested Cole might be a good candidate at SAM. At least in the future possibly. He's the same size as Rutledge in 2022.

That said Hallett and Exume are good size / speed and good tacklers and could be choices as well for in game choice to back up.

I don't know why Darby isn't playing even in much rotation on defence or ST's. So that continues to be a question about the back up situation at SAM.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

Quote from: bunker on August 27, 2023, 10:37:56 PM
Agree McCrae over Darby

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 27, 2023, 07:36:36 PM
If we get Ford back I wonder how we handle his spot on the roster. Do they put him on the AR and who does he replace if we don't have an injury. If they try to add him to the PR he could decline leaving the door open to any CFL team or even trying to catch on elsewhere in the NFL.

Assuming Darby is 100% healthy and he's just fallen out of favor, I would dress Ford instead of Darby.  Remove whatever-less-important-NAT-here to keep same # of NATs, and then reap the extra new DI spot for DL or a way to keep both McCrae and Grant when he comes back.

Assuming Ford can do SAM as well as DB... or someone else can and we simply shuffle if Kramdi gets injured.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 28, 2023, 12:46:09 AM
Assuming Darby is 100% healthy and he's just fallen out of favor, I would dress Ford instead of Darby.  Remove whatever-less-important-NAT-here to keep same # of NATs, and then reap the extra new DI spot for DL or a way to keep both McCrae and Grant when he comes back.

Assuming Ford can do SAM as well as DB... or someone else can and we simply shuffle if Kramdi gets injured.

Could do that. When Nichols briefly left the game against Montreal Darby came in at safety and Alexander moved to half back. Ford "played" field corner so not 100% sure if he would be good fit at safety or half back even as an emergency get out of the game guy. If we get Ford back I think we're more likely to replace a linebacker with Ford, which would give us an in-game corner backup and the experience and versatility of Darby. Ford was good on the cover teams so whoever we replace wouldn't be a drop off.