NFL cuts of CFL'ers thread

Started by theaardvark, July 31, 2023, 08:13:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on August 15, 2023, 03:26:02 PM
Strev. has not established himself as a passer in the CFL yet because he's only thrown the ball a few dozen times, if given consecutive starts I'm sure he would figure it out, he's neither dumb or physically incapable.

He hasn't done it in the NFL either.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on August 15, 2023, 03:30:53 PM
He hasn't done it in the NFL either.

He also hasn't played consecutive games, every QB deserves some rope.  It took V.A. about 6 years to show he could be a reliable starter, why write Strev. off before giving him a chance?

theaardvark

It comes down to reading defences in the CFL, and that takes time behind centre.  Streveler has a decent arm, he showed that dropping the dime to Harris in the endzone.  Did he go through reads to find Harris?  Not too sure of the, but he got the job done.

With the right OC, he could be a very effective CFL QB.  If he wanted to.

I think he might have missed the boat, though, in passing up the chance at being an NFL FB or TE...  he might start at that position, had he worked on that since college instead of chasing QB dreams.  Not worth it to be a CFL TE,FB... but an avenue should he still want to play...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on August 15, 2023, 01:33:24 AM
If the league is full of Ricky Rays, then Strev can't be a starter.

If the league is full of Crums and Calebs and Cornys and Danes and Powells and Dolegalas, then 100% for sure Strev will be a starter.

lmao, sure.

If every team has a Hall of Fame level QB, Strev might be out of luck.
My wife is amazing!

DM83

As Strev is, he could start for six teams easily.

blue_gold_84

Strev. has not established himself as a passer in the CFL yet because he's only thrown the ball a few dozen times, if given consecutive starts I'm sure he would figure it out, he's neither dumb or physically incapable.

For two seasons, he dressed for 35 games and started 12. He's made 374 pass attempts as a CFL QB. Despite pretty ample opportunity, he never did seem to "figure it out" sufficiently to be a starter.
#forthew
лава Україні!
井の中の蛙大海を知らず
What a wretched timeline.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on August 15, 2023, 04:33:49 PM
For two seasons, he dressed for 35 games and started 12. He's made 374 pass attempts as a CFL QB. Despite pretty ample opportunity, he never did seem to "figure it out" sufficiently to be a starter.

Yeah... he was never good enough to be a starter in the CFL, so instead he went to the upstart NFL league and earned a pension by playing enough games....

Trying to circle that square here...

I guess Johnny Manzeil could never hack it up here either...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

ModAdmin

Unfortunately, a lot of people look at Streveler's popularity here and his short yardage success skills to suggest he could be a starter in the CFL.  He wasn't a bonifide starter here or in the NFL. It's pure speculation he could be a starter on ANY team right now.  Will he ever get another shot at it here?  Who knows.  I wish him nothing but the best in the future. But there is zero evidence that he is a potential starter.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

Jesse

Quote from: ModAdmin on August 15, 2023, 06:10:28 PM
Unfortunately, a lot of people look at Streveler's popularity here and his short yardage success skills to suggest he could be a starter in the CFL.  He wasn't a bonifide starter here or in the NFL. It's pure speculation he could be a starter on ANY team right now.  Will he ever get another shot at it here?  Who knows.  I wish him nothing but the best in the future. But there is zero evidence that he is a potential starter.

The evidence is the absolute incompetence that is being trotted out by teams right now.
My wife is amazing!

Nic16

Quote from: Jesse on August 15, 2023, 08:24:39 PM
The evidence is the absolute incompetence that is being trotted out by teams right now.

Agreed.

I think a CFL team built around a strong D and heavy run game would benefit Streveler.

Mix in 150-200 yds per game rushing with 175-200 yds per game passing and Streveler would be good enough to make you a very competitive team in the majority of your games.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Jesse on August 15, 2023, 08:24:39 PM

It's kind of an unfair statement but I get your point.

DM83

Strev was motivated. Manzell was given more than he deserved.  No hunger to succeed.  Strev is the kind of guy you want on a team.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on August 15, 2023, 04:33:49 PM

You're right about the CFL games he's played, I forgot about the period between Nichols going down in game 10 and Zach's arrival when Strev. started 8 games and went 3-5 which explains their wanky 2019 record of 11-7.  Still, I think he's probably progressed enough since 2019 to be a reasonable option for some teams to consider.

TecnoGenius

Strevie was the only Bomber to through a TD in our 2019 GC.... just sayin'

Beaut too.
Never go full Rider!

dd

It was a nice pass, but  face it, he was a big strong bull of a runner who was good on short yardage situations, but he struggled with the passing game and as a starter. It was a nice pass though.