Winnipeg Blue Bombers re-sign receiver Nic Demski to three-year extension

Started by ModAdmin, February 05, 2023, 07:41:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: Blue In BC on February 06, 2023, 09:02:05 PM
He only played 1 and a part games before getting injured. His injury history has not been good. Unfortunate or prone IDK. Showed well in the one full game.
righty O

He only played 1 game really but boy was it a good one.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Imagine how difficult it would be for a DC to defend against Demski, Schoen and Agudosi in the redzone, they have no need for Lawler or Lewis.

theaardvark

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 06, 2023, 08:55:50 PM
Correct me if I am wrong but Agudosi was hurt then played a couple games, including that monster Calgary game, but then got hurt again for the balance of the year?

Yup... have to wonder if that frame just isn't made for football... 6'6, 217... and he's 29 now...

Maybe he has a great year...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

pjrocksmb

Quote from: blue_or_die on February 06, 2023, 09:03:10 PM
With the new vet guaranteed money rule, any long term deal (by CFL standards) we can assume includes guaranteed $
Thanks

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on February 06, 2023, 01:58:08 PM
Jeff Hamilton says he's "hearing" that it averages 190K.

Very pricey for a WFC WR/SB.  But Demski is a special case, and fits with what we need to do right now.  Totally worth it.

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 06, 2023, 05:49:48 PM
If Bailey leaves I have fully expect Agudosi steps in as a starter, he's paid his dues and deserves his chance.

Ya, Agudosi might be the next big thing.  It was 2 TDs he got in his one game, IIRC (which is crazy insane, and really helped my fantasy that week).  He was unstoppable in the EZ.  Much like Eric Rogers, you just can't defend such a tall body that can also climb the ladder.  He can probably catch wire balls that are 9' up in the air.
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 07, 2023, 04:16:02 AM
Very pricey for a WFC WR/SB.  But Demski is a special case, and fits with what we need to do right now.  Totally worth it.

It's a great deal considering his passport, his versatility, and leadership. Being a hometown boy only sweetens the deal.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

TecnoGenius

I guess this means Demski gets 2nd billing only to Zach when they do IGF O player introductions??  Who 4 years ago would have pegged Demski to be our #1 receiver, and being more important than the RB?
Never go full Rider!

the paw

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 08, 2023, 12:24:19 AM
I guess this means Demski gets 2nd billing only to Zach when they do IGF O player introductions??  Who 4 years ago would have pegged Demski to be our #1 receiver, and being more important than the RB?

You are behind on the news.  Lawler's coming back, he's #1, and Schoen led the league last year, so you have to put him at #3.  Demski brings a lot of intangibles and warm fuzzies to go along with his skill set, but I would be surprised if he surpassed either of those in production. 
grab grass 'n growl

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: the paw on February 08, 2023, 12:58:47 AM
You are behind on the news.  Lawler's coming back, he's #1, and Schoen led the league last year, so you have to put him at #3.  Demski brings a lot of intangibles and warm fuzzies to go along with his skill set, but I would be surprised if he surpassed either of those in production. 

Demski is easily the number 3 target and depending on camp/how Agudosi works out could be 4.

People love Demski because he's Canadian and therefore more important due to the rules but if you compare output he is basically on par with the Rasheed Bailey/Markeith Ambles type guys.

It's fine and even great when you are taking about Canadian receivers but it is still just that.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: the paw on February 08, 2023, 12:58:47 AM

Missed it by just a few posts!  The order to the IGF pre-game announcements doesn't always follow production, or $$.  I always found it interesting what they do on D, with the changes in order between Bighill/Willie.

Demski is the hometown hero and now the 2nd highest paid receiver.  If for some reason he also ends up leading the O in TDs I could see Demski taking #2 spot in announcement order.
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on February 08, 2023, 01:11:45 AM
People love Demski because he's Canadian and therefore more important due to the rules but if you compare output he is basically on par with the Rasheed Bailey/Markeith Ambles type guys.

It's fine and even great when you are taking about Canadian receivers but it is still just that.

Are you nuts?  Comparing Demski to Ambles and Bailey??  Did you see all the explosions and TDs Demski pulled off last season?  Watched his post-season play?  His very respectable stats on the ground?

You can say some things about Demski, but not that he's Ambles/Bailey, both of whom will command under $150k on the FA market.
Never go full Rider!

Jesse

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 08, 2023, 01:41:12 AM
Are you nuts?  Comparing Demski to Ambles and Bailey??  Did you see all the explosions and TDs Demski pulled off last season?  Watched his post-season play?  His very respectable stats on the ground?

You can say some things about Demski, but not that he's Ambles/Bailey, both of whom will command under $150k on the FA market.

His production is virtually identical to those two players. And Bailey is a tenacious run blocker (who has played every game the last two years).

I love Demksi, but you exaggerate his impact like crazy. 
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Jesse on February 08, 2023, 01:51:46 AM
I love Demksi, but you exaggerate his impact like crazy. 

Here's the thing, you know part of the reason why Schoen was always getting open for all those TDs?  Demski taking double coverage on many/most plays.

If we have Demski/Lawler/Schoen/Agudosi/Woli then D's are doomed.  We'll look like 2009 Alouettes.

We might continue our 2022 transition from being a D-dominant team to an O-dominant team.
Never go full Rider!

Sir Blue and Gold

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 08, 2023, 01:41:12 AM

Demski would absolutely be worth about what Bailey is if he weren't Canadian. That's undoubtedly a fact. We will see what the future holds I guess. He's never been close to a 1000 yard receiver and other than his career year for TD grabs in 2022 (10), his next best year is 2021 at 4 TD receptions and 1 TD run. Usually he's good for about 5 TDs a season. I doubt the 2022 TD numbers are sustainable but I suppose that's what makes the game fun to watch - I'm looking forward to finding out. He's a good player with a cool Winnipeg story for sure. I can see why you love him but with a more neutral perspective I think he is absolutely comparable to that mid tier import receiver.

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Sir Blue and Gold on February 08, 2023, 01:38:54 PM
Demski would absolutely be worth about what Bailey is if he weren't Canadian. That's undoubtedly a fact. We will see what the future holds I guess. He's never been close to a 1000 yard receiver and other than his career year for TD grabs in 2022 (10), his next best year is 2021 at 4 TD receptions and 1 TD run.

I'm trying hard to see it your way, and for moments I can say "ya ok" -- Demski an IMP == Bailey $$... But then I really think about it and I still think you are wrong.  Taking the WPG out of it, taking the NAT out of it... Is Demski a CFL top-10 receiver by impact (not necessarily stats)?  I would think many in the league would say "yes".  Now how about top-5?  I might say yes, again (especially after Burnham leaving).  If not top-5, he's close.

And would you agree he's CFL top-1 NAT receiver?  I would.  Certainly top-2.  Would you rather have Gittens?  Not me.

No one who wants to lump Demski in with middling-receivers has explained why so many teams' "keys to the game" in 2022 were "stop Demski".  Not a single article was written in 2022 that said "stop Schoen", or "stop Ellingson".  No, it was always "stop Demski".  So, explain it if you want to convince me Demski==Bailey.

Literally the only fault I can find for Demski at the moment is he's not a bruiser that can take the punishing catch across the middle flat (that's Bailey).  But it's a minor quibble because he can blow you up in nearly every other way.
Never go full Rider!