NFL cuts of CFL'ers thread

Started by theaardvark, July 31, 2023, 08:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Whether or not Strev is a starting QB, he's sure gotten more posts than anyone!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on August 17, 2023, 02:55:15 AM
Whether or not Strev is a starting QB, he's sure gotten more posts than anyone!

Cause everyone loves Strevie!!  Even all the other teams' fans (well, maybe not HAM and CGY).  Sask fans see him as a potential season-saver option, should he finally quit the NFL.
Never go full Rider!

The Zipp

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 16, 2023, 04:58:45 PM
You're right about the CFL games he's played, I forgot about the period between Nichols going down in game 10 and Zach's arrival when Strev. started 8 games and went 3-5 which explains their wanky 2019 record of 11-7.  Still, I think he's probably progressed enough since 2019 to be a reasonable option for some teams to consider.

He's been a backup/special package QB since going to the NFL. He hasn't even started a single game in that time. I'm not sure how that's helped him progress as a passer, much less as a starter - in any league.

I do think he remains a fantastic option in a tandem QB system were he to set his sights on the CFL should the opportunities in the NFL dry up.

All of that seems pretty moot at this point, though: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/chris-streveler-let-go-with-injury-settlement/

The Jets waived Streveler (thumb) from injured reserve with an injury settlement Wednesday, Aaron Wilson of KPRC 2 Houston reports.

Streveler was slated to miss the entire 2023 campaign on IR, but he's now free to join a new team once he can pass a physical. The 2020 UDFA out of South Dakota has appeared in nine games over his first three NFL seasons, seven over two years in Arizona and two with the Jets last year, but he's never held a starting role.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

The Zipp

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on August 17, 2023, 01:22:51 PM
He's been a backup/special package QB since going to the NFL. He hasn't even started a single game in that time. I'm not sure how that's helped him progress as a passer, much less as a starter - in any league.

I do think he remains a fantastic option in a tandem QB system were he to set his sights on the CFL should the opportunities in the NFL dry up.

All of that seems pretty moot at this point, though: https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/chris-streveler-let-go-with-injury-settlement/

That settles it...he must have done a number on this thumb...wonder what the settlement $$ was?

Waffler

He's been a backup/special package QB since going to the NFL. He hasn't even started a single game in that time.

Not to nit pick but he did have one start in Arizona. Also decent numbers in a game last year as a replacement. I do think he's a better QB today than he was here. I think every fan  just wants to see him play.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

blue_gold_84

Quote from: Waffler on August 17, 2023, 02:01:21 PM
Not to nit pick but he did have one start in Arizona. Also decent numbers in a game last year as a replacement. I do think he's a better QB today than he was here. I think every fan  just wants to see him play.

I stand corrected.

However, it looks like he started one game last year as a member of the NY Jets (2022/12/22): https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/StreCh00/gamelog/

I don't think that includes pre-season stats, though.

I do agree that he's a better QB than he was four years ago based on his experience accrued since 2019, but I still have my doubts regarding his capability to be a consistent starter. That being said, I'd much prefer to see him play than sit on the sidelines.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

Throw Long Bannatyne

That's probably it for his NFL career, but you never know.  It sets him up for a CFL bidding war next off-season for his services, should be 3-4 teams interested.  No chance he's coming home, he'll go to the highest bidder.

DM83

Predicting the future?..
The Bombers could lose both back ups, as they easily fill a role..

The O line may replace 3/7 of the guys, as they are getting older.

Bhtbwe are  in good shape. For the other positions.

So Strev could be here.:)

Pete

Anyone have any thoughts of what we should target with the nfl cutdown date looming (aug 29th I believe)
I woud think we'd be looking at signing a few even if its for anticipation of next year
Weakside lb
Both defensive tackle and end ,we may be able to go with 4 import d line
Linebacker - possible replacement for bighill
wide reciever,,,  Schoen is a free agent that will command big bucks
depending on how Ivy and Richardson look a offensive tackle

Im also hoping we see Ford back

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on August 17, 2023, 05:42:11 PM
Weakside lb

Wilson back and seems totally healthy and back to his old form.  Not sure WILL is a need.  Unless you mean as a better backup than Clements...

Me, I'm praying Wilson just stays healthy and we can worry about other positions.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: Pete on August 17, 2023, 05:42:11 PM
Anyone have any thoughts of what we should target with the nfl cutdown date looming (aug 29th I believe)
I woud think we'd be looking at signing a few even if its for anticipation of next year
Weakside lb
Both defensive tackle and end ,we may be able to go with 4 import d line
Linebacker - possible replacement for bighill
wide reciever,,,  Schoen is a free agent that will command big bucks
depending on how Ivy and Richardson look a offensive tackle

Im also hoping we see Ford back

I don't really think NFL cut down day affects us much, but we should be looking at DL and OL prospects for down the line.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

Quote from: Jesse on August 18, 2023, 04:36:35 PM
I don't really think NFL cut down day affects us much, but we should be looking at DL and OL prospects for down the line.

We might get Ford back after the 29th. It may depend on how early he gets cut whether he gets a PR offer. He can't jump to another NFL team as part of his NFL option. He's still under contract with the Bombers.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

theaardvark

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 18, 2023, 04:44:12 PM
We might get Ford back after the 29th. It may depend on how early he gets cut whether he gets a PR offer. He can't jump to another NFL team as part of his NFL option. He's still under contract with the Bombers.

Are you sure?  He was released... wouldn't it be the same as Dejarlais?  Ford was released after one year, Desjarlais after 2, but at the time of release, both were on their ELC's no? Kongbo too?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: theaardvark on August 18, 2023, 05:06:46 PM
Are you sure?  He was released... wouldn't it be the same as Dejarlais?  Ford was released after one year, Desjarlais after 2, but at the time of release, both were on their ELC's no? Kongbo too?

We retain Ford?s rights.
My wife is amazing!