Remaining Blue Bomber Free Agents as of January 9, 2023

Started by ModAdmin, January 09, 2023, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Pete on February 02, 2023, 05:38:35 PM
Is paying over 200k for a guy who gets 5-7 touches a game ( approx 70yds) a good investment?

When all the other teams say the gameplan the whole D around one player, that's the player you want to retain.

It's kind of like Willie J: all the O's gameplan around that smoke.  That's a game-breaker.

So, ya!!

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 02, 2023, 06:53:24 PM
Demski probably isn't the best pure receiver available this off-season as far as route running, but he is the most versatile, explosive and dynamic athletic playmaker available, and most importantly he fits the Bomber offence to a Tee.
Quote from: theaardvark on February 02, 2023, 07:43:34 PM
He is a ratio breaker and a dependable receiver with big play potential.  He makes defensive co-ordinators have to scheme different when he is on the field.

TLB and Aards know the score.

If we lose Demski and Schoen this year, then we are basically a bare cupboard and our O won't move the ball...
Never go full Rider!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: Nic16 on February 02, 2023, 11:11:23 PM
On a side note, I hope Walters has his eyes set on Lanier from Sask. I think he would fit in very nicely between the Jeff?s.

No idea on his status, but Lanier is like 1 of the 2 or 3 guys all the fans and radio pundits in SSK didn't want to burn last season.  I would think there's no way they let him go.  Unless O'Day and the Green Mafia really are that dumb...

If he does go to FA and is reasonable $$ then we pull one of our famous ex-SSK castoff pickups.  Those ex-greeners always work out well in blue & gold (Willie, Demski, Neuf, Hardrick, Dress, ...).
Never go full Rider!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Anyone know what Demski's off-season job is?  If it's more involved than personal training or selling cars it may help tie him to Wpg., also owing his own home would be an anchor more difficult to uproot.

theaardvark

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 03, 2023, 06:38:17 AM
No idea on his status, but Lanier is like 1 of the 2 or 3 guys all the fans and radio pundits in SSK didn't want to burn last season.  I would think there's no way they let him go.  Unless O'Day and the Green Mafia really are that dumb...

If he does go to FA and is reasonable $$ then we pull one of our famous ex-SSK castoff pickups.  Those ex-greeners always work out well in blue & gold (Willie, Demski, Neuf, Hardrick, Dress, ...).

The question is, does Lanier want to stay in SSK's dumpster fire.  Sure, the EDM are the laughing stock right now as far as roster signings, and good luck making the roster at a high pay without blowing everyone off the field.  But SSK has turmoil on the O, coaching and GM are in danger of being fired if they get off to a bad start, and they are my pick to pick first overall in 2024... do you want to be the best player on a losing team?  And have zero shot at post season money?

He will hit the tampering period, get some lucrative offers from contenders, and *maybe* SSK can convince him to stay for big bucks... but i doubt it.

Not saying we sign him, we already have a lot of SMS committed to the DL, and we usually find guys to fit, so we don't have a "need".  But another team definately will covet him and be able to make a better offer than SSK, unless ODay blows his SMS on him.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

Quote from: Throw Long Bannatyne on February 03, 2023, 04:42:39 PM
Anyone know what Demski's off-season job is?  If it's more involved than personal training or selling cars it may help tie him to Wpg., also owing his own home would be an anchor more difficult to uproot.

No doubt that the "home town discount" comes into play, as well as cashing nearly $100k in post season cheques the last three seasons.  But that doesn't mean we can sign him for $150k... he will get offers, and we will have to be competitive.  And I have no issue with that.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Pete

Looking at some teams like Toronto and Hamilton they seem to have a lot of free agents, I wonder if they don't have a number agreed to but aren't announcing them to throw other teams off.

theaardvark

Quote from: Pete on February 03, 2023, 05:05:16 PM
Looking at some teams like Toronto and Hamilton they seem to have a lot of free agents, I wonder if they don't have a number agreed to but aren't announcing them to throw other teams off.

The "tampering period" will quickly reveal those shenanigans, and might end up causing GM's problems if someone offers a player that is signed but unannounced a larger deal...

I can't see any GM doing this. 

We have a team culture that encourages players to stay.  Hence our re-signing rates.  Other teams might not have that advantage. Some players may be looking to upgrade from their current situation to a team like the Bombers.  And that's what the tampering week is for. 

All that having a lot of unsigned players today mean is that that will have a lot more work to do during the post tampering/preFA days.

theaardvark

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

bwiser

Quote from: theaardvark on February 03, 2023, 08:10:03 PM
OK, Grant is back... Demski now, please...
Agreed, Grant may have a bigger role in the receiving game if we don't get some experienced receivers in the lineup. Demski and Shoen if they sign will help solve that dilemma.

GOLDMEMBER

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

Jesse

My wife is amazing!

Throw Long Bannatyne

Quote from: bwiser on February 03, 2023, 08:23:46 PM
Agreed, Grant may have a bigger role in the receiving game if we don't get some experienced receivers in the lineup. Demski and Shoen if they sign will help solve that dilemma.

I think the Bombers always promise to get him more involved in the O, but it never quite works out.  Truth is it's hard to keep a dual role returner healthy, they're always getting banged up.

theaardvark

Problem with inserting Grant is he's good for certain gadget plays, but you tip your hand when you use him... plus, unless we are devoid of talent, I'd prefer to keep him fresh for returning.

As a backup in case of injury, sure.  No issue with that.

Just keep him going the way we have been.