NFL cuts of CFL'ers thread

Started by theaardvark, July 31, 2023, 08:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RebusRankin

We have Ford's rights. Desjarlais left after his rookie deal was completed.

theaardvark

I guess they signed 2 year deals, not 3 year, and we just released them early, not with a season left...

2019 draft was pretty solid, Kongbo at 5th, and then:

WINNIPEG ? The Winnipeg Blue Bombers announced on Wednesday the club has signed the two of their 2019 CFL Draft selections ? offensive lineman Drew Desjarlais and receiver Malik Richards.

The team also announced on Monday that they have signed four other 2019 CFL Draft selections, defensive lineman Connor Griffiths, offensive lineman  Asotui Eli, running back Brady Oliveira and defensive back Kerfalla Exum?.

All six draft picks will be present at Bombers rookie camp which gets underway on Wednesday.

Desjarlais (6-2, 307, Windsor, April 24, 1997 in Belle River, ON) was selected fourth overall. He spent four seasons at Windsor, playing and starting 27 games over that time at both right and left guard.  He played for the West Team in the U SPORTS East-West Bowl last season and was named an OUA second-team all-star.

Richards (6-1, 195, Mount Allison University, in Brampton, ON) was selected 43rd overall. He appeared in 24 games over four seasons with the Mounties. In 2018, Richards caught 48 passes for 531 yards and three touchdowns, adding 18 rushes for 195 yards and two touchdowns on his way to being named an AUS all-star. Richards also played for the East Team in the 2018 U SPORTS East-West Bowl.

Griffiths (6-4, 290, UBC, July 6, 1997 in Langley, BC) was selected 25th overall in the 2019 CFL Draft. He played 42 games with the Thunderbirds, recording 48 tackles and six sacks over four seasons. Griffiths was named a Canada West All Star in his senior year and was named to the 2018 East-West Bowl after amassing 17.5 total tackles and two sacks, adding another 5.5 tackles and a sack in two playoff games. Griffiths was also named an All-Canadian in 2017.

Eli (6-4, 315, University of Hawai?i, in Richmond, British Columbia) was selected 34th overall in the 2019 CFL Draft. He appeared in 36 games over three seasons with the Rainbow Warriors. A redshirt junior in 2018, Eli was a key member of the line that helped UH to its best rushing average (168.2) in 22 years in 2017 and recorded 22 knockdowns on the season. Eli was named to the pre-season Rimington Award watch list for the second straight year in 2017 and was also named the Polynesian College Football Player of the Year Watch List prior to the season.

Oliveira (5-10, 228, North Dakota, August 15, 1997 in Winnipeg, MB) was selected 14th overall in the 2019 CFL Draft. He played 42 games at North Dakota, recording 2,822 rushing yards and 22 touchdowns over four seasons. He earned All-Big-Sky Honours in 2016 and 2017, and was a Jon Cornish Award Finalist in 2019, given to the most outstanding Canadian player in collegiate football. His best season came in his final one at UND, recording 980 rushing yards on 161 attempts, with eight touchdowns in just 11 games.

Exum? (5-11, 188, University of Montreal, February 24, 1994 in Montreal, QC) was selected 70th overall in the 2019 CFL Draft. He played in 22 games over four seasons with the Carabins. In 2018, he registered 11 tackles, two pass breakups and two interceptions, one of which he returned for a touchdown
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

The Zipp

From Naylor:

Jacksonville HC Doug Pederson confirms there is no competition for the #2 QB job behind Trevor Lawrence. And it belongs to C.J. Beathard. #NFL

Rourke played very well again today - coaches will roll with experience, that's on Rourke for signing there - he will need to be content to be #3 unless a team trades for him

pdirks67

Quote from: The Zipp on August 19, 2023, 08:46:09 PM
From Naylor:

Jacksonville HC Doug Pederson confirms there is no competition for the #2 QB job behind Trevor Lawrence. And it belongs to C.J. Beathard. #NFL

Rourke played very well again today - coaches will roll with experience, that's on Rourke for signing there - he will need to be content to be #3 unless a team trades for him

I am not in the least bit surprised, but Beathard has zero upside. I guess his floor may be a tiny bit higher though.

Blue In BC

We'll know in about a week whether Ford makes the Packers roster. If he does that would most likely be on their PR. I did notice that the Packers brought in another CB this week, so that increases his competition.

As an NFL option player, it's making the Packers or returning to the CFL if he wants to play. I don't know that he'd sit around waiting to get a call back from the Packers as the season progresses.

I'd like to see him back and he could be a good one in the future if he stays in the CFL.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Sir Blue and Gold

For what it's worth SI has Ford in the lowest probability band to make the roster (but note they could have a valid shot at the PR): https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/examining-packers-roster-through-lock-o-meter

peg_city

I'm going to have a good laugh if Rourke ends up on the practice roster and gets cut from it before next season only to end up back in the CFL.

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: peg_city on August 24, 2023, 06:39:54 PM
I'm going to have a good laugh if Rourke ends up on the practice roster and gets cut from it before next season only to end up back in the CFL.
Me to. 13 team tryouts and picked the Jags for various reasons. He can toil on PR rosters for years for all I care. He just won?t make it to be even a #2 down there.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Blue In BC

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on August 24, 2023, 08:28:49 PM
Me to. 13 team tryouts and picked the Jags for various reasons. He can toil on PR rosters for years for all I care. He just won?t make it to be even a #2 down there.

Whether he does or doesn't you can't blame him for trying. The lure of NFL money is too great to ignore. Look how much money Streveler has made toiling on NFL PR's.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

The Zipp

Buffalo Bills release former CFL defensive end Shane Ray with injury settlement: The Buffalo Bills have released former Toronto Argonauts? defensive end Shane Ray with an injury settlement. Ray played 12 snaps in the team?s preseason

pjrocksmb

Let the story be told before closing the book early.  Sky is the limit at the moment.

Blue In BC

Tyrell Ford got a few reps in the 4th Q in the Green Bay game. I only channel surfed the game so can't tell whether he played earlier.  It's still a question whether they retain him on their PR or not.

PR rosters may not be fixed for a week after the cut down day.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 26, 2023, 08:04:01 PM
Tyrell Ford got a few reps in the 4th Q in the Green Bay game. I only channel surfed the game so can't tell whether he played earlier.  It's still a question whether they retain him on their PR or not.

PR rosters may not be fixed for a week after the cut down day.
Thanks!

Blue In BC

If we get Ford back I wonder how we handle his spot on the roster. Do they put him on the AR and who does he replace if we don't have an injury. If they try to add him to the PR he could decline leaving the door open to any CFL team or even trying to catch on elsewhere in the NFL.

At the moment he's not eligible to be picked up on waivers by another NFL team. NFL option window rule. I'm not sure they can't trade him within that rule but that seems unlikely.

Most cuts will be by Monday but PR spots may come back as they sort out whether they sign other players cut elsewhere. So could be a PR player on Tuesday and still cut before the 1st game.

Fingers crossed we get him back but I also hope he succeeds in his NFL dream.
2019 Grey Cup Champions