Injury Report

Started by theaardvark, July 05, 2023, 09:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on July 23, 2023, 06:37:40 PM
We won?t hear nothing until practise revs up again next week.

He isn't eligible to practise yet on the 6 game IR. So there will be nothing to hear until that happens or he is removed or extended. IIRC it was an ankle injury which could take weeks or months depending on the extent.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

bunker

I actually thought Parker did a nice job on returns last game. Looked comfortable catching the ball, and went north south for reasonable yardage. Smart play to hold the ball in the endzone and not let it roll out, to give up the single and get field position. He's not Grant, but he's an adequate replacement until Grant returns.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bunker on July 23, 2023, 09:37:52 PM
I actually thought Parker did a nice job on returns last game. Looked comfortable catching the ball, and went north south for reasonable yardage. Smart play to hold the ball in the endzone and not let it roll out, to give up the single and get field position. He's not Grant, but he's an adequate replacement until Grant returns.

McCrae is already taking up a roster spot to fill the returner job, can't waste another spot just to catch kicks when the D-line could use extra manpower.  No problem if Parker also slides in at DB and someone else sits out, "pick a card, any card".

bunker

The only guy available as a DI on the D-line is Fox, who they don't seem to want to play (to the point of rostering Damian Jackson over him last game). If Schoen is out, McCrae will replace him. If Schoen plays,I would roster Parker as a returner, and sit either McRae or Jackson, both of whom play limited reps on offence. (Jackson would be my choice) McRae was really bad in returns against Ottawa IMO. If Wilson is back, that changes things, but I would still roster Parker  over McRae as a DI. He's a much better returner, I think he's better on kick coverage, and McRae plays very limited reps on offence. (Although I like what he does when he gets the ball). Parker also gives you a 6th DB in case of injury or as an extra DB in other situations.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 23, 2023, 09:53:02 PM
McCrae is already taking up a roster spot to fill the returner job, can't waste another spot just to catch kicks when the D-line could use extra manpower.  No problem if Parker also slides in at DB and someone else sits out, "pick a card, any card".

McCrae had quite a few snaps on O.  Or was that just after Shoen was hurt?  In fact, I don't recall McCrae returning any kicks: it looked like #7 did all the kick duty, though I could be wrong.

Yes, having separate IMP KR and PR rostered is novel and kind of dumb, but in this case it worked out ok.
Never go full Rider!

bunker

Parker did all the returns other than a couple of short kickoffs that went to Augustine and McRae. McRae got more O reps once Schoen was hurt.

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: TecnoGenius on July 24, 2023, 08:49:28 PM
McCrae had quite a few snaps on O.  Or was that just after Shoen was hurt?  In fact, I don't recall McCrae returning any kicks: it looked like #7 did all the kick duty, though I could be wrong.

Yes, having separate IMP KR and PR rostered is novel and kind of dumb, but in this case it worked out ok.

BOLO is also dressed every game ready to replace any receiver that goes down, it seems inefficient use of the roster when the D-line could use an extra body.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 24, 2023, 09:32:47 PM
BOLO is also dressed every game ready to replace any receiver that goes down, it seems inefficient use of the roster when the D-line could use an extra body.

It is not. What Canadian would you replace him with on the defensive line? And if you did that, and a Canadian receiver got hurt, what Canadian player goes in if O'Leary Orange is not dressed?

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 26, 2023, 01:30:08 PM
It is not. What Canadian would you replace him with on the defensive line? And if you did that, and a Canadian receiver got hurt, what Canadian player goes in if O'Leary Orange is not dressed?

You miss the point, dressing both McCrae and Parker and not using either to start, they miss the opportunity to dress a D-lineman such as Fox in an area of need.

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on July 26, 2023, 04:31:32 PM
You miss the point, dressing both McCrae and Parker and not using either to start, they miss the opportunity to dress a D-lineman such as Fox in an area of need.

If you're not talking about O'Leary Orange anymore, and instead Parker/McCrae, then this is what I can think of:

Parker was used as the primary kick returner and the emergency corner and HB in case of injury. Those seems important to me. Who would do those if you took Parker out and added Fox?

There could be more of a case to be made with McRae, but he certainly fills a role and has been mostly effective. He's helpful attacking the perimeter in the run game.

Blue In BC

Digressing thought: was Richardson's injury and release by the Lions, careering ending? OTOH was this more about not being available for a large part of the 2023 season?

Just a rhetorical thought about whether he might be available in the future and have interest in returning to the CFL? After missing this much time, he's not going to command a top player contract any longer. That and it might just be a 1 year deal for a 1/2 season.

2019 Grey Cup Champions

Blue In BC

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on July 26, 2023, 05:01:19 PM
If you're not talking about O'Leary Orange anymore, and instead Parker/McCrae, then this is what I can think of:

Parker was used as the primary kick returner and the emergency corner and HB in case of injury. Those seems important to me. Who would do those if you took Parker out and added Fox?

There could be more of a case to be made with McRae, but he certainly fills a role and has been mostly effective. He's helpful attacking the perimeter in the run game.

I think the question might be whether Fox was a better alternative to having Jackson on the roster.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 26, 2023, 05:03:33 PM
Digressing thought: was Richardson's injury and release by the Lions, careering ending? OTOH was this more about not being available for a large part of the 2023 season?

Just a rhetorical thought about whether he might be available in the future and have interest in returning to the CFL? After missing this much time, he's not going to command a top player contract any longer. That and it might just be a 1 year deal for a 1/2 season.

Stove retired, he's done.  I believe he reinjured himself in the off-season training.

bunker

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 26, 2023, 05:05:26 PM
I think the question might be whether Fox was a better alternative to having Jackson on the roster.
Agree. Hard to believe they can't find a Canadian who can play a few offensive snaps for blocking and special teams. Be nice to have Miller back or find a younger facsimile.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: Blue In BC on July 26, 2023, 05:05:26 PM
Another poster mentioned how Jackson was used effectively for blocking.